Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Siberian mystery creature

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#16    Macroramphosis

Macroramphosis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

• "The clever men at Oxford
    Know all that there is to be knowed.
    But they none of them know one half as much
    As intelligent Mr. Toad!"

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:29 AM

View PostThegreatsilence, on 21 September 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

Most  lake monsters in the Northern hemisphere are probably either sturgeons or more rarely giant salamanders.

Is this your summation of the phenomenon after years of research in the field ? It does seem as though you have stated this as fact.........

“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”

#17    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:52 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 22 September 2012 - 02:07 AM, said:

Well I wondered if it was similiar to Salt Lake in some way,but you think they would have stipulated this.
If research teams do go,you would think they would have tested the water.
Maybe they found nothing unusual ...?

I guess thats kind of my point.  If it was similar to one of the other mineral-laden lakes...Great Salt Lake, Dead Sea...etc then there would likely be some reference to it somewhere regarding its chemistry.  And if it isn't anything out of the ordinary, well thats just strange enough that there would be scientists studying it for that reason and writing papers about it.  Its the fact that there is neither that I think is odd.  It makes me wonder if it never really freezes or if thats just part of the mythology thats grown up around it.  I mean how are we to know one way or another?  All we have are a handful of stories from some remote place that none of us knows much about.  They could say anything they want and it would be difficult for the average person to confirm or deny it.

Again..just kinda wierd.  Truly an unexplained mystery.

#18    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 13,384 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:05 AM

View PostMacroramphosis, on 22 September 2012 - 04:29 AM, said:

Is this your summation of the phenomenon after years of research in the field ? It does seem as though you have stated this as fact.........

From everything I have researched through books, journals, and so on.....That is fact....( well, not the giant salamanders )....Sturgeon, schools of fish, otters, birds, seals, manitee, waves, wakes...

As far as I have seen, there has not been anything found of a monster in a lake as of yet.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#19    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 13,384 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:18 AM

Everywhere I read it says it is a reservoir.....That means man made....No monster there.

Not very big either.....

Picture1.jpg

But hey, the daily mail rocks.

Picture is from a pdf file I found about the Lake.

http://www.google.co...3ZipaX34gYhYoPw

Edited by Sakari, 22 September 2012 - 05:20 AM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#20    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:53 AM

View PostSakari, on 22 September 2012 - 05:18 AM, said:

Everywhere I read it says it is a reservoir.....That means man made....No monster there.

Not very big either.....

Attachment Picture1.jpg

The lake in the pic doesn't even look deep enough to use sonar in, but in the article they are claiming to have gotten sonar hits from 15-17 meters.  There is no way the lake in that pic is that deep.  I wonder if the whole story surrounding the lake - the monsters, the not freezing in winter, the no plant life growing there - is just made up.  The picture you posted, Sakari, seems to have some algae blooms happening.  Something is fishy here i say.

#21    Macroramphosis

Macroramphosis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:53 AM

View PostSakari, on 22 September 2012 - 05:05 AM, said:

From everything I have researched through books, journals, and so on.....That is fact....( well, not the giant salamanders )....Sturgeon, schools of fish, otters, birds, seals, manitee, waves, wakes...

As far as I have seen, there has not been anything found of a monster in a lake as of yet.

Nor a sturgeon, and nor a giant salamander - well, no sturgeon in such instances as to meet the qualifications of contemporary monster evidence posted by witnesses (15 - 30' long, head shaped like a horse with a mane, etc etc), anyway. Between an unknown monster and and unknown giant salamander, it's a difficult choice, right ? I mean, some of the suggested explanations are more bizarre than a supposed unknown animal. Didn't someone hypothesise a manatee the other day for a monster in Russia ?An unknown relic population of Baikal seals, perhaps, but a manatee ?

Except, of course, in the case of Lake Hana, where they're giant 20' plus salmonoids instead......

ps: but I like the way you add "as of yet". :D

Edited by Macroramphosis, 22 September 2012 - 06:22 AM.

“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”

#22    Macroramphosis

Macroramphosis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:07 AM

View PostSakari, on 22 September 2012 - 05:18 AM, said:

Not very big either.....

Attachment Picture1.jpg

You can't have done that much research then, otherwise you'd know that the picture you have shown is not the right body of water !  :)

Lake Labynkyr is 8.63 miles long, and over 2 miles wide at its widest. It would appear that the "monster" has been seen there for many years, as well.

Edited by Macroramphosis, 22 September 2012 - 06:11 AM.

