Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The TAPS Flashlight Test

Rock-Star

A number of times while watching Ghost Hunters, I have seen the team perform a test where they lay down two or three flashlights, and then ask the "spirits" to turn them on or off in response to certain questions. Invariably they get the lights to turn on. This was the focal point of the evidence review from the 6 hour live snore-fest they aired on Halloween night. Just wondering if anyone has any theories as to how they pull this off. I've noticed before they set the flashlights down, they always appear to be loosening the top , then they set them down very gently. I'd be interested to hear any ideas!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sakari

• Rock-Star

• vitruvian12

• _Only

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A number of times while watching Ghost Hunters, I have seen the team perform a test where they lay down two or three flashlights, and then ask the "spirits" to turn them on or off in response to certain questions. Invariably they get the lights to turn on. This was the focal point of the evidence review from the 6 hour live snore-fest they aired on Halloween night. Just wondering if anyone has any theories as to how they pull this off. I've noticed before they set the flashlights down, they always appear to be loosening the top , then they set them down very gently. I'd be interested to hear any ideas!

Two words: Clever. Editing.

I have actually done this at Fort Mifflin during a live investigation. Its simple actually, you turn the flashlight on (it has to be one of those flashlights that only turn on if you turn the bottom or top, itll never work if its a push button flashlight) and unscrew it just a little bit so its teetering on battery power. The loose connection will cause it to turn on and off. So while this is happening you ask questions something easy, If there is a spirit here, please turn on the light you can wait 10 minutes as long as it happens, it was the spirit trying to manifest enough energy to turn it on. In reality its staggering to hold a connection.

Edited by The Paranormal Skeptic

I have actually done this at Fort Mifflin during a live investigation. It’s simple actually, you turn the flashlight on (it has to be one of those flashlights that only turn on if you turn the bottom or top, it’ll never work if it’s a push button flashlight) and unscrew it just a little bit so its teetering on battery power. The loose connection will cause it to turn on and off. So while this is happening you ask questions something easy, “If there is a spirit here, please turn on the light” you can wait 10 minutes as long as it happens, it was the spirit trying to manifest enough energy to turn it on. In reality its staggering to holding a connection.

I had a feeling it had something to do with loosening it up. Always thought that was odd. Thanks for a great reply-you solved that one easily enough! :tu:

Why is that a test anyway? I thought the usual way was with knocks. Besides, when you think about it, why would the spirit there, if there is one, feel obligated to respond to our requests anyway?

Why is that a test anyway? I thought the usual way was with knocks. Besides, when you think about it, why would the spirit there, if there is one, feel obligated to respond to our requests anyway?

Two words: Better. Ratings.

Formatting shamelessly stolen from Mike G. :tu:

It may go on and off by itself, but at the same time it makes it easier for ghosts to turn it on and off. You need three things for ghosts to do it well. You need a night that is warm so they can manifest well, you need a power source, and you need something that will activate at a very very light touch.

There are many ways to enhance this and remove any false positives. If you had a battery, two wires, a lightbulb, and a contact sheet for the on off circuit you could really prove something. If you made the on off switch out of gold leif foil it would be even easier. Ghosts are better able to manipulate gold. I say that from years of dealing with poltergeists and other hauntings. If you wear a gold necklace it will often get pulled on were other objects will not. Plastic similar to the stuff you find in plastic water bottles also works well.

You would need to eilimate the teeter in between the lose cap on the flashlight being a cause of turning it on. If you eliminate that, you have some real evidence. It would have to be so light a touch that you have trouble sitting it on the ground without it turning on, because the majority of ghost touches are so light that you can only feel them like a puff of air on your skin.

Edited by cpjason

Two words: Better. Ratings.

Formatting shamelessly stolen from Mike G. :tu:

LOL

:lol::lol::lol:One has to admire the folks on TAPS, for acting stupid and being sooo convincing. Nothing over the years has amazed me, as far as what Jason, Grant, and company will do or how "smart" acting "stupid" really looks. As for staff, tight jeans appears to still be part of the dress code for the female staff.Less of Jason, Grant, men, in general :yes::yes: , and more female staff, :yes: with fewer clothing :o . Now that WILL up the ratings, which it seems they need it at times. :tu:

It may go on and off by itself, but at the same time it makes it easier for ghosts to turn it on and off. You need three things for ghosts to do it well. You need a night that is warm so they can manifest well, you need a power source, and you need something that will activate at a very very light touch.

