Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Maya demand an end to doomsday myth

Still Waters

december 21 2012 is when humans get super powers. and a new era begins MUWAHAHAHAAAHAHAHA lol just kidding.

• Like 2

...and if California slides into the ocean

like the mystics and statistics say it will

I beleive this hotel will be standing

until I pay my bill - Warren Zevon

It doesn't matter if the date is wrong because the Mayans never said anything about the end of the world. It's just the end of one B'ak'tun and the start of another. Just like our calendars go from December to January.

Actually that's not correct. The end of a cycle isn't simply the begining of the next crop planting cycle that repeates itself year after year. The end of age cycles has much more to do with major changes in human spirituality. So the end of an age is actually associated with the growth and evolution of humanity therefore it really is a little like the end of the world.

My prediction is this: On December 22nd I will still have to show up at my crappy job.

You have to work on Saturdays? That sucks.

Actually that's not correct. The end of a cycle isn't simply the begining of the next crop planting cycle that repeates itself year after year. The end of age cycles has much more to do with major changes in human spirituality. So the end of an age is actually associated with the growth and evolution of humanity therefore it really is a little like the end of the world.

Your problem is that you are seeing the end of the 13th baktun in a very ethnocentric way. It has been appropriated by the new agers and all the ridiculousness of "spiritual"anything or any change in humanity is simply not what the Mayans believed. It was the end of one baktun and the start of another. To the Mayans, this was the destruction and creation of the world. That's it. Anything else is new age flimflammery.

Besides, they couldn't even predict their own end and they were still recording things like eclipses that were to occur after the start of the 14th baktun. It was more like 1999 to 2000 was for us. No great anything, just a date change.

• Like 1

Your problem is that you are seeing the end of the 13th baktun in a very ethnocentric way. It has been appropriated by the new agers and all the ridiculousness of "spiritual"anything or any change in humanity is simply not what the Mayans believed. It was the end of one baktun and the start of another. To the Mayans, this was the destruction and creation of the world. That's it. Anything else is new age flimflammery.

Besides, they couldn't even predict their own end and they were still recording things like eclipses that were to occur after the start of the 14th baktun. It was more like 1999 to 2000 was for us. No great anything, just a date change.

Time will tell. Although at this particular moment a great change in humanities empathy for themselves or the world doesn't seem likely.

You say they failed to predict thier own end....so if they ended they're dead....so who's complaining? Faux-mayans?

Nothing more than unsubstantiated garbage.