Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Journalist seeking opinions

klaus_esterluss

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a story about cryptozoology and I'm interested in the reason why and how you started to be interested in the topic.

Is it because of the mystery behind it, did you already see one of the well known (or not so well known) creatures, or are you just curious about what is hidden in seas and forests of the world?

It would be amazing if some of you could write short answers here that I could use for the text.

To make sure that I'm real: I'm working for a project called Global Ideas (http://www.dw.de/globalideas) - we are basically covering stories about biodiversity and how people work to protect rare species and the environment. At the end April we will publish a special on the "coming and going of species". This is where cryptids fit perfectly in because they are probably somewhere out there.

Thank you very much for your participation.

Klaus

• Like 2

If the Woods, or body of Water has a potential mystery to it? Then I want to know about it so I would not be as shocked by an encounter even though it's a very remote possibility.Campfire tales of the unknown has been with us for a very long time, and keeps us from getting eaten by the Monsters...BBWWHHHAAAaa HA HA!

• Like 2

I " believed " from Television / movies, and stories when I was young. I started researching, and now know these are not real. The " entertainment " side leaves out many of the " real " details.

Side note :

Working on how people protect species and the environment.....We as humans, do not. One example, Wolves...Another, the fishing industry....One more, Bees.

We need to first be able to protect species we know exist, and we know are dwindling, then work on cryptids / fantasy.

I would like to see a story ( detailed ) on why we are not doing this, and why most of the population does not even know why we need to.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 6

They are still many 'new' species discovered nowadays (strangely these 'new' species actually seems to have been around for hundreds of thousands if not tens of millions of years)

• elephant journal link

18 of the Most Bizarre New Animals

Even as extinction stalks wildlife, adventurers are continually identifying new species, never before described by science. Here's a look at some of the strange new creatures identified in the last several years.

• Popular Mechanics link

In regards to cryptids ... I am not entirely convinced nor is hopefully optimistic ~

~

• Like 4

I got interested when very young, at that time, news articles on tele described incidences from the Himalayas then over the years, cases from the United States started to go around...

Still fascinated by it all but have no grounds for a belief in them, just curiosity...

• Like 2

I just want to eat a big foot. Mine is only a mid to large foot.

Edited by AtlantisRises
  • Like 4

Ive been interested in this since I was a child. I believe certain of these things exist eg I personally believe in the yeti/abdominble snowman as it would be easy in that harsh environment for a species to escape being properly known. Humans are still learning what exists on this planet and newly discovery things.

When I was a college, one of my lecturers was someone who was into bushwalking remote places (into places where only the native aboriginals may ever go) and she actually made 2-3 discoveries of new species (2 were of new kinds of spiders and I forget what the other thing was on.. maybe an insect).

If there wasnt parts of dodo birds still in existance today, held in museums.. quite likely that would be thought of of just a mythical creature!

I once saw an animal which was supposed to be extinct on the outskirts of a country town where I was living at the time (a mamma the size of my forearml). I think it was living in a big drain there but it really surprised that a so called extinct animal was actually living in a township!! (it was spotted playing on a grass verge, jumping about in the moonlight at 1am in the morning.. maybe its noctural habit is how it was excaping detection).

I found an animal skeleton (still with its fur) while I was out horseriding one time (I used to ride along all the dirt road sides).. of an animal I couldnt work out what it was.. it was as big as grey hound but had huge cat like fangs (maybe it was an monsterous wild cat but that size???). I kind of wish now I'd taken its head to find out what it was.. it's face and mouth just didnt look like a dog to me but who knows.. maybe it was.

I have a interest in helping endangered species. Ive started collecting rare plants for my garden and Ive set up a frog pond and now are gaining experience in frogs, I want to get some rare native to my area frogs to breed them in a large enclosed area of my yard. I think humanity should be doing far more to help prevent the extinction of animals.

I think we've lost about a quarter of the frog species in 30 years.. the situation for frogs is very sad.. .they dont just have an issue with our pollution ruining their habitats, our houses taking over their land, and also what we are use messing up their sexes http://news.mongabay...e_atrazine.html (common pesticide changes male frogs to females), but there is also fairly new disease fungal disease chytridiomycosis which was first seen around 10 years or so ago http://en.wikipedia....hytridiomycosis, which is wiping out many species of frogs (for some frog species it has a 100% mortality rate) and endangering all the frogs around the world as its expected to spread to other countries in the next few years.

Loose the frogs and we will have big issues with insects as frogs help keep things like mosquitos and other insects under control.

Edited by sea-dove
  • Like 3

Wow! I'm deeply impressed about all your responses.

Thanks a lot. I'll go through them and may ask some questions in return.

Great, I didn't expect that.

Wow! I'm deeply impressed about all your responses.

Thanks a lot. I'll go through them and may ask some questions in return.

Great, I didn't expect that.

I would like to add that anybody that has watched a doc about the subject knows that previously unknown, or thought of exctinct species has been found.On the other side of the spectrum you might want to touch on is the hoaxers.There are Youtube channels with many followers where people fake stuff, and any thought of descent in the comment section gets deleted.

