Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Welfare Drug Testing Bill Withdrawn

Ashotep

A Republican member of the Indiana General Assembly withdrew his bill to create a pilot program for drug testing welfare applicants Friday after one of his Democratic colleagues amended the measure to require drug testing for lawmakers. Read More Here

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• conspiracybeliever

• DieChecker

• FLOMBIE

• hatecraft

He sounds like a chicken to me.

• 4 weeks later...

I think they (the supposed "lawmakers") should be drug tested, and also be subjected to psych exams quarterly (at a cost to them).

Hypocritical bs I bet. They fight tooth and nail, justifying the laws that they make as necessary and morally correct... until it pertains to them. I have my doubts as to whether first of all this will get resubmitted, as well as whether it gains the same support.

Edit again: Jon Stewart did a good bit on this last week or 2 weeks ago.

Edited by Stellar

The solution is simple: Legalize drugs and get rid of welfare.

Right!? Just Keep everyone drugged up and they'll never know they're getting screwed!! :lol:

:w00t: Oh wait.... that's what we're doing... :blink:

Who are the people "getting screwed"? Surely you don't mean the welfare recipients. They've got it made.

There are plenty of people getting screwed. And I don't really think the welfare recipients have it made do they? They may think they do because they know nothing else, the majority anyways, but they are getting screwed. Would you be happy with having just what other people decided you needed? When you get things for nothing that's what it's worth. And if we get rid of welfare and legalize drugs do you think the only people that will be taking them are welfare recipients? Who will be buying the drugs for them? Other than the welfare recipients the people paying for them are getting screwed. I don't want to pay for the children of people who aren't smart enough to stop having children but I have to. I hdefinitelytely been paying more than my fair share. It's not the rich. They are benefiting from the welfare system and from stupid people. But most of all the children are screwed. Take a good look at the baby business this country has going on. It must be only equal to our prison system. Also the single mothers being targeted by our courts to get children for the baby business to cover up the actual welfare numbers. And I know because I've been that child and the single mother.

Edited by conspiracybeliever

Who are the people "getting screwed"? Surely you don't mean the welfare recipients. They've got it made.

If you know anything at all about welfare or had been on it, you could not say this. They have NOT got it made.

I like your words, conspiracybeliever. :tu:

People here are talking as if it would only be the poorest of the poor who do drugs. But if you go higher up in society, you'll notice that plenty of people are on drugs on a regular basis. It is just different drugs, which are not that easy to spot, and where your physique does not change that rapidly. Especially the white powder is consumed by many in economy and politics.

If you want to drug test welfare recipients, fine, but then test everyone else who is receiving money from the state as well. The current salary (2011-2012) for rank-and-file members of the House and Senate is $174,000 per year.

Here's a radical idea. Use a process similar to jury duty to elect citizens to serve on a committee that regulars House and Senate operations.

Hilarious!

The solution is simple: Legalize drugs and get rid of welfare.

Yeah. So our politicians can legally be stoned and have a medical excuse for being idiots.

YES! What I want is my bus driver to be stoned while driving. Or, my heart surgeon, or my psychologist, or my college professor... Excellent idea.

Yeah. So our politicians can legally be stoned and have a medical excuse for being idiots.

YES! What I want is my bus driver to be stoned while driving. Or, my heart surgeon, or my psychologist, or my college professor... Excellent idea.

While I dont agree with the idea of legalizing drugs, I found this reply pretty extreme too. Alcohol is legal. Is your bus driver drunk while driving? How about your heart surgeon, your psychologist or your college professor?

If you know anything at all about welfare or had been on it, you could not say this. They have NOT got it made.

I worked at a welfare office for 2 1/2 years. I know all I need to know about the vast majority of welfare recipients.

I worked at a welfare office for 2 1/2 years. I know all I need to know about the vast majority of welfare recipients.

Yes please. Tell us everything you learned about those people sitting behind your desk. :rolleyes: I'd like to hear some gossip from someone who has hands on experience rather than people who heard it from the tv.