#23    Macroramphosis

Macroramphosis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:20 AM

Actually, I have to laugh. In the pdf you posted there is a picture of the correct piece of water, which is totally apposite to the story, but which you obviously did not reconcile with the picture you posted.

I also think the term 'reservoir' used in the same pdf is a simple translation mistake. The Russian author was obviously looking for an English word to describe a body of water. There is no way at all that the lake would be a reservoir in a landscape of lakes on a geological landscape such as where is it situated. There is no need for a reservoir for hundreds of miles in either direction.

Edited by Macroramphosis, 22 September 2012 - 06:31 AM.

#24    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

View PostMacroramphosis, on 22 September 2012 - 04:29 AM, said:

It's a more factual statement than anything to do with a "lake monster"

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#25    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

View PostMacroramphosis, on 22 September 2012 - 06:20 AM, said:

Actually, I have to laugh. In the pdf you posted there is a picture of the correct piece of water, which is totally apposite to the story, but which you obviously did not reconcile with the picture you posted.

I also think the term 'reservoir' used in the same pdf is a simple translation mistake. The Russian author was obviously looking for an English word to describe a body of water. There is no way at all that the lake would be a reservoir in a landscape of lakes on a geological landscape such as where is it situated. There is no need for a reservoir for hundreds of miles in either direction.

There's a man-made reservoir in the Adirondacks and there are plenty of natural lakes there.  So, yes, there is precedent for this.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#26    Macroramphosis

Macroramphosis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

Rafterman, I am sure you can find precedents for all sorts of things. Stillwater might well have a reason for being, just THERE. The town of Gypsum with 3500 people is 27 miles way, as is US-70. Labyngkyr is 70 miles from a surfaced road and lies in the middle of a landscape reminiscent of the Canadian northern territories. I just think in this instance the word reservoir was misused by a translator.

Anyway, we're splitting hairs. I just wanted to point out that the lake reputed to hold a "monster", was exceedingly large enough to do so.

#27    Harlequin Dreamer

Harlequin Dreamer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

• Dear Optimist,Pessimist,and Realist, While you guys are busy arguing about a glass of water, I drank it. Sincerely the Opportunist.

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

True or not it was a nice read .

#28    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 13,384 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

View PostMacroramphosis, on 22 September 2012 - 06:07 AM, said:

You can't have done that much research then, otherwise you'd know that the picture you have shown is not the right body of water !  :)

Lake Labynkyr is 8.63 miles long, and over 2 miles wide at its widest. It would appear that the "monster" has been seen there for many years, as well.

I have done plenty of research on Lake Monsters....Did I say I did plenty on this lake?.....Did you not notice I wrote " here is link where I got the pic "????

My 5 minutes on this, I could not find anything on this lake other than 6 pages of " lake monster ".....

Can you share some factual, verifiable information on the lake that does not come from the lake monster stories?.....And a picture please.

The pdf also has a drawing of a lake with a monster in it, a picture with dinosaurs.......I did not write that PDF, I only shared it.

And almost , if not all the hits on gogle have " reservoir " in them....Are all of them translation mistakes?

Again, share some information on this " lake " with us other than stories about a lake monster, or the information coming from stories based on that.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#29    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 13,384 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

Lake Mead is the largest reservoir in the United States in maximum water capacity. It is located on the Colorado River about 24 mi from the Strip southeast of Las Vegas, Nevada, in the states of Nevada and Arizona. Wikipedia
Surface elevation: 1,112 feet (339 m)
Area: 247.1 sq miles (640 km²)
Shore length: 550 miles (885.1 km)
Length: 120 miles (193.1 km)
Outflow location: Colorado River
Fish: Striped bass, Largemouth bass, Bluegill, Channel catfish

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#30    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 13,384 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

Does this lake even exist?...

The page "Labynkyr Lake" does not exist. You can ask for it to be created, but consider checking the search results below to see whether the topic is already covered.
For search help, please visit Help:Searching.

From Wikepedia.....

Again, I can not find anything yet on this lake, other then the stories of " lake monster".....Even youtube only has 2 videos ( both the same )....Webshots has nothing with that name. ( large picture sharing community, has everything you can think of there )

Until someone shows me something verifiable, I have to say, not only the monster, but the lake as well do not exist.

The legendary lake Labynkyr is situated near the Pole of Cold on the territory of Oimyakon uluss. It is mystical and exotic attraction. Legends speak about the monster that lives deep in the water of the legendary lake and attacks dogs, reindeers and even people................

Seem to see a lot of that also....

http://www.yakutiatr...ynkyr-lake.html

Edited by Sakari, 22 September 2012 - 02:46 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users