There are many ways to enhance this and remove any false positives. If you had a battery, two wires, a lightbulb, and a contact sheet for the on off circuit you could really prove something. If you made the on off switch out of gold leif foil it would be even easier. Ghosts are better able to manipulate gold. I say that from years of dealing with poltergeists and other hauntings. If you wear a gold necklace it will often get pulled on were other objects will not. Plastic similar to the stuff you find in plastic water bottles also works well.

You would need to eilimate the teeter in between the lose cap on the flashlight being a cause of turning it on. If you eliminate that, you have some real evidence. It would have to be so light a touch that you have trouble sitting it on the ground without it turning on, because the majority of ghost touches are so light that you can only feel them like a puff of air on your skin.

Is this a joke? If not, I just have to say it always amazes me when paranormal investigators, who are out in the field trying to find the elusive proof that ghosts even exist, yet at the same time seem to have an amazing number of "ghost facts" at their disposal. It is contradictory.

Yet , they can ( supposedly ) slam doors , move chairs , throw dishes , etc....

It makes it easier for a car not to start if the cable on the terminal is not tight....

The gold thing........( silver is the most conductive metal by the way )

This is like someone saying if you drop a bowling ball and a golf ball from a building , the bowling ball will fall faster and hit first....

Makes no sense , if something can physically pull a object , it would not matter if that object were made of string , lead , silver , bronze , pearls , or Gold.....It would take the same physical strength to pull any of these things , if they were of comparable size.

Edited by Sakari

I just don't understand this. If a ghost is able to throw things across a room, knock on walls, touch people, why can't they operate a flashlight that isn't manipulated? Of all the debate I've read about the "Flashlight Test", this is the concept that has me scratching my head the most. I don't think I can buy the 'make it easier so they respond' argument, because, like I said, ghosts apparently respond in all sorts of ways when an environment isn't manipulated (client claims for example--and this is all hypothetical). Also, ghosts can manipulte gold? Really? That is the first time I've heard that, and I'd be curious to read the research done on that.

Yes, if a ghost has all these capabilities, why would one have to make it easier for them to turn on the flashlight? It would seem that it would take much more energy to physically touch a person or pull a necklace, knock on walls etc. Of course, I will allow the possibility that you made this post tongue-in-cheek!

I've seen an overcomplicated version of this pulled off by running two wires into the flashlight (between the two AA batteries). At the other end, you can connect/ disconnect the wires to complete the circuit. I personally believe that the other method is explanation as far as TAPS is concerned. As for why they do it, I think it's because it's visually striking and simple to pull off. Who ever comes up with "stunts" for that show is lazy.

I've seen an overcomplicated version of this pulled off by running two wires into the flashlight (between the two AA batteries). At the other end, you can connect/ disconnect the wires to complete the circuit. I personally believe that the other method is explanation as far as TAPS is concerned. As for why they do it, I think it's because it's visually striking and simple to pull off. Who ever comes up with "stunts" for that show is lazy.

That is seriously lame. It is one thing to misinterpret eveidence as something it is not. I can see that happening as they are going in with preconceived notions. Making up fake evidence is, however, unacceptable in my opinion. Have the guts to say you didn't find anything! For an example, on an episode of Paranormal State I watched recently, Ryan concluded the show by stating "We found no evidence of anything that could be considered paranormal during this investigation". The show was boring to be sure, but at least he was honest!

That is seriously lame. It is one thing to misinterpret eveidence as something it is not. I can see that happening as they are going in with preconceived notions. Making up fake evidence is, however, unacceptable in my opinion. Have the guts to say you didn't find anything! For an example, on an episode of Paranormal State I watched recently, Ryan concluded the show by stating "We found no evidence of anything that could be considered paranormal during this investigation". The show was boring to be sure, but at least he was honest!