Bigfoot is a popular subject for fakery.I have seen videos where people put Honey in the crotch of a tree to film a Bear (shakey camera style), faking logs/rocks thrown at the cameraman with a modified stuffed Monkey face looking around corners.There is this one guy that claims Bigfoot puts out Infrasound to camoflauge it's self to the enviroment .If anyone says that his videos are just Pareidolia he will block them and calls them ignorrant.There are many people that believe these videos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound

• Like 2

In about 1979 a friend and I discovered very large foot prints so far from where a hoaxer would put them that I've believed in sasquatch ever since. I hope we never find one.

• Like 2

When I was a kid every election year th county sheriff would come to the house to ask my parents for their vote. The two sheriffs I remember most were T.J. lockart and James earl Johnson . Both of them were involved in a very famous criptid case ...and I got to hear stories about it first hand...could not help but get involved in cryptozoology ..

• Like 1

I've been interested since I was a child. Monsters and aliens and such always fascinated me. But, as an adult, I see so many lies and hoaxes about the subject I take it a bit personal...so now, I'm the skeptic not because I don't believe, but because I'm trying to eliminate all of the crap to get to the core of what may or may not be happening "behind the scenes" of our natural world.

I'm also interested in the human condition that makes a great many people believe in the paranormal/supernatural/wild explanations first without thinking logically and using common sense and coming up with a natural explanation. Plus what makes them fall for all of these hoaxes and lies without doing their own questioning.

• Like 2

I got into cryptids, ufos, ghosts, etc all from the Time Life Mysteries of the Unexplained books. I used to believe in all of it until I researched the alternate explanation and used a more logical way of thinking.

• Like 2

To the OP...

How about getting " real " skeptics on the show/ list. Not just some " token " skeptic that follows commands, but one or some that know their ****.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 3

I became interested in them initially because I wanted to hear people's stories, from there, I started seeing common themes, I began looking into the psychological reasonings behind the cryptids talked about. And this past semester, actually wrote a paper titled "History of Fear" where I detailed different folktales and legends from around the world at different times, and showed how the fears of humanity is shown through their legends.

• Like 1

I became interested in them initially because I wanted to hear people's stories, from there, I started seeing common themes, I began looking into the psychological reasonings behind the cryptids talked about. And this past semester, actually wrote a paper titled "History of Fear" where I detailed different folktales and legends from around the world at different times, and showed how the fears of humanity is shown through their legends.

I would love to read that. That is my main interest also in the paranormal.

• Like 2

I'll see if I can find one of my copies and post it in the blogs or something

• Like 2

Thanks ~ wouldn't mind having a read through myself ~ :tu:

• Like 1

Huh...if I'd have known there was interest in this sort of thing I'd have kept my fianl paper from my English degree where I found parallels between American Authors and their Hip-Hop counterparts.

• Like 2

I got interested in stuff that is paranormal, supernatural and cryptozoological when I was about 8 or 9 (1676-77) when my dad gave us boys a bunch of his old paperback books. One was Gold of the Gods, and another was a bigfoot book, and another was an aliens and UFO book. After reading those, I went looking for other fun books to read at the library, and it just so happens that UFO books, cryptozoology books, and religious/mythology books are all basically in the same part of the library. There were stories of dragons, gods, giants, monsters, aliens, bigfoot, myths and legends. All were very entertaining. I managed to soak up millions of bits of useless trivia that still lives to this day in my head.

I'd not call myself a Believer, but a paranormal agnostic. I'm willing to listen to arguements and evidence neutrally, before deciding to dismiss some point or not.

In about 1979 a friend and I discovered very large foot prints so far from where a hoaxer would put them that I've believed in sasquatch ever since. I hope we never find one.

FYI, in 1979 (11 years old) I made a great number of bigfoot tracks on the log roads around my house in Douglas County Oregon. Mostly to scare my little brother and watch him go crying off back down the Hill to the House. :innocent:

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

FYI, in 1979 (11 years old) I made a great number of bigfoot tracks on the log roads around my house in Douglas County Oregon. Mostly to scare my little brother and watch him go crying off back down the Hill to the House. :innocent:

I just gained even more respect for you !

• Like 1

I just gained even more respect for you !

For scaring my brother, or the method?

We also used to make cougar prints and then one of the other older boys would hide in the bushes and we'd scream out, "The cougar's attacking!!!!" And run into the bushes. The younger brothers and sisters would just scream and scream... crying.... Cruel, yes, but fun... for the older boys anyway... ha ha ha.

• Like 1

For scaring my brother, or the method?

We also used to make cougar prints and then one of the other older boys would hide in the bushes and we'd scream out, "The cougar's attacking!!!!" And run into the bushes. The younger brothers and sisters would just scream and scream... crying.... Cruel, yes, but fun... for the older boys anyway... ha ha ha.

For both, and for not sitting in the house playing video games.

• Like 2

For both, and for not sitting in the house playing video games.

Oh, I did that too. I played Bard's Tale 2 on the Commodore 64. It ran off a Floppy Disk, there was no hard drive.

We also did deer skeleton archaeologist digs, where we roped off an area we found bones and would dig down a little at a time, writing down what bones we found where and in what orientation. I was a weird kid.....