Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lance Armstrong accused of doping

and-then

http://www.foxnews.c...titles-at-risk/

So Lance Armstrong, against who there has NEVER been any proof of wrongdoing offered, decides to give the governing body of his sport the middle finger. He has had literally hundreds of tests...all negative. Sheer jealousy and petulance on the part of an agency that cannot stand to be proven wrong has sapped Armstrong of time and MONEY for YEARS while he has tried to prove his innocence. No proof offered against him but the accusations continue relentlessly. I say GOOD ON HIM! If they want to use their "power" to besmirch the legacy of a great athlete then let them do so to their own shame. I hope the sport itself goes into decline over this travesty.

Edited by and then
  • Like 6

They are saying his 'giving up' fighting the charges is an admission of guilt. I really don't agree.

And stripping him of all seven titles is awful. I feel really bad for the guy, he was a legend.

I'm still on his side.

• Like 7

Yeah, I read a pretty vicious article earlier insulting him repeatedly and giving the "fore shame!" ploy pretty heavily. For some reason they decided to disable comments on that article.

At least Nike and Bush are still standing behind him.

• Like 1

someone has it in for him, me thinks some second placer has a grudge

Maybe the french were offended because people started calling it the Tour de Lance?

• Like 3

Having been on the receiving end of a witch hunt, I sympathize with him and totally understand. There are times to say it's just not worth it.

• Like 4

You guys must not know that there was, and is, an apparent practice of taking illegal performance enhancing drugs and prior to testing, having a full blood transfusion to show up negative. This does not work with fat-soluble drugs.

I wish I could find the article on that, it was from one of his team mates, I think, who admitted the same practice.

http://www.foxnews.c...titles-at-risk/

So Lance Armstrong, against who there has NEVER been any proof of wrongdoing offered, decides to give the governing body of his sport the middle finger. He has had literally hundreds of tests...all negative. Sheer jealousy and petulance on the part of an agency that cannot stand to be proven wrong has sapped Armstrong of time and MONEY for YEARS while he has tried to prove his innocence. No proof offered against him but the accusations continue relentlessly. I say GOOD ON HIM! If they want to use their "power" to besmirch the legacy of a great athlete then let them do so to their own shame. I hope the sport itself goes into decline over this travesty.

I love TMZ ,but someone on the show,said something so messed up in regard to this .

Karma will be a b**** about all of it,is all I can say .

I defended Floyd Landis until I was blue in the face. Then he admitted he was doping. As much as I like Lance, even grew up in the same area and shared some of the same aquaintences I'm not gonna say I think I know one way or the other. I do know what some of them say though.

You guys must not know that there was, and is, an apparent practice of taking illegal performance enhancing drugs and prior to testing, having a full blood transfusion to show up negative. This does not work with fat-soluble drugs.

I wish I could find the article on that, it was from one of his team mates, I think, who admitted the same practice.

I would like to read of such a practice. It seems rather extreme. Additionally it would not be something done easily or without leaving an evidence trail, I imagine. He was tested HUNDREDS of times. The assumption that he was doping and then the inability to prove it became an obsession with this governing group. I have no problem with them being thorough but it turned into a witch hunt. As to his former team mates - I have no idea why they would lie or if they did lie. But it is not impossible that they were compensated for doing so.

I love Lance, the guy is a true sporting great, unfortunately I fear the allegations may turn out to be true. Lance was cycling in the EPO era, when virtually every rider was taking PED's, if you look at the top 5 riders from each of his tour wins it's 4 drug cheats and Lance on top.

The Laboratoire national de dépistage du dopage de Châtenay-Malabry (LNDD) did find EPO in his samples taken from the '99 Tour de France back in 2006 when trialling the new EPO drug tests, but whether the tests were carried out properly has been in dispute ever since.

He worked with a certain Dr. Michele Ferrari as part of the US Postal Service Team up until 2004. Ferrari was banned for life by the USADA for helping numerous cyclists dope.

And let's not forget Marion Jones never failed a drugs test, she was only caught after having to admit under oath that she took PEDs during the BALCO scandal.

We'll learn more once Johan Bruyneel, US Postals director during the Lance era, takes the stand at the USADA for charges relating to the administration and trafficking of prohibited substances.

I hope the allegations are false, Lance is by definition an All-American hero for what he came through and it would just be horrible to see his reputation in tatters, if it isn't already.