I remember Ghost Hunters used to do that once in a while. There was even an episode where a client allegedly tried to hoax them. I think they just threw those in there to try to boost their credibility, however.

I have been doing paranormal research for over twenty years, mostly a solitary pursuit but at times with a group. I have very ambivalent feelings about the "para" shows. First of all, why do they always investigate at night? I understand about outside interferance being less, presumably, at night, yet, most hauntings I have experienced and those I have investigated, occured during the day.

When I started in this field it was because I had experienced some psychic phenomenon and wanted to explore that aspect of myself and the world at large. At that time is was the norm for investigative groups to use a psychic or sensitive during an investigation. Then it became all about "the science" which really means applying diverse theories to the incidents in order to use some neat little electronic gizmos. Now, the pendulum has swung around and the modern investigators are doing the same kind of parlor tricks that the "fake" mediums of earlier times used. Not only that, but they are using the same script. As a friend once asked me, "Am I amused, or bemused?"

Edited by jaguarsky

I remember Ghost Hunters used to do that once in a while. There was even an episode where a client allegedly tried to hoax them. I think they just threw those in there to try to boost their credibility, however.

That episode was a joke also......The place they went to , and that is being accused of trying to trick them ( things set up , chandeliers that swing , faces in mirrors,etc.) that place has been on several news shows , and Entertainment Tonight , etc. about the things in there that are made to look haunted.All of this was on well before the Ghost Hunters show went there.I new right away about that place when I saw the previews for that episode....Shows even more they either do not investigate a place prior ( a phone call , internet search , would have shown them about this place ) or they know , and want ratings.....You know as well as I do , they gave that place more free advertising , if they were so upset , they would not have aired the episode.

I have been doing paranormal research for over twenty years, mostly a solitary pursuit but at times with a group. I have very ambivalent feelings about the "para" shows. First of all, why do they always investigate at night? I understand about outside interferance being less, presumably, at night, yet, most hauntings I have experienced and those I have investigated, occured during the day.

When I started in this field it was because I had experienced some psychic phenomenon and wanted to explore that aspect of myself and the world at large. At that time is was the norm for investigative groups to use a psychic or sensitive during an investigation. Then it became all about "the science" which really means applying diverse theories to the incidents in order to use some neat little electronic gizmos. Now, the pendulum has swung around and the modern investigators are doing the same kind of parlor tricks that the "fake" mediums of earlier times used. Not only that, but they are using the same script. As a friend once asked me, "Am I amused, or bemused?"

I have a topic somewhere buried here on that.....It has all ways driven me nuts....99% of the time on these shows , the witnesses have claims during the day of activity , or with lights on.Mainly seems during the day time " I was working and....." , " during the tour we saw......" , etc....Seems if one is investigating a occurence , the best way to witness it , and investigate it would be at the same time of day / night that the occurence happens?.......If my buddies tell me they saw a huge buck at 6:30 AM on Dewert Hill , I sure the hell would not go look for that buck at 6:30 PM......

I think they just threw those in there to try to boost their credibility, however.

Yes, I would have to agree. Being a TV show, I would not rule out them doing anything to boost credibility and ratings.

Seems if one is investigating a occurence , the best way to witness it , and investigate it would be at the same time of day / night that the occurence happens?.......If my buddies tell me they saw a huge buck at 6:30 AM on Dewert Hill , I sure the hell would not go look for that buck at 6:30 PM......

Yeah, this aspect of these programs always puzzles me too. No one ever tells the investigative teams that they had their experiences walking around in the pitch black with night vision and thermal cameras! I suppose it is just for that "creepy" factor for the TV shows. Being that not much is ever found, all the factors (music, lighting, editing, etc.) have to be just right in order to make the programs at least interesting to watch.

Because, you know, a 500 year old ghost would most definitely know how to operate a flashlight.

Or understand and speak English in a German castle blush.gif

The problem with this night thing is that most people who claim to see ghosts are either in the day or with the lights on. To me the turning off of lights and using infra red is just one way of creating intrigue and ambiance. To me turning off the lights hides trick wires and mirrors etc.