Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is there more to John 19:26, 19:27 and 19:30?

Marcion Meets E. Sibyl

John 19:26

"When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he said unto his mother, 'Woman, behold your son!'"

John 19:27

"Then said he to the disciple, 'Behold your mother!' And from that hour that disciple took her to his own home."

Hi,

Please read John 19:26 and John 19:27.

Is there more to this than what's being conveyed on the surface?

Before answering the first question, was it a Jewish tradition to adopt out your mother before you die? With this in mind, think of the gravity of adopting out your own beloved mother, the woman who brought you into this world. Surely, a simple request would've done it, don't you think?

John 19:30

"When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, 'It is finished,' and he bowed his head, and gave up his spirit."

And last, what was the "it" when Jesus said, "It is finished"? Would love to read your replies.

Peace and blessed 2013 to all.

Paul

• Like 1

These 3 passages made a profound impact on me, enough to make me a Christian again. No storyteller could've told this without divine guidance or going through a physical resurrection. It's truly beyond a storyteller's vision. It was, after all, a realtime account. Think about it: this was Christ's last time on earth, and yet, he was still fulfilling his "role" as Jesus to the very end. Talk about continuity! Even his last intimate words (while talking to himself), he kept his divine identity intact by being detached to his role. "It is finished." Yes, if he hadn't known about his divinity and role (the man with the mission), he would not have adopted out his mother because there would be no logic to it and it would not fit the greatest story ever told -- it would not follow the theme of "Divine Love Made Flesh." Adopting out your mother?? Sounds extreme, doesn't it! It's so un-son like, as if Jesus was lashing to the world. "Here, take my mother!" I've read articles online, but they don't follow the logical story of Jesus the Christ, the embodiment of love eternal. I believe that one of his goals is to tell us that we are merely playing a role right now. It's not who we really are...just like Christ was really not Jesus the flesh but a truly powerful god on earth to save us from our illusions.

IMHO, these 3 passages are as profound as the resurrection, or even more so in a literary sense because of their subtle, and yet penetrating, nature.

Peace.

Paul

Edited by braveone2u

I always felt it to be very touching , very sad .For Mariam to have to watch as they persecuted her son , while she knew what the world did not know nor understand regarding his birth and the visitation she had with the angel, who would of really believed her?

The bible says that Joseph didn't or wouldn't of believed her until God had sent an angel to him as well . God also showed Joseph dreams regarding Christ and Mariam.As for your question, I heard that John was a brother, a son a Joseph . I also heard that John was not a son of Joseph but that he was just another close disciple .I think the catholic church teaches that Joseph had no other children or wives or something like that , or that he and Mariam had no children together.I'm not sure if the catholic church teaches that Joseph had children of his own with anyone but I do know that the protestant churches teach that he had children with Mariam sometime after Jesus was born . To me it doesn't really matter if Jesus had other brothers and sisters, I don't see any reason to hide that ,actually it would be nice to know if he did or not.

I don't think Jesus had a child named Sara with Mary of Magdalene either.I think that's just some conspiracy story someone made up for whatever reasons. Do you think he had a child named Sara with Mary of Magdalene?

"When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he said unto his mother, 'Woman, behold your son!'"

"Then said he to the disciple, 'Behold your mother!' And from that hour that disciple took her to his own home."

Hi,

Before answering the first question, was it a Jewish tradition to adopt out your mother before you die? With this in mind, think of the gravity of adopting out your own beloved mother, the woman who brought you into this world. Surely, a simple request would've done it, don't you think?

Christ has spoken many times about how your only real family is your brothers and sisters in Christ. Because of that, the "gravity" of so-called adopting out his mother is not as severe as some would percieve it to be. Not that he didn't love her, he just loved her no differently than he loved anyone else. There may have been a specific reason for asking his disciple to do this, she was after all older than Mary magdalene and we don't know about Mary the wife of Clopas, however no one really knows since the book doesn't go into much further detail. However I don't really believe it needs to be. It in no way changes Christ's message, it is simply a tiny part of John's quick overall runthrough of the crucifixion in a nutshell. I just don't think it's as big of an issue as you make it seem.

