Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Astronomers find water on extra-solar planet

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16    . Alexandros .

. Alexandros .

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:07 PM

Well i know that there are many organsims in deep underwater caves, where the water is below freezing tempurature. but there small mostly microscopic.

#17    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,170 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:15 PM

Well i know that there are many organsims in deep underwater caves, where the water is below freezing tempurature. but there small mostly microscopic.

The water may be below OoC but it is still liquid. There are also organisms that can exist in water that is above 100oC. However they formed on a planet that was conducive to life forming.
The temperature ranges that life on Earth can exist in may seem extreme but by the standards of celestial bodies it is actually a very narrow range. Take Titan for example. Titan has been described as an "Earth in deep freeze". It has hydrocarbons and a thick nitrogen atmosphere, just the conditions that it believed existed on the Early Earth. The big difference is the temperature, water ice is as hard as rock on Titan, it is highly unlikely that life could form there.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#18    ArchVile68

ArchVile68

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

• You just lost The Game

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:48 PM

Astronomers find water on extra-solar planet

doesn't really surprise me

For we are many, the many are strong.