Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

the Bent Spoon


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    shadowofadoubt

shadowofadoubt

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Joined:01 Oct 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Grand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:29 PM

Bobby Nelson (username the Paranormal Skeptic) and I have created a new, free monthly magazine called the Bent Spoon.

In the landscape of paranormal media, there are traditionally two unique, yet separate, brands.  One geared toward the believers, and the other more skeptical in nature.  The problem is that the true believers rarely, if ever, embrace a skeptical attitude or ask tough questions of their community; instead preferring to surround themselves with likeminded individuals that reinforce their own belief systems.  And the skeptics, likewise, promote science and critical thinking largely to those already open to it, or who are active participants in the skeptical community.  This results in an echo chamber effect, wherein the same ideas are bounced back and forth, guru-student relationships are inadvertently created, and neither side ends up learning much about the other.
Enter:  The Bent Spoon.
Posted Image

The Bent Spoon is a skeptical magazine for the true believer.  Within its pages you will find Q&A between those with opposing viewpoints, interviews with leading investigators and thinkers, as well as articles which will not only provide in-depth analysis, but also be critical of both believers and skeptics alike.  Along with reviews, comic strips, and other lighter fare, The Bent Spoon hopes to foster an attitude of outreach, forming a middle ground where believers and skeptics can come together and have a conversation about the issues and questions we’ve all given thought to.
The Bent Spoon.  Where extraordinary claims meet ordinary explanations.
This is the Skeptical magazine for the True Believers!
If you are interested in subscribing to this free online magazine, just send an email to thebentspoon@live.com with the word “subscribe” in the subject line.  Thank you.


#2    Enoonmai

Enoonmai

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • Joined:19 Apr 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Georgia Mountains

  • There are things known, and things unknown, in between are the doors

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:53 PM

My spoon bends away from my mouth when I pick it up with my right hand, I want to pick it up with my left

Lone Wolf; Test Everything - Believe Nothing

#3    vitruvian12

vitruvian12

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  • Joined:26 Dec 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:British Columbia

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:29 AM

View Postshadowofadoubt, on 13 May 2011 - 02:29 PM, said:

Bobby Nelson (username the Paranormal Skeptic) and I have created a new, free monthly magazine called the Bent Spoon.

In the landscape of paranormal media, there are traditionally two unique, yet separate, brands.  One geared toward the believers, and the other more skeptical in nature.  The problem is that the true believers rarely, if ever, embrace a skeptical attitude or ask tough questions of their community; instead preferring to surround themselves with likeminded individuals that reinforce their own belief systems.  And the skeptics, likewise, promote science and critical thinking largely to those already open to it, or who are active participants in the skeptical community.  This results in an echo chamber effect, wherein the same ideas are bounced back and forth, guru-student relationships are inadvertently created, and neither side ends up learning much about the other.
Enter:  The Bent Spoon.
Posted Image

The Bent Spoon is a skeptical magazine for the true believer.  Within its pages you will find Q&A between those with opposing viewpoints, interviews with leading investigators and thinkers, as well as articles which will not only provide in-depth analysis, but also be critical of both believers and skeptics alike.  Along with reviews, comic strips, and other lighter fare, The Bent Spoon hopes to foster an attitude of outreach, forming a middle ground where believers and skeptics can come together and have a conversation about the issues and questions we’ve all given thought to.
The Bent Spoon.  Where extraordinary claims meet ordinary explanations.
This is the Skeptical magazine for the True Believers!
If you are interested in subscribing to this free online magazine, just send an email to thebentspoon@live.com with the word “subscribe” in the subject line.  Thank you.
Are either of you two "True Believers"? From what I recall of the Paranormal Skeptic's post it seems he isnt.  If you arent it seems odd you would make a magazine geared towards true believers.


#4    Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen

    El Lobo

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts
  • Joined:27 Dec 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:32 AM

View Postvitruvian12, on 16 May 2011 - 12:29 AM, said:

Are either of you two "True Believers"? From what I recall of the Paranormal Skeptic's post it seems he isnt.  If you arent it seems odd you would make a magazine geared towards true believers.
It probably seems odd to you because you aren't considering the fact that some subjects may be true, and so the magazine may validate such subjects for the believers.