"When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, 'It is finished,' and he bowed his head, and gave up his spirit."

And last, what was the "it" when Jesus said, "It is finished"? Would love to read your replies.

Paul

This is quite simple. He was destined to die on the cross for us. The "it" is simply the fact that he "did." He died, he accomplished the mission, end of story. Don't really see how it's related to the above, but whatever helps clarify I suppose. Peace to you too. :tu:

• Like 2

Christ has spoken many times about how your only real family is your brothers and sisters in Christ. Because of that, the "gravity" of so-called adopting out his mother is not as severe as some would percieve it to be. Not that he didn't love her, he just loved her no differently than he loved anyone else. There may have been a specific reason for asking his disciple to do this, she was after all older than Mary magdalene and we don't know about Mary the wife of Clopas, however no one really knows since the book doesn't go into much further detail. However I don't really believe it needs to be. It in no way changes Christ's message, it is simply a tiny part of John's quick overall runthrough of the crucifixion in a nutshell. I just don't think it's as big of an issue as you make it seem.

This is quite simple. He was destined to die on the cross for us. The "it" is simply the fact that he "did." He died, he accomplished the mission, end of story. Don't really see how it's related to the above, but whatever helps clarify I suppose. Peace to you too. :tu:

Hi AquilaChrysaetos,

(Brothers and sisters in Christ.) Keep in mind that during his realtime life, the order of the day was his Jewish culture. Also, Jesus was either called a rabbi or prophet or something negative.

Yes. "He died, he accomplished the mission...," because he played his ROLE perfectly...but it's not the end of the story because he knew about his divinity, his Godhead, the absolute fact that he's part of the Holy Trinity. His knowledge of his supreme power is not just due to a mere "awakening." Consciously playing a role is not the same as living a life. Therefore, he was able to detach himself from the ever-unfolding story of Jesus the flesh, but this doesn't mean that he didn't feel the suffering of his flesh. No doubt, he was able to fully put his consciousness to that level of thinking.

Therefore, if you're not invested in your ephemeral earthly identity because you know you're god (on a mission), you will not find it odd to go beyond your culture's limitations. You will also teach your truth to those around you.

Would you adopt out your own mother, especially if you have (adult and able) brothers to take care of her?

It's a big deal because these 3 passages are so subtle that you really have to be resurrected or "awakened" to get that "voila" feeling. I'm sure those "awakened" people who are reading these passages will get what I'm talking about. Again, they're enough to make me a Christian again.

Thank you for your reply, AquilaChrysaetos.

Peace.

Paul

Do you think he had a child named Sara with Mary of Magdalene?

Hi Reann,

That, I don't know, but I've read about it.

Thank you for your reply, and have a good afternoon.

Paul

Hi AquilaChrysaetos,

(Brothers and sisters in Christ.) Keep in mind that during his realtime life, the order of the day was his Jewish culture. Also, Jesus was either called a rabbi or prophet or something negative.

Yes. "He died, he accomplished the mission...," because he played his ROLE perfectly...but it's not the end of the story because he knew about his divinity, his Godhead, the absolute fact that he's part of the Holy Trinity. His knowledge of his supreme power is not just due to a mere "awakening." Consciously playing a role is not the same as living a life. Therefore, he was able to detach himself from the ever-unfolding story of Jesus the flesh, but this doesn't mean that he didn't feel the suffering of his flesh. No doubt, he was able to fully put his consciousness to that level of thinking.

Therefore, if you're not invested in your ephemeral earthly identity because you know you're god (on a mission), you will not find it odd to go beyond your culture's limitations. You will also teach your truth to those around you.

Would you adopt out your own mother, especially if you have (adult and able) brothers to take care of her?

It's a big deal because these 3 passages are so subtle that you really have to be resurrected or "awakened" to get that "voila" feeling. I'm sure those "awakened" people who are reading these passages will get what I'm talking about. Again, they're enough to make me a Christian again.

Thank you for your reply, AquilaChrysaetos.

Peace.

