Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Americans lack trust in government

regeneratia

The link provided will eventually be disabled.

If anyone can find another link with the full story, that would be great.

https://in.news.yahoo.com/privacy-americans-lack-trust-government-142407526.html

From the body of the article:

"Americans are worried about the privacy of their online information, and have little confidence the government will keep that data secure, a poll showed Wednesday."

Yet another quote from the article:

"An overwhelming majority of 93 percent said being in control of who can get information about them is important to them, and a similar number said they want to decide with whom they share data.

But three out of four said they had little confidence about the security of records of their online activity tracked by advertisers, and two-thirds expressed similar concerns about social networks and search engines."

So what are your sentiments about your privacy and governments' ability to keep your information private?

• Like 1

I just wanted to say that startpage.com does not track your searches.

https://startpage.com

It is the one I use. I very seldom click on the first link. Startpage uses google, and I don't trust that google will provide me with the information I want on their front page.

And another link for the article:

http://economictimes...ow/47361679.cms

I don't know how long this one will be up.

Edited by regeneratia

why is gvmnt responcible for internet security? it is like saying gvmnt is responcible for car accidents because they build roads.

spying is another thing, but again most info collected is what you put out there yourself. do not put it out there and no one will use it against you. pretty simple consept imho.

as for avertisment robots, well, they want you to buy things, based on your serches on PUBLIC internet. nothing personal, just buissnes

• Like 2

Everyone is being watched, even the government. The media, the special police forces, the scammers, the advertisers, all are watching. I am more concerned about who my info is being sold to than our government spying on me. let them spy, they will find nothing.

• Like 1

This isn't "new" news. I don't think Americans have trusted the government to do much of anything for a while now. As far as privacy and my opinion of it. I'm not entirely sure. :)

• Like 1

why is gvmnt responcible for internet security? it is like saying gvmnt is responcible for car accidents because they build roads.

spying is another thing, but again most info collected is what you put out there yourself. do not put it out there and no one will use it against you. pretty simple consept imho.

as for avertisment robots, well, they want you to buy things, based on your serches on PUBLIC internet. nothing personal, just buissnes

I agree with you. But the collection of that personal data should NOT be a government occupation. You think that this collection is being done by someone other than the government. Yet the reality shows that it is the government that is collecting that data. Yes they are. Now question: Do you think your government should be collecting all your personal data that is online and storing it? Don't skew the issue. Let's get right down to the area of discussion.

Edited by regeneratia
  • Like 1

And what do you think about Ntriepid? Wiki has it if you need it defined.

Everyone is being watched, even the government. The media, the special police forces, the scammers, the advertisers, all are watching. I am more concerned about who my info is being sold to than our government spying on me. let them spy, they will find nothing.

I honestly believe that we really really need to be pressing the spying on our government. All things that are legal. Some finally some site has done it.

We should be putting cameras, maybe multiple cameras on all government officials and elected officials. Not anything illegal. We should just know where they are going and what they are doing every single second of the day. Always at the level of legality, even tho our governments are doing illegal and unconstitutional stuff against their own people. We have felons within our own government agencies, probably all carrying guns.

https://transparency...it.org/icwatch/

Today Transparency Toolkit is releasing ICWATCH, a collection of 27,094 resumes of people working in the intelligence community. These resumes include many details about the names and functions of secret surveillance programs, including previously unknown secret codewords. We are releasing these resumes in searchable form with the hopes that people can use them to better understand mass surveillance programs and research trends in the intelligence community.

The ICWATCH data was collected from LinkedIn public profiles using search terms like known codewords, intelligence agencies and departments, intelligence contractors, and industry terms. We then built search software, called LookingGlass, to make it easy to browse this dataset. Both LookingGlass and the ICWATCH data are available on Github.

end of quote

Edited by regeneratia

"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty." John Adams 'The Federalist Papers'

We're not supposed to blindly trust the government.

Edited by Lilly
  • Like 5

I honestly believe that we really really need to be pressing the spying on our government. All things that are legal. Some finally some site has done it.

We should be putting cameras, maybe multiple cameras on all government officials and elected officials. Not anything illegal. We should just know where they are going and what they are doing every single second of the day. Always at the level of legality, even tho our governments are doing illegal and unconstitutional stuff against their own people. We have felons within our own government agencies, probably all carrying guns.

https://transparency...it.org/icwatch/

Today Transparency Toolkit is releasing ICWATCH, a collection of 27,094 resumes of people working in the intelligence community. These resumes include many details about the names and functions of secret surveillance programs, including previously unknown secret codewords. We are releasing these resumes in searchable form with the hopes that people can use them to better understand mass surveillance programs and research trends in the intelligence community.

The ICWATCH data was collected from LinkedIn public profiles using search terms like known codewords, intelligence agencies and departments, intelligence contractors, and industry terms. We then built search software, called LookingGlass, to make it easy to browse this dataset. Both LookingGlass and the ICWATCH data are available on Github.

end of quote

To do it legally would need consent, and then they will dictate where the cameras can go and what you can film.

Look at what they did to Assange. I am not sure how you can "legally" spy on the government if you are not working for them, they will just feed you what you can legally spy on and hide every else, which if you want to access, can only be done = illegally.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

Believe me, it's not just Americans.

You aren't the least bit uncomfortable with the double standard through? You are ok with them breaking the law, just cause you aren't?

