Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 3 votes

Ancient mystery of why the sky is blue!?

science 2012 ancient

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

#1    MERC12

MERC12

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

The answer is quite simple, most of the gases in our atmosphere are mostly colorless except for Oxygen, as Oxygen travels through your veins it makes them green because of the blue oxygen within it, so therefore the same oxygen that flows through all of our veins also is the most abundant gas with color in Earth's atmosphere, giving it a blue hue during the daytime as the Sun helps it emit its blue color!

Nitrogen (N2) 78.084%(colorless)
Oxygen (O2) 20.946%(Blue)
Argon (Ar) 0.934%(colorless)
Carbon dioxide (CO2) 0.0383 %(colorless)
Neon (Ne) 0.001818 %(clear in gas form)
Helium (He) 0.000524 %(coloress)
Methane (CH4) 0.0001745 %( coloress)
Krypton (Kr) 0.000114%( coloress)
Hydrogen (H2) 0.000055 %( coloress)
There is also a varying amount of water vapor, depending on the altitude and conditions where it is measured.  Thanks and enjoy

references used: http://wiki.answers....39;s_atmosphere

#2    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Happy

• 3,100 posts

• I'll scream for you in whispers, because I always hated being too loud.

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:40 PM

Posted Image

"Good lord, what is happening in there?!" ................."Aurora Borealis?"

"A...Aurora Borealis?! At this time of year?!? At this time of day!?!  In this part of the country!? Localized entirely within your kitchen!?!"

#3    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:40 PM

View PostMERC12, on 26 August 2012 - 11:21 PM, said:

The answer is quite simple, most of the gases in our atmosphere are mostly colorless except for Oxygen, as Oxygen travels through your veins it makes them green because of the blue oxygen within it, so therefore the same oxygen that flows through all of our veins also is the most abundant gas with color in Earth's atmosphere, giving it a blue hue during the daytime as the Sun helps it emit its blue color!

Nitrogen (N2) 78.084%(colorless)
Oxygen (O2) 20.946%(Blue)
Argon (Ar) 0.934%(colorless)
Carbon dioxide (CO2) 0.0383 %(colorless)
Neon (Ne) 0.001818 %(clear in gas form)
Helium (He) 0.000524 %(coloress)
Methane (CH4) 0.0001745 %( coloress)
Krypton (Kr) 0.000114%( coloress)
Hydrogen (H2) 0.000055 %( coloress)
There is also a varying amount of water vapor, depending on the altitude and conditions where it is measured.  Thanks and enjoy

references used: http://wiki.answers....39;s_atmosphere

Thats not techically correct.   The reason the sky seems blue (its not actually made of anything blue) is that the make up of the atmosphere chemically contains elements that let the longer wavelengths of the light spectrum (red, orange, yellow) pass straight through and are not effected by the air.  The shorter wavelengths (blues purple and greens) get absorbed and the blue in particular gets reflected and scattered all around.  This is why when you look up, mostly what you see is blue.  

At night, the light of the sun is being blocked by the earth itself and since there is no light, then no colors are reflected or absorbed.  All we see is the blackness of space since the atmosphere itself is clear.

Sunsets are red and orange because at sunset the sun's light must pass through far more atmosphere to reach you.  the longer wavelengths then are absorbed and reflected and we see the various colors of sunset.

Just wanted to clear all that up.  Have a great day!

#4    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:45 PM

Oh and our veins (blue) are bluer in color because they are lacking in oxygen - the oxygen rich blood carried by our arteries is actually a brighter red.  :tu:

#5    MERC12

MERC12

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:58 PM

Sorry, i was just answering why the sky is blue on here, not your unproven scientific data that you haven't proven on here as i have already proven!

* snip *

Edited by Saru, 30 August 2012 - 02:30 PM.
Removed personal insults, flame

#6    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,048 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:03 AM

And there was me thinking it was because blue was on special offer purchase when the decorating was due!

Posted Image

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#7    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:06 AM

View PostMERC12, on 26 August 2012 - 11:58 PM, said:

- post removed -

Hey friend - I wasn't trying to start an arguments, only correct the misinformation that I saw.  I teach Middle School Science so this is something I have some experience explaining.  Not seeking anyone to bow down to me - just telling the truth.  I don't see any need for name calling.

Welcome to UM - watch out though, it is your right of course to post all the inaccuracies you feel like - but you will likely get called on it from many different angles.

Have a great day.  And relax a little.  :tu:

Oh and here's a source for you....from Nasa - they know a little bit about the sky.  

http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/blue-sky/

#8    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,499 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:10 AM

- post removed -

You would have appeared to have missed some basic science lectures:

http://www.sciencema...m/sky_blue.html

#9    TelegramSham

TelegramSham

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:22 AM

- post removed -

Wow, you seem to have a really bad attitude about the whole "open discussion" part of internet forums, especially for someone who's wrong about almost everything he posted. Orangepeaceful did a good job in pointing out mistakes you made, but there are actually a couple of big mistakes that show your explanation is funamentally wrong. By the way, everything I'm about to say has been proven, unlike the things you said. Firstly, oxygen is not blue. Your veins only look blue because you're seeing them through skin, which affects the color. Blood is red, and so are veins (darker red, because of less oxygen content) and arteries (brighter red). The "blood is blue" thing a lot of people seem to think is totally wrong. Secondly, nitrogen, what you showed as the gas with highest concentration in the atmosphere, is blue when light passes through it (don't high school chemistry classes do this experiment anymore?), and that's what the sky's color comes from; oxygen has nothing to do with it.

There's no reason to get mad because someone corrected you. Learn from your mistakes.

#10    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Happy

• 3,100 posts

• I'll scream for you in whispers, because I always hated being too loud.

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:23 AM

- post removed -

what a sunny disposition you have

"Good lord, what is happening in there?!" ................."Aurora Borealis?"

"A...Aurora Borealis?! At this time of year?!? At this time of day!?!  In this part of the country!? Localized entirely within your kitchen!?!"

#11    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:07 AM

Woah, never seen someone blow a fuse over the colour of the sky.

Also isn't another reason your veins look blue/green is because your skin doesn't let blue lightwaves travel through it as easy as the other colours? And the blue light ends up reflecting off your veins and skin.

Correct me if i'm wrong, busy and using a phone at the moment, can't double check.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#12    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 5,749 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:14 AM

Posted Image

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#13    RockabyeBillie

RockabyeBillie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

• And a million baneful words couldn't bring me to my knees.

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

HOW DARE YOU DISAGREE WITH ME THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE I KNOW WHAT I AM SAYING IS RIGHT BECAUSE I SAID SO RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Posted Image

Whether you think you can or whether you think you cant, you're right! -Henry Ford

#14    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 5,749 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:38 AM

View PostxROCKIEx, on 27 August 2012 - 01:34 AM, said:

HOW DARE YOU DISAGREE WITH ME THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE I KNOW WHAT I AM SAYING IS RIGHT BECAUSE I SAID SO RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

How dare you disagree with me and clearly show how I am wrong!! ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! I AM ANGRY ABOUT TRIVIAL THINGS!!!

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#15    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:39 AM

View PostIron_Lotus, on 26 August 2012 - 11:40 PM, said:

Posted Image
I've been watching this for the last two minutes straight...  I love certain animated GIFs...  :lol:

Also tagged with science, 2012, ancient

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users