Paul

Raisins_Face.jpg

OMG....................................................................................

</violafeeling>

In all seriousness though, I get finally what you're saying. You're right, it's like I saw each individual piece of the puzzle but couldn't put it together. I already knew many other accounts of Christ doing uncooth non-cultural things, but this one totally went right over the head.

Nice keen eye man. Now that's the kinda inspirational spirit driven Christianity I like to see! :tu:

Thank you so much for the incredibly valuable info! :tsu: I'll be sure to pass this along as much as I can...

• Like 1

A mother had to be taken care of a male member of the family in those days, John Mark the beloved Jesus`s consin.

• Like 1

Hi docyabut2,

The New Testament mentions James, Simon, Judas (Jude), and Joses (Joseph) as Jesus' half brothers since he was an Immaculate Conception.

John was a disciple. John was Jesus' cousin through Mary via Salome, Mary's sister, I believe.

Peace.

Paul

Edited by braveone2u

Thank you so much for the incredibly valuable info! :tsu: I'll be sure to pass this along as much as I can...

You are most welcome, AquilaChrysaetos.

Peace.

Paul

Um excuse but...does anyone remember reading that Jesus's brothers didn't believe in him ? I just remembered that . They were ashamed of him , so why would he ask them to care for Mariam? I think later they became believers and woke up to who he truly was but, they didn't accept him while he was with them.

And I think John was there with him through the entire event of the crucifixion.. Wasn't it John that the bible referred to as Jesus's favorite disciple..John believed in him unlike his own brothers... the brothers that the catholic church calls Jesus's cousins and the protestants call his actual brothers.

I'm sorry but I totally am not getting what you're saying Paul. Maybe you can explain it to me a bit so i understand, I'd appreciate that if you don't mind.

Thanks

Edited by Reann

I think later they became believers and woke up to who he truly was but, they didn't accept him while he was with them.

Hi Reann,

It's all there (without repeating myself). You will either get the voila feeling or you won't.

Thank you again for you reply.

Peace.

Paul

I amno expert on either the New or Old testament and so in replying here I am perfectly happy to find myself accused of ignorance but by pure coincidence I just finished a post asking the question about the source of spirituality and whether it was male or female and it seems to me that, in the light of that context, there may be another meaning that has not occurred to anyone. It is just an idea so please do not crucify me for it.

The point of my post was that the God source is female. Everything began with the female including the virgin birth of Jesus. If Jesus is the son of God then surely that makes his mother God. We are all of this earth, formed out of nature. Do we not cal our earth Mother? Do we not call our nature Mother? Jesus gave his Mother to John. Was he giving God to John?

From what I have learned about the bible, I believe that there is a grave danger of interpreting what it says in our own terminology having taken the words too literally. Nothing in the bible seems to be written in plain sight as it were. The true meanings are hidden in allegory and I feel that the suggestion that Jesus was adopting out his Mother may be a modern interpretation and not what was meant. Having said that, such an interpretation could certainly be taken as an argument in favour of the point of my recent post that the overall attitude of the Old Test at least, was downright sexist, and that Jesus adopting out his Mother reflected his own idea that the female only exists to serve the male. Although I could make good use of this logic I do not believe that it is true. Jesus was a respecter of all life and it was those who failed to do so equally, who were the focus of his anger.

Edited by dogonstar111

Hi dogonstar111,

I respect your belief system. I am standing behind my posts, however. It is my journey, after all, and my main interest for this particular post is the New Testiment. As I have mentioned to Reann, "You will either get the voila feeling or you won't." My main point is far away from being literal, no doubt, especially since no one in this world has ever concocted it.

It's definitely original.

Thank you for the reply.

Peace.

Paul

Edited by braveone2u
  • Like 1

Hi dogonstar111,

I respect your belief system. I am standing behind my posts, however. It is my journey, after all, and my main interest for this particular post is the New Testiment. As I have mentioned to Reann, "You will either get the voila feeling or you won't." My main point is far away from being literal, no doubt, especially since no one in this world has ever concocted it.

It's definitely original.

Thank you for the reply.