The issue is that the data mining from these illegitimate processes has been verified to be an unreliable source where the security of the population is concerned ~

Ask this guy : Ron Suskind wiki link

• Like 1

You aren't the least bit uncomfortable with the double standard through? You are ok with them breaking the law, just cause you aren't?

Absolutely not. Sorry, did I say that? I am not doing anything wrong so they would only be wasting their time watching me, but this does not mean that I do not think they need watching too........i do not trust the watchers who do the watching on those watching us. :cry: if that makes sense?

• Like 1

I agree with you. But the collection of that personal data should NOT be a government occupation. You think that this collection is being done by someone other than the government. Yet the reality shows that it is the government that is collecting that data. Yes they are. Now question: Do you think your government should be collecting all your personal data that is online and storing it? Don't skew the issue. Let's get right down to the area of discussion.

lol, so you are fine with others doing and providing it to gvmnt, yet you oppose gvmnt doing it themselves??? i see little sense here, did i understand you right?

again, everything they collect from social media sites are what you put it there, there can not be any expectation of privacy there. who collects it, does not matter. you have power to not post it up, and it wont be collected by gvmnt, but most post it anyway they complain it is being collected.

now should they be collecting such data at all, i think they should not, since it is a giant waste of our money. so from this prespective, no, they should not.

now about your metadata they collect, illegaly thru stingray devices, now here i agree, they should not since it goes against our consitutional rights, otoh it is already collected by your cell service provider. so it can be obtained with court order anyway.

now about personal data, like ss#, driver license#.. they are the ones that issued to you, they do not really collect it.

as far as Ntriepid, imo it is another waste of money, feds knew all about people involved in 911, 34st car fire, and boston, yet it still happened, wheather they used Ntriepid or not, they seem to be not able to do anything usefull with data they have when it really matters.

now there is another type of data, they collect, it is all over the place in nyc, ezpass readers, and traffic lights camera. every other intersection has it, well, it is double edged sword, you travel on public roads, so no expectation of privacy here, what i do oppose is data they collect is used by them only, i would like it to be availble to us, since it is our money paid for it, (i can't imagine billions that were spend on it) if i was hit on intersection and guy ran away, i would like to be able to pull up tape from database and see who it was. so i do not oppose tracking in this case, but oppose exclusive use of such data, by gvmnt.

Edited by aztek

"if you're not doing anything wrong, you'll have nothing to worry about". ~ The motto that allowed the Gestapo to get where they got to. It was always someone else that was doing something wrong. But the list of what was wrong kept steadily getting longer.

• Like 4

yea, everyday you brake some rule that you do not even know about. it is a federal crime to posses a lobster under certan size, it makes no diference how you got it. wheather it is dead or alive. someone can mail you one, and you will be commiting federal crime by having it on your property. even if you do not know it is in the box.

Edited by aztek

That ship has sailed. nothing about you is protected.

Government trust is a matter of wealth and distribution of resources. If you own a company that manufactures rifles that the government uses to supply the Army then the government would treat you well. If you are a punk hacker living under a rock and playing sweet-ass with foreigners and giving the impression that you might dissent and betray the country then the government would obviously treat you badly. The rest of us fall somewhere in between these two examples. But in the end, it all comes down to the money. How much you have, what you do with it and so on and so forth. It's all about the money.

If one is really concerned about their privacy online they could just go off the grid

and live like this guy.

http://youtu.be/jNk-FD8yWbk

Edited by Hawkin

They proposed something similar here in Australia, and I was all for it. I really do not care if some Government pleb wilfing the net all day reads my email, it will most likely bore him to death than anything else. And if they catch one terrorist, or one pedophile, or stop one murder, then as far as I am concerned it is all worth it, and they can have at my files.

They proposed something similar here in Australia, and I was all for it. I really do not care if some Government pleb wilfing the net all day reads my email, it will most likely bore him to death than anything else. And if they catch one terrorist, or one pedophile, or stop one murder, then as far as I am concerned it is all worth it, and they can have at my files.

I don't think you understand who the pleb is in that relationship. You're the submissive.

• Like 3

I don't think you understand who the pleb is in that relationship. You're the submissive.

No, I am more than happy to co-operate, I have not been forced to do anything. I do not think you understand what I am saying. My privacy is not worth the life of someone, or for a child's life to be destroyed, if they can catch just one criminal like that through all this snooping, then to me, that is a good deal.

Like I said, my emails are dead boring, I would probably chuckle at some poor bugger having to read through them, they would bore anyone to death, what is your major objection Yam? What do you need to hide??

• Like 1

No, I am more than happy to co-operate, I have not been forced to do anything. I do not think you understand what I am saying. My privacy is not worth the life of someone, or for a child's life to be destroyed, if they can catch just one criminal like that through all this snooping, then to me, that is a good deal.

Whats the point of saving someones life if they are forced to live in a world without personal rights?

Like I said, my emails are dead boring, I would probably chuckle at some poor bugger having to read through them, they would bore anyone to death, what is your major objection Yam? What do you need to hide??

Of course, yam must be hiding something because he doesn't want to give up his rights to privacy.

When will people realize that the point of a government is to serve the people. The best societies are the ones where the people are trusted by their own representatives. I am far more afraid of a government official using the word "terrorist" than i am of actual terrorists. The worst a terrorist can do is kill me or my family, a politician using the word "terrorist" can fundamentally change my society into a place where no person in their right mind would want to live.

Edited by Professor Buzzkill
  • Like 5