Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A few interesting Bible facts...

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#91    newbern930

newbern930

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

View PostVenomshocker, on 03 February 2005 - 05:58 AM, said:

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived:

neither fornicators, nor idolaters,......

Uh oh, people who have sex cant go to heaven. style_emoticons/default/wink2.gif

That is the most peculiar bible verse I have ever read.

sex is not fornication, if its with your married partner.  The Bible also says to "keep the marriage bed undefiled".

#92    newbern930

newbern930

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

View Postschadeaux, on 27 June 2004 - 02:39 PM, said:

QUOTE (paradigm_blue @ Jun 26 2004, 05:36 AM) Proof of divine inspiration?  I certainly think so.  Merely a morale book..well that's left up to the reader but I personally don't think so.  I ask the question, is it the only religious book that stacks up with modern science?  Before you answer that one, let's do our homework and not throw in the usual debate about evolution.  Cause evolution has been proven to be a false science.  There is nothing simple about a single celled organsim.  

paradigm blue, this thread is simply about Bible "FACTS," interesting little tidbits.  Nothing scientific or religeous.

Please lets not turn this into a flame war that will eventually get closed.  There are other threads for the science/religeon debate.

I agree....lets be decent here..If someone doesnt believe the Bible anyway...pleas dont waste your time trying to get the rest of us persuaded to follow you.

#93    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 3,974 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

Newbern, welcome to the forums! :)

You're quoting people from 8 years ago. They're not going to respond.

#94    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

View Postnewbern930, on 09 January 2013 - 12:52 AM, said:

I agree....lets be decent here..If someone doesnt believe the Bible anyway...pleas dont waste your time trying to get the rest of us persuaded to follow you.

Then be expected to do the same thing and accept that some of us believe that the bible is just a moral guide book at best, instead of the ultimate truth.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#95    Crikey

Crikey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

• I just keep getting stronger..

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Jesus was solid flesh and blood seen by thousands including the Roman garrison, so to dismiss him as a "myth" seems a bit harsh.
In scientific terms he was an alien visitor-

He said "I am not of this world" (John 8:23)....."I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going" (John 8:14)......"I'll tell you things hidden since the creation of the world" (Matt 13:35,

so isn't it a bit illogical of us not to at least listen to what he has to say?
Hey Spock would you listen to him?
"Affirmative, I'm all ears"

Posted Image

#96    Quaentum

Quaentum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

• The number of fringe believers is inversely proportional to what is left to discover in our world.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostCrikey, on 11 January 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

Jesus was solid flesh and blood seen by thousands including the Roman garrison, so to dismiss him as a "myth" seems a bit harsh.

The only reference to Jesus is in the Bible.  Were he real, other documentation would exist to support what is written in the Bible and without them he can not be said to have existed.

Crikey said:

In scientific terms he was an alien visitor-

He said "I am not of this world" (John 8:23)....."I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going" (John 8:14)......"I'll tell you things hidden since the creation of the world" (Matt 13:35,

so isn't it a bit illogical of us not to at least listen to what he has to say?
Hey Spock would you listen to him?
"Affirmative, I'm all ears"

With the lack of corroborating evidence he would be, in scientific terms, someone whose existence has not been proven.

Spock would say "You hold in your hands a book with accounts of a person called Jesus, yet there is nothing to substantiate what is written.  It would not be logical to presume the existence of Jesus on that document alone"

AA LOGIC
They didn't use thousands of workers - oops forgot about the work camps
There's no evidence for ramps - You found one?...Bummer
Well we know they didn't use ancient tools to cut and shape the stones - Chisel marks?  Craps
I still say aliens built them!

#97    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,649 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

View PostCrikey, on 11 January 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

So where are these thousands of accounts?

Matthew 27:52-53 says dead saints rose from their graves and appeared to many. Strange no one else bothered to record it.

Not everything a book says is true.

#98    Mangoze

Mangoze

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 12 January 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

So where are these thousands of accounts?

Matthew 27:52-53 says dead saints rose from their graves and appeared to many. Strange no one else bothered to record it.

Not everything a book says is true.
Crikey may be referring to Tacitus.

#99    Karyotype

Karyotype

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 100 posts

• No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

may or may not BS, but where is the proof?  We ask for proof in everything else,  Where is your proof?

"Democracy is two wolves deciding what to eat for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
-Thomas Jefferson-

#100    Karyotype

Karyotype

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 100 posts

• No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

I can produce numetouks folks that will swear that there Re aliens fromrhe moon that are here right this minute, so where is your proof?

"Democracy is two wolves deciding what to eat for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
-Thomas Jefferson-

#101    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,015 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

Proof -Jesus son of Joseph.

http://en.wikipedia....t_Tomb_of_Jesus

#102    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,287 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

View Postdocyabut2, on 13 January 2013 - 12:53 AM, said:

Proof -Jesus son of Joseph.

http://en.wikipedia....t_Tomb_of_Jesus

That ossuary has already been established as at least partly a hoax. A portion of the inscription is fraudulent.

The Wiki article references a Discovery Channel special produced by a filmmaker named Simcha Jacobovici. I remember watching it and found it interesting but ultimately implausible. Biblical scholars who've commented on the TV special agree. Jacobovici produces some flashy specials but they're extremely short on reliable historicity. His work is primarily idle speculation set to special effects. Remember Exodus Decoded? It was comically inept.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#103    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,015 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

r

View Postkmt_sesh, on 13 January 2013 - 01:21 AM, said:

That ossuary has already been established as at least partly a hoax. A portion of the inscription is fraudulent.

The Wiki article references a Discovery Channel special produced by a filmmaker named Simcha Jacobovici. I remember watching it and found it interesting but ultimately implausible. Biblical scholars who've commented on the TV special agree. Jacobovici produces some flashy specials but they're extremely short on reliable historicity. His work is primarily idle speculation set to special effects. Remember Exodus Decoded? It was comically inept.

I know, the Archeolgists say there were many people by those names, yet all the names of Jesus `s family may have been there, except for Simon and Jesus`s Sisters that were not named in the Bible.

His Exodus Decoded was really convincing, however I still hold that Moses may have been Akhenaten:)

#104    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,287 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

View Postdocyabut2, on 13 January 2013 - 02:26 AM, said:

r

I know, the Archeolgists say there were many people by those names, yet all the names of Jesus `s family may have been there, except for Simon and Jesus`s Sisters that were not named in the Bible.

His Exodus Decoded was really convincing, however I still hold that Moses may have been Akhenaten:)

Akhenaten was the son of Amunhotep III and a pagan who worshiped the sun disk. He never left Egypt nor was driven out; in fact, once he finished his purpose-built city of Akhetaten, there's no real evidence that he ever left its confines again.

And the Hebrews did not even yet exist.

How on earth could Akhenaten and Moses be the same person?

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#105    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,266 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 14 January 2013 - 02:51 AM, said:

Akhenaten was the son of Amunhotep III and a pagan who worshiped the sun disk. He never left Egypt nor was driven out; in fact, once he finished his purpose-built city of Akhetaten, there's no real evidence that he ever left its confines again.

And the Hebrews did not even yet exist.

How on earth could Akhenaten and Moses be the same person?

Dissociative identity disorder? :w00t:

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users