Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Turin Shroud's enduring mystery

Waspie_Dwarf

As the Turin Shroud is brought out for public viewing again, the BBC's Duncan Kennedy looks at its enduring power to fascinate.

If it was an episode of CSI - Miami, New York or Las Vegas - it would all be solved within a television hour, which, if you strip out the adverts, is about 53 minutes.

The face, the body, the appearance of blood stains, all the clues are there.

And yet, not with the passage of hundreds of years and dozens of inquiries has the mystery of the Turin Shroud been solved to everyone's satisfaction.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hypotenuse

• voiceofreason

• J.B.

• Shaftsbury

a television hour, which, if you strip out the adverts, is about 53 minutes.

i hate to bring it up when it's not related to the topic but it's not 53 minutes, more like 40-43/44.

It's a fake and the pope knows it, thats why they insisted on a small corner section for testing, well contaminated section giving confused readings. I wonder when they will let it be carbon dated again with a section from the face say?

It's a fake and the pope knows it, thats why they insisted on a small corner section for testing, well contaminated section giving confused readings. I wonder when they will let it be carbon dated again with a section from the face say?

Never, they have everything to lose and nothing to gain from knowing the actual date of the shroud.

It's not a fake they found AB- Jewish blood on it

It's not a fake they found AB- Jewish blood on it

Source?

Nibs

The blood on the Shroud is real, human male blood of the type AB (typed by Dr. Baima Ballone in Turin and confirmed in the U.S.).

Tourin Shroud

Sorry Ashley but that site is about as scientifically reliable as an episode of Transformers.

1. How do we know Jesus was AB-?

2. Where was evidence provided that the stains are from 2000 years ago?

Nibs

1. How do we know Jesus was AB-?

2. Where was evidence provided that the stains are from 2000 years ago?

Nibs

Also, blood type AB is not indicative of being middle eastern, 18% of Japanese are AB were as 5% of Jews in Germany and 8% in Poland and 6% of Arabs are AB. Compare that with 10% of Koreans and 13% of Tartars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type

AB- blood is common among Jewish people

Really?

It appears to be far more common among the Japanese.

Jews most common is "A".

Nibs

AB- blood is common among Jewish people

Not really, it is most common in the far east.

The shroud was found nowhere near the far east or Japan

I think the guy on it looks too "Northern European". Even his height. I think it is a Middle Age fake or some Frankish knight that was actually crucified like Christ during the early Crusades.

Lapiche

If you were wrapped in a shroud....and your head transferred an image onto the shroud, it would show your forehead, cheekbones, tip of nose, chin, your ears and the back of your head. It wouldn't look like a portrait. Unless it was done by Picasso.

I am very pleased with the results of the "Real face of Jesus". I also have no issue with taking a sample for dating from the center section of the cloth.

To blatantly call it a fake shows as little awareness of the shroud as to call it 100% authentic. IMO more investigation is in order.

I am very pleased with the results of the "Real face of Jesus". I also have no issue with taking a sample for dating from the center section of the cloth.

To blatantly call it a fake shows as little awareness of the shroud as to call it 100% authentic. IMO more investigation is in order.

I certainly agree, but as I said above, what incentive does the church have in further investigation? They everything to loose and nothing to gain. As it is the Shroud is already a powerful religious artifact, reconfirming that through science doesn't offer it that much more, while showing it to not be the case causes the loss of an important religious artifact.

i think a ultra violet negative of the original oh yea

NO ONE knows where its from personal that colored yarn if you sow it in any patter it will make shapes and faces trust me ive tried

I think the guy on it looks too "Northern European". Even his height. I think it is a Middle Age fake or some Frankish knight that was actually crucified like Christ during the early Crusades.

Lapiche

thats sounds about right but, take his blood and run it through the governments database if they cant find a blood line its jesus

I think the problem is that if scientists were take more samples of the shroud, say the area of the feet or hands as an example, one runs the risk of ruining the image,which noone wants to do. Colin Wilson in his book on the shroud has some images of the shroud.these were copies of the shroud, and it is easy to see the images are somehow different.They look like a painting. I think the shroud is something very unique.Whether the true burial cloth of Jesus, or someone else,it's hard to say. Also their is the Holy Face of manepello in italy which is also very interesting.

And you have the Holy Cloth of oviedo in Spain.it too is blood stained. it has been there for centuries and is too associated with Christ.

Its is a cool thing to think about, but it shouldn't change a person faith if its a fake. God will never let there be proof of him, we're called to have faith.

Its is a cool thing to think about, but it shouldn't change a person faith if its a fake. God will never let there be proof of him, we're called to have faith.

While I agree with you, I don't think the Church who controls the shroud is willing to take that bet :P

As I recall, it was originally presented by a Bishop.

Who presented the shroud while ringig a bell stating the shroud was a fake.