Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Aliens...Yes again

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,121 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

View PostIBelieveWhatIWant, on 06 February 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

I truly believe that we are limiting ourselves for the possibility of finding life by only looking for similar planets to Earth when for all we know Venus could house life. Just because there is sulfuric acid for clouds and lava as oceans on Venus doesn't mean life couldn't survive there, just not life with our make-up.

The scientists are not really limiting themselves, IBWIW. just look at this Wiki about Titan:

Although all living things on Earth (including methanogens) use liquid water as a solvent, it is speculated that life on Titan might instead use a liquid hydrocarbon, such as methane or ethane. Water is a stronger solvent than methane. However, water is also more chemically reactive, and can break down large organic molecules through hydrolysis. A life-form whose solvent was a hydrocarbon would not face the risk of its biomolecules being destroyed in this way.

http://en.wikipedia....search_for_life

Edited by Abramelin, 07 February 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#47    IBelieveWhatIWant

IBelieveWhatIWant

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 07 February 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

The scientists are not really limiting themselves, IBWIW. just look at this Wiki about Titan:

Although all living things on Earth (including methanogens) use liquid water as a solvent, it is speculated that life on Titan might instead use a liquid hydrocarbon, such as methane or ethane. Water is a stronger solvent than methane. However, water is also more chemically reactive, and can break down large organic molecules through hydrolysis. A life-form whose solvent was a hydrocarbon would not face the risk of its biomolecules being destroyed in this way.

http://en.wikipedia....search_for_life

Yes, astronomers and FINALLY looking for life outside of the "norm" so to speak. Which is brilliant. But the whole point of this post was for people who say there is no other life out there at all other than us, this was to show that it is extremely likely that there is but like freetoroam said, Most people will never get it. I'm just hoping to make it more aware to people who don't believe.

#48    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 33,978 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostIBelieveWhatIWant, on 07 February 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

Yes, astronomers and FINALLY looking for life outside of the "norm" so to speak. Which is brilliant. But the whole point of this post was for people who say there is no other life out there at all other than us, this was to show that it is extremely likely that there is but like freetoroam said, Most people will never get it. I'm just hoping to make it more aware to people who don't believe.

We have been looking at the possibilities for centuries, it is mostly that carbon is just better, and more flexible, and thusly more likely.

Early speculation
In 1891, the German astrophysicist Julius Scheiner became perhaps the first person to speculate on the suitability of silicon as a basis for life. This idea was taken up by the British chemist James Emerson Reynolds who, in 1893, in his opening address to the British Association for the Advancement of Science,1 pointed out that the heat stability of silicon compounds might allow life to exist at very high temperatures (see thermophiles). In an 1894 article,2 drawing on Reynolds's ideas and also those of Robert Ball,3 H. G. Wells wrote:
One is startled towards fantastic imaginings by such a suggestion: visions of silicon-aluminium organisms – why not silicon-aluminium men at once? – wandering through an atmosphere of gaseous sulphur, let us say, by the shores of a sea of liquid iron some thousand degrees or so above the temperature of a blast furnace.
Thirty years later, J. B. S. Haldane suggested that life might be found deep inside a planet based on partly molten silicates, the oxidation of iron perhaps providing it with energy.

LINK

Max Bernstein — It’s important for us to keep an open mind about alien life, lest we come across it and miss it. On the other hand, carbon is much better than any other element in forming the main structures of living things.  Carbon can form many stable complex structures of great diversity. When carbon forms molecules containing cxygen and nitrogen, the carbon bonds to nitrogen and oxygen are stable.  But not so much so that they can’t be fairly easily undone, unlike silicon-oxygen bonds, for example.

LINK - Why Silicon-based Aliens Would Rather Eat our Cities than Us: Thoughts on Non-carbon Astrobiology

I do not know of anyone that says "There is no more life" I have heard people say Life is Rare, or Intelligent Lie is Rare, or even, we have no proof that anything else exists, and that is a correct statement, but I do not know of anyone here who outright says, no way. Other Life does not exist.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#49    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

I think you will find that 99% of us skeptics (skeptics about aliens visiting the earth) believe there is life out there in the universe :) I would be very suprised if someone tried to debunk it.. because you would have us skeptics digging into them..

I mean look at it.. there is at a rough guess 100 billion galaxies each with 100 million stars.. the chance of there not being any other life out there is almost infinitely impossible.. considering now how many planets we are finding in the goldielock zone without our to be honest limited technology..

Is there alien life out there.. yes.. in what shape or form.. intelligent or rudimentary intelligence .. now that is the question we should be asking..

what if we are the most advanced life in the universe.. that is a good possibility

#50    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• 1,114 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 07 February 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

but I do not know of anyone here who outright says, no way. Other Life does not exist.

sadly I do.. gotta love the deeply serious religious .. :hmm:

#51    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

View PostIBelieveWhatIWant, on 06 February 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

So with points like these with scientific backing. Also I dont mean in the responding comments because good points usually get buried so quick in these types of threads unless they are the first post or something people are always responding to

You think because you named some statistics and numbers that your post is scientific and completely different from all the other posts that say exactly the same thing?
lmao...

Man, some ppl are so oblivious they have to repeat the same thing over and over again because they just don't understand the numerous responses already given to the same arguments.
Maybe re-read ... this entire Alien section. There's no point in endlessly repeating others and thinking you are somehow superior.
Posted Image

#52    IBelieveWhatIWant

IBelieveWhatIWant

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

View PostDingoLingo, on 07 February 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

sadly I do.. gotta love the deeply serious religious .. :hmm:

I find that funny as well, seeing as how even the Pope is now considering alien life. Just to re work it so aliens are also supposedly in the image of God as well.

#53    IBelieveWhatIWant

IBelieveWhatIWant

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

View PostRender, on 07 February 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

You think because you named some statistics and numbers that your post is scientific and completely different from all the other posts that say exactly the same thing?
lmao...

Man, some ppl are so oblivious they have to repeat the same thing over and over again because they just don't understand the numerous responses already given to the same arguments.
Maybe re-read ... this entire Alien section. There's no point in endlessly repeating others and thinking you are somehow superior.
Posted Image

When did i say I thought i was superior?
I looked at the topics that were based around my opinions, saw that no one had stated what I did, so thought I would post it up.
But like I said in my original post, I could have missed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users