Peace.

Paul

Thanks Paul. Respect is mutual. I have to say however that I do not have, or even wish to have, a belief system as such. Such systems tend to require one to own much excess baggage and enables stereotypical judgements and prejudices. It is my personal policy to try to explore any possibility that, in my judgement, is inspired by my own applied logic and exploration of ideas. I accept that the voyage is ongoing and continuous and that change has to be accepted throughout its course. I use no one doctrine to form the basis of my transient beliefs which makes me unidentifiable with any one group.

The only trouble is that we have had so many traps laid for us, with the main aim being to hide the truth and generate conflict by encouraging us to 'take sides' or 'sign up'. It appears to me that our true spirit has been contaminated and become manifest predominantly in men. Jesus is one of the men who has been born with the purity of his mother which is why he, and all of those identified as a possible successor, have been persecuted by the men whose interest it has always been to have war rather than peace.

Thank you.

Hi Reann,

It's all there (without repeating myself). You will either get the voila feeling or you won't.

Thank you again for you reply.

Peace.

Paul

You mentioned the fact that it's written in the bible that he asked John to care for his Mother, right? And all I mentioned to you in return was that his brothers didn't believe in him..To be clear they didn't believe that he was the messiah and in being even more clear they were ashamed of him....Why would'nt he have said to his mother that John will take care of you? like a son and for her to be treated as a mother should be treated and loved and looked after, especially in that time of what was happening. Sorry but , i don;t know what you mean or what you're getting at . I sort of see the human side of Christ in that particular situation, not only the God head part of Christ in that situation. He loved his mother and before his death he wanted her to be safe and looked after by the apostle that the bible says Jesus loved. What i never did get though, and i don't think anyone truly knows why it says that , people may have opinions but Jesus loved them all.

There's also a part in the bible where Mariam was trying to get to where he was at or something while Jesus was talking to a crowd and someone told him that his mother was there or trying to reach a closer spot there near him he began saying who is my mother who is my father.. i think some were confused too about what he was saying.Often times the parables he taught were not so clear to everyone. I mean i can research this out about john and the fact that he was there with his mother during the crucifiction and...cared for her as though she was his own mother, but truly i don;t get what you're saying and you seem to not want to elaborate it .

John the Apostle (Aramaic Yoħanna, Koine Greek Ἰωάννης) (c. AD 6 – c. 100) was one of the Twelve Apostles of Jesus. He was the son of Zebedee and Salome and brother of James, son of Zebedee, another of the Twelve Apostles. Christian tradition holds that he outlived the remaining apostles—all of whom suffered martyrdom (except Judas Iscariot)—and ultimately died of natural causes "in great old age in Ephesus" at the beginning of the second century.[1] The Church Fathers consider him the same person as John the Evangelist, John of Patmos, and the Beloved Disciple

http://en.wikipedia....ohn_the_Apostle

Edited by Reann

I amno expert on either the New or Old testament and so in replying here I am perfectly happy to find myself accused of ignorance but by pure coincidence I just finished a post asking the question about the source of spirituality and whether it was male or female and it seems to me that, in the light of that context, there may be another meaning that has not occurred to anyone. It is just an idea so please do not crucify me for it.

The point of my post was that the God source is female. Everything began with the female including the virgin birth of Jesus. If Jesus is the son of God then surely that makes his mother God. We are all of this earth, formed out of nature. Do we not cal our earth Mother? Do we not call our nature Mother? Jesus gave his Mother to John. Was he giving God to John?

From what I have learned about the bible, I believe that there is a grave danger of interpreting what it says in our own terminology having taken the words too literally. Nothing in the bible seems to be written in plain sight as it were. The true meanings are hidden in allegory and I feel that the suggestion that Jesus was adopting out his Mother may be a modern interpretation and not what was meant. Having said that, such an interpretation could certainly be taken as an argument in favour of the point of my recent post that the overall attitude of the Old Test at least, was downright sexist, and that Jesus adopting out his Mother reflected his own idea that the female only exists to serve the male. Although I could make good use of this logic I do not believe that it is true. Jesus was a respecter of all life and it was those who failed to do so equally, who were the focus of his anger.

