Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Goddess instead of God

Grandpa Greenman

Do you think the world would be different if rather than following a God the Abrahamic religions viewed the Divine as female rather than masculine? Mother rather than Father. What if Jesus or Mohammad would have been a women?

• Like 9

Aren't there a lot of examples of this in ancient history? I seem to recall that women were worshiped as divine from time to time by different cultures. Maybe I'm mistaken..it happens :w00t::yes:

• Like 3

Aren't there a lot of examples of this in ancient history? I seem to recall that women were worshiped as divine from time to time by different cultures. Maybe I'm mistaken..it happens :w00t::yes:

Yes, there are examples. No, it is not the norm over-all in the world we live in.

• Like 4

Does it really matter? I think gender is no more than an Earthly thing. Meant solely on reproduction. One's souls are born here and pass on to the afterlife. I don't think there is reproduction in the afterlife, I see no sense in it. Therefore why would there be different sexes in the adterlife? If anything, God has no gender affiliation. That's how I see it.

• Like 3

Does it really matter? I think gender is no more than an Earthly thing. Meant solely on reproduction. One's souls are born here and pass on to the afterlife. I don't think there is reproduction in the afterlife, I see no sense in it. Therefore why would there be different sexes in the adterlife? If anything, God has no gender affiliation. That's how I see it.

Hmmmm, theory is lovely and cosey, but in the world we live in, the practice far outweighs the theory.

Prior to the Council of Nicea (IIRC) "God" was both masculine and feminine, or at least the sacred divinity encompassed both masuline and feminine.

• Like 1

Prior to the Council of Nicea (IIRC) "God" was both masculine and feminine, or at least the sacred divinity encompassed both masuline and feminine.

Has this Council (IIRC) (never heard of it) informed the catholic church in Rome? or the Head of the Church of England? Or any of the other State Reglions of the world?

I believe the world would be a more compassionate place where social cooperation instead of competition (both always occur at the same time) is emphasized if the Goddess would have been the chief vehicle for divinity in the West.

It is as if there were a competition between the lunar-oriented worship of the Celts and the solar-oriented religion of the Germanic tribes. As the Celts slowly were pushed back to edges of Western Europe, the Romans taking most of Europe outside of Germania, then Germanic tribes took all of Western Europe after Roman decline, the Slavs occcupying the Eastern realms but with the philosophy of a Viking ruling class. The Celts disappered. Was not Stonehenge first correlated with moon worship then it was reconfigured to align with the passage of the sun?

A balance or better yet a total abandoment of gender altogether is preferred for the next stage of humanity but it will change from the masculine energy that has dominated the world's cultures for the last 5000 years. Coincidentally that is how long some, not all by any means, Christians believe the world has existed. Futher, their holy day is named after the Sun, the day they decided on as a matter of convention for Jesus' birthday happens to be the birthday of the Sun in many religions, the Winter solstice.

Edited by I believe you
  • Like 3

What if Jesus or Mohammad would have been a women?

A woman marrying a 6 year old girl just doesn't sound right.

A woman marrying a 6 year old girl just doesn't sound right.

Jefferson held slaves, Darwin believed in race and racial superiority, and Muhammad married his cousin who was a child. All things our society considers abhorrent but most are in possession of the intellect that understands we do not judge these men or the systems they excelled in by the cultural milieu of the eras they existed in.

Democracy has increasingly made life better for many in the last three centuries.

The theory of evolution has led to a radical reunderstanding of science.

And Islam has in its long history burned bright with some of the most liberal and open societies.

Many of the problems today in Islamic societies can be traced to extreme poverty, wealth inequality, both in wealth being concentrated on one hand in the hands of a few within those societies, and on the other hand with wealth being concentrated in Western and BRIC nations.

When young men do not have access to jobs and brides then war will always ensue. If anything their religion can be used as a tool of stability and security if the moderates of Islam were given more press time by the media. Provision of information is essential and currently lacking in Islamic societies.

The idea that Islamic societies are backward because of their religion is rooted in intolerance. That is quickly becoming an outdated notion. They are backward because of extreme economic inequalities.

