Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Game of Thrones


  • Please log in to reply
485 replies to this topic

#76    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

    Telekinetic

  • Closed
  • 6,628 posts
  • Joined:23 Jan 2009

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostMerc14, on 01 April 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:

Spoiler

Well I watch a lot of TV - like, a LOT - so I like to think I can distinguish bad acting from good. I do like her character from the books (she's not one of my favourites though), but her performance was quite stale. Sometimes when she spoke at the dinner, it felt forced and it actually made me picture the scene being produced. But I have to say her scene at the orphanage was quite touching and natural. Possibly the dinner was filmed first and it was just a case of nerves or getting into the swing of things?

I'm not sure you needed the tags btw, but it's always better to be safe than sorry!


#77    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,245 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 01 April 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

Spoiler

But apart from that, it was an amazing episode. This show might even be my favourite, if it wasn't for Breaking Bad. The acting of everyone was amazing, with the exception of the new queen to be. She's a horrible actress. So wooden.
Oh she's famous from her stint in The Tudors. You love to hate her . This all seems like purposeful pretentious foreplay .
Give her time . I also think she's had a nose job since last season ,or am I imagining it .



Miss me?

#78    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

    ????????

  • 24,612 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney

  • Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

Well, I've seen the first episode.  I really enjoyed it.  Just getting back into the swing of things after so long without.  For the most part I really enjoyed it.  Some notable changes from the books, though:

Spoiler

That's not the only thing, but it was to me the most interesting of the changes.  I'm really looking forward to how things escalate between now and the next few episodes.  Reviews say that the first couple of episodes really just warm things up a little, but I was enjoying the drama of tonight's episode.  Bring on the rest :yes:

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#79    rimbaudelaire

rimbaudelaire

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Joined:30 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:City of Brotherly Love

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 30 March 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

I wonder if the speed of the show is playing on GRRM's mind?  Considering how long it took for the last book to come out, perhaps the fact that he's running on a timetable now will force him to speed things up a little? I wouldn't be opposed to that, the length of time between books was what put me off the series in the first place (my interest has been rekindled since the series first came out, and so re-reading the books, I've forgotten almost everything I read when I was in High School).

Hate to burst your bubble but authors like GRRM, Rowling, King, et al (Patterson), employ a team of writers once they've reached that level of success.


#80    rimbaudelaire

rimbaudelaire

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Joined:30 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:City of Brotherly Love

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

View Postxsas, on 31 March 2013 - 10:39 PM, said:

Praying for a power cut.. It's always us poor third world countries that lose out.


If North Korea strike the US.. we will be well stuffed, we wil only have the BBC, ITV.. Eastenders & Coronation street.

Ha! If North Korea strikes the US... When Dragons fly over Los Angeles... :lol:


#81    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

    ????????

  • 24,612 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney

  • Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

View Postrimbaudelaire, on 01 April 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

Hate to burst your bubble but authors like GRRM, Rowling, King, et al (Patterson), employ a team of writers once they've reached that level of success.
Ah, and I'm sure you have evidence to support this theory?  Links to the team of writers, perhaps?  Sure, they have Editors, but the editors don't write the stories, they just read it, trim it where needed and suggest alternatives.  Robert Jordan, for example, had only one Editor - his wife.  When Jordan died, she eventually found a shadow writer to write on Jordan's behalf.  But since Jordan knew he was going to die he'd already written plot lines, story arcs, even some dialogue and description (sometimes entire chapters were written, other times only a brief outline of the chapter).  But there was no team of writers.

And unless you can provide proof of this, I'll acknowledge your theory and then routinely dismiss it.  Thanks :)

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#82    rimbaudelaire

rimbaudelaire

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Joined:30 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:City of Brotherly Love

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 01 April 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

Well, I've seen the first episode.  I really enjoyed it.  Just getting back into the swing of things after so long without.  For the most part I really enjoyed it.  Some notable changes from the books, though:

Spoiler

That's not the only thing, but it was to me the most interesting of the changes.  I'm really looking forward to how things escalate between now and the next few episodes.  Reviews say that the first couple of episodes really just warm things up a little, but I was enjoying the drama of tonight's episode.  Bring on the rest :yes:

Agreed--except for the book part and the 'hidden' spoiler. I think there should be separate threads for the show and the comparison between the show and the books.
Anyway, the season opener was fantastic. Loved the degree of continuity, picking up where S2 left off just enough and almost no spoon-feeding the audience (quite similar to 'Homeland' or 'Spartacus').


#83    rimbaudelaire

rimbaudelaire

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Joined:30 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:City of Brotherly Love

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 01 April 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

Ah, and I'm sure you have evidence to support this theory?  Links to the team of writers, perhaps?  Sure, they have Editors, but the editors don't write the stories, they just read it, trim it where needed and suggest alternatives.  Robert Jordan, for example, had only one Editor - his wife.  When Jordan died, she eventually found a shadow writer to write on Jordan's behalf.  But since Jordan knew he was going to die he'd already written plot lines, story arcs, even some dialogue and description (sometimes entire chapters were written, other times only a brief outline of the chapter).  But there was no team of writers.