I think woman are more so the nurtures , I'm not saying that men aren't nurtures because a lot of men are but usually men are more so the hunters, the stronger of the two. I do think that women played a larger role in the church or just in that nature of spiritual essence. And from what i understand God is neither male nor female, God is both in a sense, but not in a transgender manner of it , of course you know though...

As for male and female and God in my personal opinion and feel of it i do believe these are all reflections of Gods identity, a part of God, but still God is so much more greater than nature itself which is a reflection of Gods identity...I think it's weird when i hear people talk about reincarnation and that we all were once male or female. I'm a female and it's just so strange for me to consider that if reincarnation is true i could of existed as a male once..that just doesn't feel right to me.

Also the male and female aspects relate to ourselves to our brain... as the male is the doer and the female is the creative side of our brain...our thoughts are thought and that's considered our creative feminine side and when we put them into motion that considered our masculine side ... anyway it's taught more so in metaphysical teachings I like some of their teaching , not everything though but a lot of metaphysical teachings feel like Christ teachings to me...

Edited by Reann

You mentioned the fact that it's written in the bible that he asked John to care for his Mother, right?

And all I mentioned to you in return was that his brothers didn't believe in him..

Hi Reann,

I didn't say that "care for his mother" was written in the Bible. It's an assumption...on my part. Big difference. Besides, "caring for his mother" is not my main point, even though the Bible said, "...this disciple took her into his home." My main point is the metaphysical context, why Jesus was able to go beyond his cultural contraints.

But Jesus' brothers did believe in him later on, enough to convert. When did they convert? They PROBABLY converted during the Pentecost period or even before that -- perhaps after they heard of Jesus' resurrection.

Yes, no doubt Jesus loved his mother; therefore, why add to her grief by adopting her out to John, a mere disciple? It went against Jesus' cultural norm. Again, my take is a metaphysical one. It's just a theory. There are other theories out there.

You have a good day, Reann.

Paul

Well said, dogonstar111. I hear you. My Christian path is a personal one. I'm not in a particular sect. I don't even have a group. I am reaching out, however.

Peace.

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Reann,

I didn't say that "care for his mother" was written in the Bible. It's an assumption...on my part. Big difference. Besides, "caring for his mother" is not my main point, even though the Bible said, "...this disciple took her into his home." My main point is the metaphysical context, why Jesus was able to go beyond his cultural contraints.

But Jesus' brothers did believe in him later on, enough to convert. When did they convert? They PROBABLY converted during the Pentecost period or even before that -- perhaps after they heard of Jesus' resurrection.

Yes, no doubt Jesus loved his mother; therefore, why add to her grief by adopting her out to John, a mere disciple? It went against Jesus' cultural norm. Again, my take is a metaphysical one. It's just a theory. There are other theories out there.

You have a good day, Reann.

Paul

I can't imagine how awful they must of felt after they realized or had had that revelation of who he actually was. Can't even begin to imagine all the pain that Mariam had in her heart about it all . I wonder at times about so many things but once i begin to doubt the authenticity of Christ I'm reminded by somethings that i have personally experienced in my own life. Christ is and truly existed just as the bible speaks .. but other stories before him are so similar that so many people especially well schooled people feel nothing for Christ and closed the door calling him a myth..but so many myths have truth in them...

Anyway, yes i know you didn't say that he cared for her but that was the main objective wasn't it? Anyone can be adopted and not cared for,right?

You said a mere disciple? But John wasn't a mere disciple he was one who got it and understood on a higher level..Also Mary knew John because she traveled with them at times. She was there very much , so were other women which was forbidden by custom... not to mention healing on the sabbath day and all or eating grain on the way back in from the desert side or wherever they were coming in from on their journey...

John was no stranger to Mariam . I don't feel he was a mere disciple either ..I feel that Mariam must of been devastated with her other children at that time though... I know that the Angel said she will be known as blessed amongst all women ....