Life is too short to waste on responsibilities. :)

#5    shadowofadoubt

shadowofadoubt

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Joined:01 Oct 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Grand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

View Postvitruvian12, on 16 May 2011 - 12:29 AM, said:

Are either of you two "True Believers"? From what I recall of the Paranormal Skeptic's post it seems he isnt.  If you arent it seems odd you would make a magazine geared towards true believers.

No, we're not. The magazine is aimed to be a meeting ground, since most websites, radio/podcasts, and magazines on either side of the fence tend to "preach to the choir", we wanted to create a resource for many perspectives to meet and exchange ideas.


#6    vitruvian12

vitruvian12

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  • Joined:26 Dec 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:British Columbia

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:17 AM

View PostSoul Kitchen, on 16 May 2011 - 04:32 AM, said:

It probably seems odd to you because you aren't considering the fact that some subjects may be true, and so the magazine may validate such subjects for the believers.
A true believer wouldnt need validation though, would he? (or she)


#7    Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen

    El Lobo

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts
  • Joined:27 Dec 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:24 AM

View Postvitruvian12, on 17 May 2011 - 02:17 AM, said:

A true believer wouldnt need validation though, would he? (or she)
But it's good for a tentative believer. Who says that only 'true' believers are allowed to read the publication?

Besides, it shows a 'true believer' that there are others that acknowledge, and possible believe, that of which said believer believes in. Also, validation is always nice for anyone short of a blind believer. Although a skeptic would likely consider such to be the same as a true believer anyways... But the point remains.

Life is too short to waste on responsibilities. :)

#8    Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen

    El Lobo

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts
  • Joined:27 Dec 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:26 AM

Also, I'd like to say that I like the cover design. It has a sort of sober impression.

Life is too short to waste on responsibilities. :)

#9    shadowofadoubt

shadowofadoubt

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Joined:01 Oct 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Grand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

View PostSoul Kitchen, on 17 May 2011 - 03:26 AM, said:

Also, I'd like to say that I like the cover design. It has a sort of sober impression.

Thanks!


#10    daviddee

daviddee

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Joined:22 May 2011
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:27 AM

I do not think it can be done.....I have to see it to believe it.....sorry, I just do not thing the mind can do it....


#11    shadowofadoubt

shadowofadoubt

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Joined:01 Oct 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Grand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:54 PM

View Postdaviddee, on 06 June 2011 - 03:27 AM, said:

I do not think it can be done.....I have to see it to believe it.....sorry, I just do not thing the mind can do it....
what do you mean?


#12    Surreptitious

Surreptitious

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Joined:16 Apr 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • Words, Meaning, Music.

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:20 AM

View Postshadowofadoubt, on 06 June 2011 - 08:54 PM, said:

what do you mean?

This is what happens when people don't read. This person's reply was their opinion on Spoon Bending with telekinesis.

"Whenever science makes a discovery, the devil grabs it while the angels are debating the best way to use it." ~ A.V.
"A Physicist is an atom's way of knowing about atoms." ~ G.W.

#13    shadowofadoubt

shadowofadoubt

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Joined:01 Oct 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Grand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:14 AM

If anyone's interested, we're up to issue 6 and currently working on issue 7, which deals with Ghost Hunting.
http://thebentspoonmag.com/


#14    _Only

_Only

  • Member
  • 6,632 posts
  • Joined:24 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern California

  • Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:50 PM

View PostSurreptitious, on 07 June 2011 - 12:20 AM, said:

This is what happens when people don't read. This person's reply was their opinion on Spoon Bending with telekinesis.

:lol:

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#15    psyche101

psyche101

    Conspiracy Realist

  • Member
  • 31,812 posts
  • Joined:30 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oz

  • If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:12 AM

Stumbled on this a week or two ago. I rather liked the article on Emily Rosa. However, the interview with Stanton Friedman is how I happened across the link initially. Quite a chuckle, rather sure of himself Stanton, and as you say, he seemed to miss the point of the interview. I wonder if he will speak yo you guys again. But he did manage to plug his books many times in between complaining about how much he thought you guys were useless. Shame he did not just shut up and get on with the interview so we could see if he actually had something to say.

If I write an article for free, do I get to meet Dr.Karen Stollznow in person?? :w00t: HUBBA HUBBA!!!!!!!!!!!


I mean WOW CRIKEY!!! :blink: beauty and brains, she just has it all! wotta woman!


I like the bent spoon. :tu:

Edited by psyche101, 17 November 2011 - 03:14 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users