Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should climate change have been on the agenda

Karlis

Yeh well, what did you expect there? Kettle black?

They are both not very interested.

Yeh well, what did you expect there? Kettle black?

They are both not very interested.

What do you think that reflects on their stand for President?

What do you think that reflects on their stand for President?

I think it does not matter much at this point, the bill is being written and we will have to pay.

I think it does not matter much at this point, the bill is being written and we will have to pay.

So -- your opinion on, *Politics in action* is not optimistic? :cry:

So -- your opinion on, *Politics in action* is not optimistic? :cry:

it could have made a big difference ten years ago, now it may make a little difference.

it could have made a big difference ten years ago, now it may make a little difference.

And -- that opinion is still debatable, imo.

And -- that opinion is still debatable, imo.

You can debate anything, even try to debate facts away. The facts don't care.

What kind of climate change are you talking about? The mythical anthropomorphic or just natural climate change? If we incorrectly identify the problem and Instead of adapting to the natural cycle of mother nature, we blame man for something we have no control over, then we throw trillions of our wealth down the drain. Man pollutes his environment, so we should focus on cleaning that up so that we can deal with climate change better. Pollution doesn't affect if it is going to get colder or warmer but it may affect the severity. And cleaning up our environment is far cheaper than trying to hold back the change of climate.

• Like 1

Here in the US we do not care about climate change. We will be fine, we have money (well at least the strongest military in the world.) The ones that need to worry are the poor countries and we do we not care about them...

Edited by HuttonEtAl

What kind of climate change are you talking about? The mythical anthropomorphic or just natural climate change? If we incorrectly identify the problem and Instead of adapting to the natural cycle of mother nature, we blame man for something we have no control over, then we throw trillions of our wealth down the drain. Man pollutes his environment, so we should focus on cleaning that up so that we can deal with climate change better. Pollution doesn't affect if it is going to get colder or warmer but it may affect the severity. And cleaning up our environment is far cheaper than trying to hold back the change of climate.

I wonder how cheap it is to sequester all those climate gasses sequestered by nature in the carboniferous, leading to a more moderate climate, that we have put back in since 1700...

Here in the US we do not care about climate change. We will be fine, we have money (well at least the strongest military in the world,) the ones that need to worry are the poor countries we do we not care about them...

You could not be more wrong, in the poor countries people are accustomed to be hungry without starting a riot.

• Like 1

This debate is the same as the evolution one...the only people that do not believe it are the US and Canada. Climate change is a fact, proven by scientific evidence. This is not debated in the scientific world, this is a political argument. The climate change happening now is NOT the natural climate change you speak of and we have the data to prove that.

This debate is the same as the evolution one...the only people that do not believe it are the US and Canada. Climate change is a fact, proven by scientific evidence. This is not debated in the scientific world, this is a political argument. The climate change happening now is NOT the natural climate change you speak of and we have the data to prove that.

To rephrase part of your post from another angle, HuttonEtAl:

~~~ ... Climate change is an assumed fact, based on scientific evidence. This is not debated in the scientific world, this is a political argument. ...

To rephrase part of your post from another angle, HuttonEtAl:

~~~ ... Climate change is an assumed fact, based on scientific evidence. This is not debated in the scientific world, this is a political argument. ...

Damn it, I would going to rephrase what I said to say it was a fact and not proven, because nothing in science can be proven...I figured everyone would get what I meant...you caught me though.

Edited by HuttonEtAl

Damn it, I would going to rephrase what I said to say it was a fact and not proven, because nothing in science can be proven...I figured everyone would get what I meant...you caught me though.

My viewpoint here is light-hearted. :tu:

You could not be more wrong, in the poor countries people are accustomed to be hungry without starting a riot.

Funny! Hard for me to sympathize with it getting warmer being from Seattle.

I have to agree that it would be pointless in the debates. There are basically 5 positions on the topic

1) you completely deny climate change...man made or otherwise.

2) you recognize climate change but deny the human involvement

3) you recognize climate change and are not sure if humans are influencing it

4) you recognize climate change and are satisfied that humans are influencing it

5) you recognize climate change and believe humans alone are causing it.

There is just too much wiggle room and a large part of the population is still confused and uncertain what is going on. They hear the arguments and shrug their shoulders.

Putting it into the debates would just drive further division of the people. As soon as their favorite politician took a position, they'd stand devout that it was the correct position...whether science agrees or not.

I saw Romney bring up "clean coal". A complete fabrication. There no such thing. Obama has supported "clean coal" in the past as well.

• 1 month later...

Obama breaks silence on climate change. Does this presage action in his second term?

It was one of the most unexpected lines in Barack Obama's barnstorming acceptance speech, and it got one of the biggest outbreaks of applause. After saying virtually nothing about climate change in many months, he declared: “We want our children to live in an America that isn't threatened by the destructive power of a warming planet”.

Read more details here