O.K ...so being that just about everything Jesus did seemed to not be o.k with the priest back then according to their tradition and culture, not to mention how they tried to trap him many times by means of their tradition and culture as someone who they wanted to be looked upon as well a criminal and unworthy...

I'll try and figure out what it is that you're getting at and if and when i do I'll post it being that you won't tell me. lol

I can't imagine how awful they must of felt after they realized or had had that revelation of who he actually was. Can't even begin to imagine all the pain that Mariam had in her heart about it all . I wonder at times about so many things but once i begin to doubt the authenticity of Christ I'm reminded by somethings that i have personally experienced in my own life. Christ is and truly existed just as the bible speaks .. but other stories before him are so similar that so many people especially well schooled people feel nothing for Christ and closed the door calling him a myth..but so many myths have truth in them...

Anyway, yes i know you didn't say that he cared for her but that was the main objective wasn't it? Anyone can be adopted and not cared for,right?

You said a mere disciple? But John wasn't a mere disciple he was one who got it and understood on a higher level..Also Mary knew John because she traveled with them at times. She was there very much , so were other women which was forbidden by custom... not to mention healing on the sabbath day and all or eating grain on the way back in from the desert side or wherever they were coming in from on their journey...

John was no stranger to Mariam . I don't feel he was a mere disciple either ..I feel that Mariam must of been devastated with her other children at that time though... I know that the Angel said she will be known as blessed amongst all women ....

O.K ...so being that just about everything Jesus did seemed to not be o.k with the priest back then according to their tradition and culture, not to mention how they tried to trap him many times by means of their tradition and culture as someone who they wanted to be looked upon as well a criminal and unworthy...

I'll try and figure out what it is that you're getting at and if and when i do I'll post it being that you won't tell me. lol

Hi,

[Anyone can be adopted and not cared for,right?] Yes, but that's irrelevant to my point. On the other hand, you have to keep in mind that Mary was able to care for herself. She was not a feeble woman. She traveled with John.

[John wasn't a mere disciple] When I said "mere," it's to compare it with "blood" brothers. Yes, John is Jesus' beloved deciple; however, Jesus had "blood" brothers, Mary's sons.

[so being that just about everything Jesus did seemed to not be o.k with the priest back then according to their tradition and culture, not to mention how they tried to trap him many times by means of their tradition and culture as someone who they wanted to be looked upon as well a criminal and unworthy...] Exactly, you've just added to my point, but John 19:26, 19:27 went too far, if you will.

Thanks again for your thoughts, Reann.

Peace.

Paul

Edited by braveone2u

Hi,

Jesus is choosing a member of his innermost circle to look after his mother. The choice of wording reminds me a little of someone keeping to an ancient tradition, thereby the use of the words he used are in keeping with the ancient formula, probably used in Jewish circles for centuries.

We know that historically Jesus had other brothers and sisters. These were not merely brothers and sisters in the spirit, but blood relatives They would traditionally have been the people to look after a widow who had lost her husband and her eldest son.

That Jesus chose to sidestep the tradition but kept the ancient wording implies a number of things.

1st that he did not believe his siblings could take better care of his mother than the people who followed him right to the end. He thus chose the people, he believed, possed the greater capacity for caring for his mother.

2nd, that his siblings did not believe in him and his mission and were thus not worthy to take care of his mother, who was herself a believer.

3rd that John was considered not only a brother in spirit but family as well, family enough to take over the responsabilites laid out to the eldest son of a family who had no father.

The wording of the text, as I stated earlier, may be part of an ancient tradition in keeping with the Torah, where the command to help the poor, widows, orphans, travelers, and others in need was very important. Rabbis came to believe that charity could be done only with one's possessions while true compassion required the giving of oneself. Charity could be given only to the poor while compassion could be extended to anyone.

Jesus took this further than tradition required, he gave his mother a son and a to a son he gave a mother.In essence it is not a request but the commisioning of a mission.

Paul

The it, is a specific reference to his mission on earth, the purpose for having become flesh. It is not a mere reference to the end of his life.

Hi Jor-el,

[1st that he did not believe his siblings could take better care of his mother than the people who followed him right to the end.]

