Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Family who chose prayer over medicine

Ashotep

A Rhawnhurst, Pennsylvania couple on probation for the 2009 death of their toddler son from pneumonia is accused of letting a second child die of a treatable illness, opting to pray rather than take the child to a doctor. According to the Associated Press, Herbert and Catherine Schaible are fundamentalist Christians who are accused of allowing their 8-month-old son Brandon to die after days of diarrhea and breathing problems because they believed that God would heal him.

Family who chose prayer over medicine loses second child

I think if you have a sick child pray if you want but take them to the doctor. This is child abuse and neglect, murder really and I'm glad they are losing their other kids and hope they go to jail for a long long time.

• Like 2

So if it didn't work the first time...

• Like 3

I'm sure when they are sent to prison and someone knifes them they will be all for just being prayed over instead of going to the doctor.

• Like 1

In todays times its baffling how some people still believe that "god" will save their child, he never did it in the past and I can`t see why he would do it now....actually I do see why, because here is the proof of his non existence, but I can hear the God worshippers saying it now "but its his way and it was meant to be".shaking_head.gif

• Like 2

Gese people... As misguided as their actions are, they are not monsters. They didn't want to have their children die, they just bought into the bull****. I could not throw them into jail or shoot them.... But takeing their other kids away from them seems prudent.

• Like 5

Have to agree with Seeker here, these people are not monsters. A bit of coaxing them into the 21st century would be the best option, but can`t see them accepting that. BUT there are many like them out there, so what do we do, take away their children just incase ? because exactly the same thing could happen to them too.

Its their belief and a very unfortunate event happened down to it........looking back through history and what happens today, it seems the religion and god thing has been proven to have a very very dark side.

• Like 2

I really would question a parent that willingly sits there and lets their child die when help is a phone call away.

I mean, didn't it EVER occur to them, even in the slightest, that maybe they should seek real help? Didn't their parenting 'instinct' urge them to take real action?

This was the second child of theirs do die...but when you look at them they really do not look like they are on planet reality.

I really do not have any sympathy for these people. Pray over your own selves if you want but when you have kids, you have a real responsibility. Even herbal medicine books have very easy recipes to help alleviate diarrhea.

But in the end it is not the religion so much as it is the stupid parents who followed along like brainless cattle. One would think they had learned their lesson, one would think they would have done something so it wouldn't happen again.

But...no one was thinking, certainly not the parents. Once again society failed the child by letting religion take precedence over reality. These people did NOTHING! Not even so much as a herbal tea or a vaporizer to help ease the breathing...nothing. They just sat on their hands and 'prayed'. Didn't do their first child any good so why would they passively think it will help another.

This sort of stuff makes me puke.

• Like 2

Watch a documentary about the Tsunami and there was a group of people who were adamant it was gods doing because the village people had sinned. When religion does this to peoples brains you have got to wonder what can really be done for people like this.

You do not have to look far to see the dangers religion can do.......it happens all over the world, be it parents believing god will save their child, of people believing if they commit suicide by killing a load of innocent people that they will go to 72 virgins, how about all the wars down to religion, all the lives which have been lost because of it...here in this story, are 2 more.

• Like 2

Gese people... As misguided as their actions are, they are not monsters. They didn't want to have their children die, they just bought into the bull****. I could not throw them into jail or shoot them.... But takeing their other kids away from them seems prudent.

It's really not so crazy my ex brother-in-law has high blood pressure and he decided to quit taking his meds, the reason he gave when he almost died was he had 'g-d'. Surprise, surprise after 16 days in the hospital and a stroke later(which has left him debilitated, he can't read anymore- or comprehend things- he lost a lot of his memories- and he has had to re-learn so many things. ) he takes his meds now (he is college educated too.) I suggested doing both take the meds and pray as a back up plan.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

I'm sure when they are sent to prison and someone knifes them they will be all for just being prayed over instead of going to the doctor.

no such thing as an atheist who's being gang-raped in a 6x9 cell.....

;-)

• Like 1

no such thing as an atheist who's being gang-raped in a 6x9 cell.....

;-)

Your probably right about that.

I really would question a parent that willingly sits there and lets their child die when help is a phone call away.

I mean, didn't it EVER occur to them, even in the slightest, that maybe they should seek real help? Didn't their parenting 'instinct' urge them to take real action?

This was the second child of theirs do die...but when you look at them they really do not look like they are on planet reality.

I really do not have any sympathy for these people. Pray over your own selves if you want but when you have kids, you have a real responsibility. Even herbal medicine books have very easy recipes to help alleviate diarrhea.

But in the end it is not the religion so much as it is the stupid parents who followed along like brainless cattle. One would think they had learned their lesson, one would think they would have done something so it wouldn't happen again.