Hilarious!

What would lead you to believe that legalizing drugs would make everyone all the sudden start doing them? Do you have any statistics to support that?

While I dont agree with the idea of legalizing drugs, I found this reply pretty extreme too. Alcohol is legal. Is your bus driver drunk while driving? How about your heart surgeon, your psychologist or your college professor?

What would lead you to believe that legalizing drugs would make everyone all the sudden start doing them? Do you have any statistics to support that?

Just using the extreme side to make a point. Tons (kilos?) of people talk about making drugs legal, but few of them talk about what would still be needed to protect the public. To many pro-drug activists they would like to just have stores where you would just buy what you wanted, when you wanted. Yet, the truth is that drugs will never be unregulated. Alcohol and tobacco are not unregulated. You have to be 21 to buy most alcohol and hard liquor you have to go to a special store. Tobacco you have to show ID also, and then you have to obey thousands of smoking ordinances. You can't even really be out in public drunk, it is call being Under the Influence. So, tobacco and alcohol are hardly a free for all.

That is what I am against, a pot & strong drugs free for all. The pro-drug subculture does not seem to understand that drugs would be so restricted as to be still illegal. Pot would likely be so limited it would only be usable in your own house and only if you have no children or other easily offended people living there.

DieChecker, I think you got that wrong. Nobody wants drugs to be legal in the way you could go to a vending machine and buy a joint. Of course drugs will have to be regulated. They would have to be sold in a specific and licensed store and naturally not to people who are under the legal age. And while it may be a dream of many to smoke up in their local park, having the right to do drugs in their home or inside the stores would be enough for the most.

And it's not like this would be completely new terrain. Here in Europe we do have a very functional society named the Netherlands, where many drugs are not legal but tolerated if you follow the rules. Pot, for example, is given away in designated stores, called "coffee shops", and smoking in public is prohibited, while it is tolerated to be smoked in your home or inside the coffee shops. Most people are fine with that, and most of the people who offend these rules are "drug tourists", which is a problem that they are trying to solve at the moment.

And I believe that you can be drunk in public. You just cannot be too drunk. They same would apply for drugs. I do not see your problem.

EDIT: Oh, by the way.

What makes you think they aren't right now? Drug abuse goes through the whole society. It's not a poor-man's thing. And definitely not due to drugs being legal or illegal.

Edited by FLOMBIE

I don't think any kind of crime is a poor man's thing. It's just the fact that a poor man is convicted more often whether guilty or not. It's all about creating numbers. Numbers that work to the rich mans advantage.

Indeed, you are right. I am doing my legal clerkship right now, and a lot of crimes I have to deal with are crimes associated with obtaining drugs of drug addicts. If you look at the perpetrators, they are quite often good kids who somewhere took the wrong path and got hooked on a drug. Now it is up to me to decide what to do with him after he got caught for stealing some money to finance his addiction. Put him into jail is what most people have in mind, that would teach him a lesson, but should I really do that? It's probably destroying his entire life, so should I put him in therapy? Would he pull through? It's tough. If drugs were legalized, it might be possible to interfere at an earlier stage and prevent him from this misery. It demonstrates why some things like possession of small amount of drugs (for personal use) are not persecuted anymore here in Berlin, It's just not worth it.

Edited by FLOMBIE

Hypocritical bs I bet. They fight tooth and nail, justifying the laws that they make as necessary and morally correct... until it pertains to them. I have my doubts as to whether first of all this will get resubmitted, as well as whether it gains the same support.

Edit again: Jon Stewart did a good bit on this last week or 2 weeks ago.

Only he did it on Florida's law, where our most wonderful state legislature passed the bill without any such inclusion of themselves.

I just have to say... there is a BIG difference between pot and drugs such as Heroin or Cocaine or Meth .. i think people should be more specific when discussing "DRUGS!*"

* or the legalization thereof

Edited by lightly