Edited by Splodgenessabounds
  • Like 2

"The unidentified witnesses said they knew or had been told by Armstrong himself that he had “used EPO, blood transfusions, testosterone and cortisone” from before 1998 through 2005, and that he had previously used EPO, testosterone and Human Growth Hormone through 1996, USADA said. Armstrong also allegedly handed out doping products and encouraged banned methods — and even used “blood manipulation including EPO or blood transfusions” during his 2009 comeback race on the Tour.

In all, USADA said up to 10 former Armstrong teammates were set to testify against him. Included in the case were e-mails sent by Floyd Landis, who was stripped of the 2006 Tour de France title for doping, describing an elaborate doping program on Armstrong’s Postal Service teams, and Tyler Hamilton’s interview with “60 Minutes” claiming had personal knowledge of Armstrong doping.

Had Armstrong chosen to pursue arbitration, USADA said, all the evidence would have been available for him to challenge.

“He chose not to do this knowing these sanctions would immediately be put into place,” the statement said."

The man is a cheat and a fraud...

• Like 1

Yep, I'm afraid that doping in the cycling world was (is) rampant.

I saw a report on who would get the 'championship' if Lance's titles were pulled. Turns out almost every bike that finished 2, or 3rd in ALL the races were also linking heavily to doping.

Personally, I think he probably cheated. It would be harder to believe he didn't cheat on any of those races, while beating cyclists that did.

• Like 2

I think we should start embracing the horrors and have an all-doping league for every sport, a place where absolutely anything goes. When there is a ton of money and fame on the line then we'll see some great advances in medicine Plus it'd be a helluva show.

• Like 1

USADA: Up To 10 Former Lance Armstrong Teammates Were Set To Testify Against Him

They admit taking enhancements themselves with Armstrong (they also never failed a test). I don't like slander anymore then the next guy, but now we will never hear their testimony.

There will likely be books written by at least one of these teammates detailing what they know regarding Armstrong's use of performance enhancing drugs, etc.

These same people may also be called to testify in other trials relating to the matter in which Armstrong's name may come up.

I'm a supporter of anyone that has the strength and the will to battle cancer whether they overcome it or not. In knowing that he fought, and beat it, I personally don't care if he had or hadn't cheated when it comes to his cycling accomplishments.

That said, I'm not personally involved in the sport, nor do I follow it.

If I was one of the athletes who competed against him, and I did so without cheating, I would likely want to know the truth regarding this issue and I'd also likely be bothered if I came to the belief that the man accomplished the feats he had within the sport by way of performance enhancing drugs and / or other means of cheating.

People can claim it's a witch-hunt, but when 10 former teammates are willing to go on record stating they witnessed Armstrong use and / or discuss his use of performance enhancing drugs (or other methods of cheating) I tend to think otherwise.

I think we should start embracing the horrors and have an all-doping league for every sport, a place where absolutely anything goes. When there is a ton of money and fame on the line then we'll see some great advances in medicine Plus it'd be a helluva show.

Plus a lot of athletes would die or suffer severe physical ailments or debilitations due to health complications brought on by using performance enhancing drugs. They're not just banned because it's against the spirit of the sport.

Yep, I'm afraid that doping in the cycling world was (is) rampant.

It's getting better, the last two winners, Cadel Evans and Bradley Wiggins (Lord Wiggo to you!!!) are clean cyclists and the times set this year are much less than what they were when drug use was rampant. A long way still to go admittedly but cycling is getting a sense of respectability again.

Edited by Walter White
  • Like 1

Yeah, I know athletes will be harmed but this is both science and entertainment I think that far outweighs the negatives. (JK of course)

Besides who has better access to medical help than athletes? We'll just patch them up and get 'em back in the game.

Yeah, I know athletes will be harmed but this is both science and entertainment I think that far outweighs the negatives. (JK of course)

Besides who has better access to medical help than athletes? We'll just patch them up and get 'em back in the game.

:D

Forgive me, I went a bit holier-than-thou on you in my earlier comment.

I must concede, from a libertarian angle, there'd be a good argument for an all-doping league. The athletes are adults, if they're aware of the risks and accept them, why shouldn't they be allowed to compete against other doped up athletes?

Not for me though.

:)

:D

Forgive me, I went a bit holier-than-thou on you in my earlier comment.

I must concede, from a libertarian angle, there'd be a good argument for an all-doping league. The athletes are adults, if they're aware of the risks and accept them, why shouldn't they be allowed to compete against other doped up athletes?

Not for me though.

:)

It would not be a bad idea to have the Olympics, the special Olympics and the Frankenstein Olympics, in the latter Pfizer could compete against Sanofi and Bayer and .....

• Like 1