And unless you can provide proof of this, I'll acknowledge your theory and then routinely dismiss it.  Thanks :)

I don't wish to start an argument with you but it's more common than anyone would like to think.

http://mentalfloss.c...us-ghostwriters

http://open.salon.co...se_ghostwriters

http://flavorwire.co...-collaborations

http://www.catherine...ghostwrite.html

http://www.andrewcro...com/WhatIs.html


#84    Merc14

Merc14

    anti-woo magician

  • Member
  • 4,155 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

View Postrimbaudelaire, on 01 April 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

Agreed--except for the book part and the 'hidden' spoiler. I think there should be separate threads for the show and the comparison between the show and the books.
Anyway, the season opener was fantastic. Loved the degree of continuity, picking up where S2 left off just enough and almost no spoon-feeding the audience (quite similar to 'Homeland' or 'Spartacus').

I appreciated teh lack of spoon feeding as well!  Glad someone else noticed.  I hate when a season comprised of just ten shows spends one or sometimes two just to "catch people up".  They ran the entire two previous seasons a couple of times and that should be enough.  Plus, trying to catch someone up with TGOT's is like trying to hop a ride on a moving bullet train. :yes:

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#85    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

    ????????

  • 24,612 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney

  • Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

View Postrimbaudelaire, on 01 April 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

You misunderstand me.  I'm not denying that ghostwriters exists.  I know they do.  What I am challenging is the view that as soon as an author reaches a level of fame, that they automatically sit back and allow teams of ghostwriters to do so on their behalf.  GRRM giving Book 6 to a ghostwriter, for example.  Or in another example you used, JK Rowling.  What evidence is there that Harry Potter was written by ghostwriters after she became famous?  Sure, in the future it may just be that Rowling decides to make some money and allow someone else to write in her name.  But not with Harry Potter.

It's also worth noting that when you refer to teams of ghostwriters, you're referring to the author having no further intellectual input into a book.  In the case of a standalone novel (let's say a thriller by Stephen King), this may work.  But if it is book 3 in a series of 7 books, no author is just going hand over the creative rights and say "I don't care how it ends now, it's in your hands".

As I said, I don't disagree that Shadow writers exist.  What I disagree with is your carte blanche approach to writers hiring ghosts to pen their writings when they still are working on their vision of a series.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#86    DKO

DKO

    Ω is Futile.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Australia

  • When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:49 AM

I'm liking the TV series a lot better than the book. I read the first book and half the second but lost interest. The books have too much attention to detail for me, I like a quick read.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson


Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.


#87    rimbaudelaire

rimbaudelaire

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Joined:30 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:City of Brotherly Love

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 01 April 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

You misunderstand me.  I'm not denying that ghostwriters exists.  I know they do.  What I am challenging is the view that as soon as an author reaches a level of fame, that they automatically sit back and allow teams of ghostwriters to do so on their behalf.  GRRM giving Book 6 to a ghostwriter, for example.  Or in another example you used, JK Rowling.  What evidence is there that Harry Potter was written by ghostwriters after she became famous?  Sure, in the future it may just be that Rowling decides to make some money and allow someone else to write in her name.  But not with Harry Potter.

It's also worth noting that when you refer to teams of ghostwriters, you're referring to the author having no further intellectual input into a book.  In the case of a standalone novel (let's say a thriller by Stephen King), this may work.  But if it is book 3 in a series of 7 books, no author is just going hand over the creative rights and say "I don't care how it ends now, it's in your hands".

As I said, I don't disagree that Shadow writers exist.  What I disagree with is your carte blanche approach to writers hiring ghosts to pen their writings when they still are working on their vision of a series.

Okay. I think we're on the same page now (pun intended!).


#88    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

    hi

  • Member
  • 7,837 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portsmouth

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

View PostDKO, on 02 April 2013 - 02:49 AM, said:

I'm liking the TV series a lot better than the book. I read the first book and half the second but lost interest. The books have too much attention to detail for me, I like a quick read.
What i have done is watched season one, stored the characters images in my head and voices. Then I read the book and pictured the book in my head and read the book like the TV versions. So when there is speech in the book I read them in their voices and picture the setting


#89    ChewiesArmy

ChewiesArmy

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rockford, Illinois

  • When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice. - Cherokee

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

I thought it was a grerat 1st episode. As far as Natalie Dormer's (Margaery Tryell) acting, it was fine. She is faking everything when she is around Joffrey and he isn't picking up on how disengenuous she is. She hates him but has to pretend she likes him.

"And how do you know God doesn't swear? Especially taking a good look at the human race, it must be a part of his daily ritual" -Lewis Black

#90    Merc14

Merc14

    anti-woo magician

  • Member
  • 4,155 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostChewiesArmy, on 02 April 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

I thought it was a grerat 1st episode. As far as Natalie Dormer's (Margaery Tryell) acting, it was fine. She is faking everything when she is around Joffrey and he isn't picking up on how disengenuous she is. She hates him but has to pretend she likes him.

Cersei  knew exactly what the girl was doing and knows that she can't say squat since they are dependent on the Tyrells for food and supplies since half "their kingdom" has been burned to the ground and there is no crop to harvest.  Margaery also knows that she can do as she pleases because Tywin will keep both Joffrey and Cersei on a tight leash until the Tyrells are no longer needed.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users