Is that in the Bible?

[2nd, that his siblings did not believe in him and his mission

3rd that John was considered not only a brother in spirit but family as well, family enough to take over the responsabilites laid out to the eldest son of a family who had no father.]

I came from the Old World; therefore, I know the weight of "blood" relations. Jesus' had brothers...

Yes, no doubt Jesus loved his mother; therefore, why add to her grief by adopting her out to John, a disciple? It went against Jesus' cultural norm. Again, my take is a metaphysical one. It's just a theory. There are other theories out there.

Thank you for you reply, Jorel.

Peace.

Paul

(...back to work.)

Edited by braveone2u

Hi,

[Anyone can be adopted and not cared for,right?] Yes, but that's irrelevant to my point. On the other hand, you have to keep in mind that Mary was able to care for herself. She was not a feeble woman. She traveled with John.

[John wasn't a mere disciple] When I said "mere," it's to compare it with "blood" brothers. Yes, John is Jesus' beloved deciple; however, Jesus had "blood" brothers, Mary's sons.

[so being that just about everything Jesus did seemed to not be o.k with the priest back then according to their tradition and culture, not to mention how they tried to trap him many times by means of their tradition and culture as someone who they wanted to be looked upon as well a criminal and unworthy...] Exactly, you've just added to my point, but John 19:26, 19:27 went too far, if you will.

Thanks again for your thoughts, Reann.

Peace.

Paul

I have to look at this book later the book of John, I'm actually going to read over the story.It's been a while since I've even opened a bible. but... I'm interested in understanding this, I'm always open to discovering things.After all i don't know much about anything and when I think i do, i realize i know nothing at all.

But the circumstance of it all always reminded me of the part in the bible when He was somewhere giving a sermon and a couple of his followers lead his mother Mariam up near him or was trying to and somehow making a big deal about her presence there ,I think they made their way through the crowd or something like that and to everyone surprise Jesus said who is my Mother,I don't really remember if he then said who is my father or what but I think he went on into this topic i don't remember so that's another thing i want to look up again. But i think it had something to do with what is or what makes a mother and what is or what makes a father or something... maybe you recall the story... So you think John went too far or the chapter ? lol I think I'm confused about that. Are you saying John went too far? Oh and i knew what you meant about john not being blood but it just didn't feel right to me sorry if i came out too whatever about it. I don;t mean to sound too whatever, you know...

Hi Jor-el,

[1st that he did not believe his siblings could take better care of his mother than the people who followed him right to the end.]

Is that in the Bible?

[2nd, that his siblings did not believe in him and his mission

3rd that John was considered not only a brother in spirit but family as well, family enough to take over the responsabilites laid out to the eldest son of a family who had no father.]

I came from the Old World; therefore, I know the weight of "blood" relations. Jesus' had brothers...

Yes, no doubt Jesus loved his mother; therefore, why add to her grief by adopting her out to John, a disciple? It went against Jesus' cultural norm. Again, my take is a metaphysical one. It's just a theory. There are other theories out there.

Thank you for you reply, Jorel.

Peace.

Paul

(...back to work.)

And why do you consider it "grief" for Mary to be taken in by John as family?

Some of his family did convert, later on, we don't know when, we don't even know if it was during the Pentacost, it could have been a number of years later. The bible is silent on the subject, we cannot guess when.

We do know, that Jesus chose this path for Mary, as was his responsability and right as head of the family.

Widows had no protection if family turned away from them. They would have had to rely on charity from strangers. Jesus in my opion merely prevented such a situation. The fact that He did command John to take her in, is enough circumstancial evidence that his family could not be relied upon.

This in itself tells us that his brothers and sisters had turned away from Jesus and Mary, who was his follower. Later on there would have been joy, when they did convert, we only know of James, Joseph (Joses), Judas and Simon, we don't know if any of his sisters converted later on. What we can gather though is at the time of his death, none of them could be counted on by Jesus in looking after his mother.

We can of course be all metaphysical about it, but the actual circumstances according to the text are those laid out for us.

Edited by Jor-el