Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

were UFOs ever spotted before the 20th

ali smack

just wondering where there ever reports of UFOs before 20th century?

And Aliens

• Like 1

I'll tell you that UFO phenomena exploded shortly after WW2, i wonder if it is connected to german saucer craft designs and technologies... Yet there are pictures showing saucer shaped crafts before ww2, that is still abit of mystery..

People through out history have seen areal phenomenon they couldnt explain

• Like 1

One Example that says yes:

• Like 1

Only to those that support the ancient alien 'theory'. Problem with them is they tend to want to separate cash from those that might want to know or their faithful followers. Also you have to believe in a global multi- thousands of year conspiracies to hide the 'truth'.

Seeing as there is no irrefutably evidence for the current UFO's = aliens I would say it is wishful thinking or willful ignorance to say they were here in the past. JMO.

• Like 1

And Aliens

I think an issue is, who 'could' they report it too? A librarian records keeper? I mean lets imagine the scene, you're in a field sowing some veggies, you see something flash/glimmer zoom by, whatever - in the sky...and you think "hmmm, thats odd"...

But not having heard the term UFO or words like aliens before... what are you s'posed to think? The only thing that was probably seen often was shooting stars with the lack of light pollution, so you may just think its something like that

Nowadays we see odd lights and WE KNOW the terms UFO, flying saucer, aliens etc...but back then? So you go home to your family or have an ale at the inn, (subtle pun intended, ale-inn)....and if it was a sighting curious enough to make you tell others.... they may just shrug at your 'lamp in the sky' description and be totally un-interested You see today we, well lots of folk anyway, would somewhat automatically think something strange in the skies is a ufo...based on current understanding....but back then?

Anyway yes there have been reports in history... see following link and pick some links for yourself

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...re 20th century

Edited by seeder

Only to those that support the ancient alien 'theory'.

You should start a thread on that.

Noooooooo!! Enough already!! :no::w00t:

probably weird sights were attributed to spirits, gods and fairies. Fairies were also known to abduct people, especially infants and women.

• Like 3

Undoubtedly they were; one that's fairly well known is the "Mystery Airships" of the late 19th c. It's only really since the 1940s that the idea that lights and shiny objects in the Skies might be craft from other Planets has taken root in the popular imagination; before that they were thought of as either aircraft or airships, and before that, they'd have been thought of as religious visions, heavenly hosts, fiery chariots and so on. They've always been about, it's just the way that people have thought of them that's changed, I would say.

• Like 2

Only to those that support the ancient alien 'theory'. Problem with them is they tend to want to separate cash from those that might want to know or their faithful followers. Also you have to believe in a global multi- thousands of year conspiracies to hide the 'truth'.

Seeing as there is no irrefutably evidence for the current UFO's = aliens I would say it is wishful thinking or willful ignorance to say they were here in the past. JMO.

i'm afraid that doesn't seem very logical; what you seem to be doing is equating UFOs with Extraterrestrial spacecraft yourself to draw that conclusion. It might be Wishful thiking or wilful ingorance (and what a favourite phrase of the skeptickal fraternity that is) to assume that extraterrestrial spacecraft were seen in the skies back in the olden days, but to assume that there were no sightings of unexplained objects (which we would nwo call UFOs) really seems a bit of a leap to a conclusion that you've decided on in advance, I'm afraid to say.

[media=]

[/media]

What a crock.

• Like 1

[media=]

[/media]

*face palm* as soon as I saw the title of this thread I knew stuff like this would come up..

the short answer is ali.. no.. there is a long answer for no as well.. but I am checking this before I head to work :D so I dont have the time.. forget the whole ufo's in art.. hieroglyphics etc..

• Like 1

People have looked to the sky and scratched their heads for centuries. Thanks to scientific research, most of those "sightings" can be explained as natural weather phenomenon (ie: Ball Lightening, etc)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

IN the bible they were called angels or cherubim, but I think they were describing their vehicles,probes, or whatever.Why would angels need wheels?

And Aliens

LOL JUST GOOGLE IT

• Like 1

i'm afraid that doesn't seem very logical; what you seem to be doing is equating UFOs with Extraterrestrial spacecraft yourself to draw that conclusion. It might be Wishful thiking or wilful ingorance (and what a favourite phrase of the skeptickal fraternity that is) to assume that extraterrestrial spacecraft were seen in the skies back in the olden days, but to assume that there were no sightings of unexplained objects (which we would nwo call UFOs) really seems a bit of a leap to a conclusion that you've decided on in advance, I'm afraid to say.

Not my intention at all. Of course there were sightings of UFO's. I jumped the gun. Many, however, consider both the same. Hell without my glasses I see UFO's everyday :)

Check out the wave of "airship" sightings from 1896 and 1897.

People were reporting what sounds very much like the Goodyear Blimp flying all around the country. I guess the flying saucer models hadn't hit the alien dealerships yet.

What could that have been I mean that was during the 1800s

Alexander the great reported two flying "shields" on the eve of battle, which he took to be a good omen. His armies shields were round and dome shaped, much like the classic ufo shape of today.

Imagination.

People were familiar with balloons and were anticipating some kind of commercialization of them by clever inventors. The airships sounded completely plausible so people came up with stories and the newspapers printed them. Remember how many people claimed to have seen Ed Walter's model flying around Gulf Breeze?

The possibility of aliens from Mars visiting Earth was definitely in the minds of many educated people at the time. War of the Worlds was published a year after the airship wave.

• Like 1

This is exactly the thing that I've always found interesting; UFO sightings often seem to be just a few steps ahead of what the technology of the time is actually capable of. The first practical airship didn't get off the ground until the 1880s at the earliest, and they were very primtive and nowhere near capable of the kind of performance or endurance that were reported in these sightings. And, of course, no confirmation has ever been found that any of these suppsoed "inventors" ever actually existed, or if they did that they ever actually constructed anything practical. Then through the 20th c. you get reports of Aircraft that had much longer endurance or much better performance than anything there was at the time, then after WWII you had the "Ghost rockets", and then your Saucers came along. All of them one or two steps ahead of what technology was actually capable of at the time. What can this mean, I wonder?
  • Like 1

This is exactly the thing that I've always found interesting; UFO sightings often seem to be just a few steps ahead of what the technology of the time is actually capable of.

And sometimes not even a single step ahead. Reports of interiors of spaceships from the 50's and 60's did not include any graphic displays or advanced user interfaces which people who live in the futuristic year of 2013 would be familiar with. They only had levers, dials and gauges which people were familiar with at the time. Betty Hill even described books of flat star maps which are not very useful when flying around in three dimensional space.

This is exactly the thing that I've always found interesting; UFO sightings often seem to be just a few steps ahead of what the technology of the time is actually capable of. The first practical airship didn't get off the ground until the 1880s at the earliest, and they were very primtive and nowhere near capable of the kind of performance or endurance that were reported in these sightings. And, of course, no confirmation has ever been found that any of these suppsoed "inventors" ever actually existed, or if they did that they ever actually constructed anything practical. Then through the 20th c. you get reports of Aircraft that had much longer endurance or much better performance than anything there was at the time, then after WWII you had the "Ghost rockets", and then your Saucers came along. All of them one or two steps ahead of what technology was actually capable of at the time. What can this mean, I wonder?

It is interesting the whole WWII thing, didnt Wernher von Braun claim that they had help with there weapons, and there weapons were way ahead of the United States at the time.

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x