Edited by I believe you
  • Like 1

Has this Council (IIRC) (never heard of it) informed the catholic church in Rome? or the Head of the Church of England? Or any of the other State Reglions of the world?

The Council of Council of Nicea (IIRC) was where the books of the Bible were chosen. It was 500 years after the death of Jesus.

What I find funny is that the Roman Catholics have taken on pagan aspects or practices. How many times have we heard of people praying to Mother Mary? With Pagan practices they worshiped both female and male deities. Now, Catholics worship both female(Mary) and male (Jesus/God). Funny how the female makes a return to such a male dominated religion.

• Like 2

It makes a difference; patriarchy

• Like 2

It wouldn't of made a difference. The only difference that would of appeared what the isms in a different direction. Men would of been slaves instead of women and all that garbage. Either way the same stuff would still happen just to a different party. Don't try to hold an illusion that women are better then men(or vice versa). Both sexes are human after all.

• Like 3

I think God is a perfect balance of both, don't care if it goes against anything. I also think that in the trinity the "holy spirit" has to be the feminine aspect at work as that can't possibly be missing in a balanced system.

• Like 4

I doubt the world would be too different. City Council workers would probably be a lot better dressed, talking about your feelings would be compulsory from age two and planet Earth would smell much nicer... but that's about it. Women are just as mental as us men, in my experience.

• Like 4

Yes, there are examples. No, it is not the norm over-all in the world we live in.

I beg to differ. There are images of Goddesses all over teenage boys' bedroom walls, worldwide. And please believe me, they are worshipped. :)

• Like 4

There is also a problem that it's unclear that actual women were treated any better in places where goddesses were worshipped than where gods were the focus, or the only show in town.

Rather like how all that worship by teenage boys of the ladies on their walls may not cash out in the boys' being better lovers of actual women.

• Like 3

Hi libstaK,

I thought i would add some Christmas humour, (joke)!

I'll be grinding my teeth on Christmas Day thinking of you adjusting your fig leaf in hot Australia, as you go down to the beach to have a barbecue, i'm freezing in the U.K!

However just in case the good book is right, don't eat Spare Ribs or Apples, and stay away from snakes, Ha Ha!

Obviously if you are right about a female god spirit, at New Year, don't do Auld Lang Syne, do a little jig like Wilson, Keppel & Betty shown below, keep watching till the Egyptian dance comes on!

[media=]

[/media]

Isis is female and her star, Sirius culminates in the middle of the sky at midnight at New Year!

http://earthsky.org/...of-the-new-year

A very Merry Christmas to all, i'll be cold but happy with my bottle of scotch ha ha!

Edited by monk 56
  • Like 3

It makes a difference; patriarchy

Sorry for the abbreviated post, the had to stop because the dogs got skunked. Phew! Whether an ascended matriarchy would have made a difference it hard if not impossible to determine.However, for me, in my life, a matriarchal/goddess philosophy does matter. I want no part of any religion or philosophy that has a history of making women second-class citizens, or subjugating women, or that believe that women, solely because of their gender, are unable to perform all of the priestly functions that men do, which weirdly enough, is STILL a topic of debate. I want to hear language and see imagery that recognizes gender equality and values and gives equal weight to the feminine experience, which most patriarchal religions don't. And I'm not interested in hierarchical organizations, which artificially elevate some and devalue others. I prefer a history, a philosophy, spirituality that equally reflects my experiences as a women, one in which my story is told, and not just as an adjunct to the male experience.

And I am definitely not interested in dogma that perpetuates the myth of feminine inequality and power over, and at times, even attempts to justify it. I like the idea of a goddess and her consort, which puts forth the idea of gender equality, that the divine consists of both female & male energy dependent on one another, as co-creators.

Edited by Beany
  • Like 6

Do you think the world would be different if rather than following a God the Abrahamic religions viewed the Divine as female rather than masculine? Mother rather than Father. What if Jesus or Mohammad would have been a women?

I'll do you one better - what if we had never started worshiping imaginary men/women in the first place.

• Like 7

Misty, open a history book. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.

I don't think the Catholic church is really worshiping Mary as a Goddess. I think she is more of a go between saint to God the Father or Son.