Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient and Dangerous Virus Resurrected

Anomalocaris

Frankenvirus Emerges From Siberia's Frozen Wasteland

Scientists said they will reanimate a 30,000-year-old giant virus unearthed in the frozen wastelands of Siberia, and warned climate change may awaken dangerous microscopic pathogens.

Reporting this week in PNAS, the flagship journal of the US National Academy of Sciences, French researchers announced the discovery of Mollivirus sibericum, the fourth type of prehistoric virus found since 2003, and the second by this team.

Before waking it up, researchers will have to verify that the bug cannot cause animal or human disease.

arrow3.gifRead more

Edited by Anomalocaris
  • Like 1

Oh, GOODY! Bring the pain baby.

• Like 1

That's one way to end our story: we innovate to a point we can affect the climate of the Earth (in part due to ignorance,) and the subsequent thaw releases ancient viruses that wipe us out in months.

Wildlife all over the world continue about their day, completely oblivious to the passing of a once great species...

• Like 2

That's one way to end our story: we innovate to a point we can affect the climate of the Earth (in part due to ignorance,) and the subsequent thaw releases ancient viruses that wipe us out in months.

Wildlife all over the world continue about their day, completely oblivious to the passing of a once great species...

Climate is cyclical, there were once ice sheets covering half of the United States; they carved out the Great Lakes. The ice has been retreating for 10,000 years, and most of that time there was no industry, or even large human populations. I would suspect that before the ice age began there was little or no permafrost in the areas where it is now melting.

• Like 1

Climate is cyclical, there were once ice sheets covering half of the United States; they carved out the Great Lakes. The ice has been retreating for 10,000 years, and most of that time there was no industry, or even large human populations. I would suspect that before the ice age began there was little or no permafrost in the areas where it is now melting.

Remember also, scientists claimed we were in a new ice age in the 60's as the glaciers were advancing. Edited by paperdyer
  • Like 2

Well, we're already in the midst of the Sixth Great Mass Extinction, might as well go out with a bang!

• Like 1

Is this the same labratory that had deadly Anthrax cultures laying around in the hallways?... I'm all for this... I mean... What could possibly go wrong?...

• Like 4

Dinosaurs took longer dumps than the time we have walked the earth! And they met their demise eventually, as will we! But it wont be at the hands of a resurrected virus! We are too smart for that now

not the plague again!

Is this the same labratory that had deadly Anthrax cultures laying around in the hallways?... I'm all for this... I mean... What could possibly go wrong?...

Well (in this case at least) your worries are probably unfounded, because I believe most of these giant viruses prey on bacteria and protozoa. But yes, a bit of quality control at that lab couldn't hurt!