But...no one was thinking, certainly not the parents. Once again society failed the child by letting religion take precedence over reality. These people did NOTHING! Not even so much as a herbal tea or a vaporizer to help ease the breathing...nothing. They just sat on their hands and 'prayed'. Didn't do their first child any good so why would they passively think it will help another.

This sort of stuff makes me puke.

Keep pukeing... Because its not going to stop. Unfortunately if you want to live in a free society, you have to deal with the unpleasant elements. The things that make the world better are your own choices.

• Like 1

Keep pukeing... Because its not going to stop. Unfortunately if you want to live in a free society, you have to deal with the unpleasant elements. The things that make the world better are your own choices.

So the children lose the freedom to live for the parents freedom to be stupid... :angry:

• Like 2

There is a balance and even if not all will see it something tells me that when you change the way you feel about wanting to see others harmed, then these parents will also change the way they feel about mistrusting modern society and science.

• Like 1

All fair comments.......except one.

They absolutely should be in jail. Stupidity is no defence. They failed to provide the necessities of life to someone who relies on them totally for their wellbeing. And they did it twice. That goes a bit beyond 'misguided'.

• Like 3

In todays times its baffling how some people still believe that "god" will save their child, he never did it in the past and I can`t see why he would do it now....actually I do see why, because here is the proof of his non existence, but I can hear the God worshippers saying it now "but its his way and it was meant to be".shaking_head.gif

I believe that Jesus had cured me of hepatitis C. I had symptoms and the test came back positive. I prayed and low and behold I was cured. Glory be to my Healer Jesus Christ.
  • Like 1

Death of a child is a tragedy, and i feel sorry for the family loss. Maybe they should start praying to not have kids in the first place? To put all hope in prayer for a God miracle, it seems to me like a sort of exortion. I wonder will they remain to be religious after burying their second child.

I believe that Jesus had cured me of hepatitis C. I had symptoms and the test came back positive. I prayed and low and behold I was cured. Glory be to my Healer Jesus Christ.

You are seriously underestimating your own abilities. But if you want to believe it was Jesus, then so be it, personally I think your own inner resilience and self determination is the answer, but like many others out there, they do not.

You will not be able to rely on Jesus all the time, one day you may need to stand up and take the reins, I do hope you do not have to and do not forget how to do it. Its an instinct many are losing and many have lost and IMO its nothing to do with Jesus, its to do with being human and understanding what nature gave us.

Sometimes we have to realize that medicines are the answer if we can not fight it alone and I believe the world of medicine has a far greater power than Jesus at this stage.

Wish you well and peace.

Death of a child is a tragedy, and i feel sorry for the family loss. Maybe they should start praying to not have kids in the first place? To put all hope in prayer for a God miracle, it seems to me like a sort of exortion. I wonder will they remain to be religious after burying their second child.

Africa...enough said!

Africa...enough said!

I don't think i follow what a word "Africa" has to do with my post. Maybe you were adressing to the fact that many children die there and God does nothing to prevent it, or people don't pray enough to stop having children? But to assume that if innocent children die despite prayers, that means there is no loving a caring God is logical fallacy.

• Like 1

Sometimes I see stories like this, the OJ Simpson case, or the jureys botching of the Casey Anthony case and I think to myself.... "When did AMERICANS become so cowardly, lazy, and complaisant?... Our forefathers would strung these people up for this crap.."

What ever happened to Angery Mob justice?

I don't think i follow what a word "Africa" has to do with my post. Maybe you were adressing to the fact that many children die there and God does nothing to prevent it, or people don't pray enough to stop having children? But to assume that if innocent children die despite prayers, that means there is no loving a caring God is logical fallacy.

Yes and the bit about : ". Maybe they should start praying to not have kids in the first place?" many do put all hope in god, but this is really another thread as this subject could go on for many pages......just like it has gone on for many years.

While you were praying to Jesus did you stop your treatment? How do you know you are cured? Did you have it re-checked and received the all clear?

My point is when someone I know is sick I pray for their healing and at the same time I pray that the people treating them are guided to help them. You can have your prayers answered by praying for the steady hand of a surgeon or the help of God's angels in guiding the medical profession. Doctors and nurses, if you are a believer, are part of God's creation also, or the result of it as it stands today. Pray for a good Doctor folks.

As a final note, every ambulance and fire engine that passes me on the road receives a prayer from me for the patient in the ambulance to be healed and the paramedics and firemen to be safe and blessed in their work. Just saying ;) .

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 1

They should be allowed to choose prayer instead of medicine for themselves. And hey, placebo even works sometimes. But they don´t have the right to make that murderous decision for their toddler. Prison for murder.

Edited by Zaphod222
  • Like 2