Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

Are Flat-Earthers Being Serious?

flat earth society round earth conspiracy

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

Ha Ha Ha now that's funny.  :w00t:

#32    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,503 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

View PostHasina, on 31 October 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

I think my favorite part was about the NASA scientists who guard the wall of ice. If we keep cutting NASA's funding how will we pay for our Ice Wall Guards?

:lol: :lol: :lol: I want to be an Ice Wall Guard!

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#33    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 31 October 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

It's a thankless job, but there are moments of excitement...

Posted Image

:P

#34    Troublehalf

Troublehalf

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

Here you go people:

http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

If you go to their forums, they basically defend to the death that the Earth is flat. That  pictures from space are faked. 3D models of the Earth are computer generated. The Earth spinning is an optical illusion. They claim nobody has go into Space but only into high altitude. They claim the Earth is flat, but instead of using real science to explain this, they use fringe, pseudo and incorrect science to back it up.... Look at this picture. They claim that it shows flat Earth.

Posted Image

Even though a video shows the Earth curving, they say it's "bendy light" that makes it look like it's curving.

Some guy asked "how do people circumnavigate the Earth if it's flat?" the answer?

"They just sail in a circle around the north pole. They finish where they started, they go east or west the whole time and claim circumnavigation." They even provide a picture.

Some guy then asks "If the surface of the earth is flat, how did I manage to travel only east and wind up back where I started? Also, how do different daylight times / time zones arise? Thanks for your consideration."

The reply? "This confuses a lot of new people.  Let me try to explain it.  Let's say you are in an empty room that happens to have a large, powerful magnet in the middle of it.  The south pole of the magnet is buried deep under ground, but the north pole is at floor level.  Now you take a compass out of your pocket.  Anywhere you move to in that room, the compass will always show north as being towards the center of the room.

Now, let's say you turn until the compass says you are facing east and you begin to walk, being careful to make corrections as you walk so that the compass always says you are going east.  You would walk in a circle around the magnet and eventually end up in the same place that you started.  It's the same concept on a flat earth.

As for the time zone question, some here believe that the sun travels in a circle around the Earth near what is known as the equator and takes approximately 24 hours to make one revolution.  When the Sun is near the opposite side above the Earth from you, then it is dark where you are but brightly lit on the side where the Sun is located.  It is around noon directly under the Sun.

Hope this clears it up for you."

Seriously? Seriously? What I find most hillarious is that to most sane people, the world is round. There is one "theory" - The world is round... Or, an oblate spheroid.

However, one guy says "There's many versions of FET. Some do state such, yes. Others state that it's a disk, while others even state that they don't know exactly how far it reaches, but it is flat." - There are dozens of different theories for there being a Flat Earth... When Round Earthers have one. So, who is right if the Earth is flat?

Posted Image

I wish some people would just go and troll their website. I mean, seriously... Are these people dedicated trolls? I've known this site for at least 5 years.. It's a hell of a dedication if they are trolling. If they are serious.... They really need help. I really don't get it... somebody... help me :(

#35    Odds

Odds

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

• -Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes... After that, who cares. Your a mile away and you have his shoes. -

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

And i always thought that 'The flat earth society' was a satirical
site ....

~Today's mighty Oak is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground~

#36    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

Enter the Flat Earth Society. With over 200 members the society is based squarely on the notion that not only is the Earth a flat disc but that every single piece of evidence to the contrary is actually part of a massive conspiracy orchestrated by NASA and the government.

Ignoring evidence and calling it a conspiracy! Where's your evidence there is a conspiracy? *crickets*

Posted Image

#37    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,943 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 31 October 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

View PostbooNyzarC, on 31 October 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

It's a thankless job, but there are moments of excitement...

Posted Image

:P

Don't forget that...

Members of the Night's Watch swear an oath of duty that is binding for life and prohibits marriage, family and land ownership. Desertion is a crime punishable by death.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#38    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

One would think if the earth is flat then you wouldn't see the curvature of the earth when standing on a mountain top or on a tall radio tower. But...there are those that think that the Apollo moon missions and the Halacaust are faked.

#39    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

Fundamentalist muslim do believe the earth is flat, because the Koran says so.
E.g. check out this debate:

#40    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,503 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:49 AM

Pythagoras said the Earth was round in the 5th century B.C.E.. Hell, Eratothenes estimated the circumference of the earth to within 2% of the actual distance and all he used was a couple of sticks and some simple trigonometry!

A flat earth is one of the stupidest of ideas.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#41    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

View PostTaylor Reints, on 31 October 2012 - 10:08 PM, said:

Ignoring evidence and calling it a conspiracy! Where's your evidence there is a conspiracy? *crickets*
My conspiracy to hide the evidence of conspiracies is working perfectly...

Posted Image

~MEH~

#42    deadarise

deadarise

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:45 AM

This " earth is flat " is getting very very old! Welcome to the future people! The Earth and all other planets are ROUND! They must be watching too much cartoons -_-

#43    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,481 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:28 AM

My grandmother believed that the earth was flat. No, I'm serious.

She was born in 1911, a Mennonite (which is an anabaptist... okay, think 'Amish') in Saskatchewan (it's in the middle of Canada... think large and 'really really flat').

She saw airplanes that flew, but she said that "flying wasn't natural" (i.e.: the work of the devil). She also never believed we went to the moon. She just smiled when I asked her about that.

My grandfather watched TV (only for a little while though, in the evenings after his work was done), but my grandmother and the 'television set', no.

#44    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,936 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:45 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 01 November 2012 - 03:28 AM, said:

...in Saskatchewan (it's in the middle of Canada... think large and 'really really flat').

i love this description of saskatchewan! i'd say you were very kind lol

whenever i think of travelling across saskatchewan i think of the episodes of the flinstones where they are going down the street and every cave and every tree they pass is the exact same. kind of like the silos in saskatchewan along the highway

#45    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,481 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:05 AM

View PostJGirl, on 01 November 2012 - 03:45 AM, said:

i love this description of saskatchewan! i'd say you were very kind lol

Horizontal landscape. Spectacular storms....should be on their licence plate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users