Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

kreestar

Tim Burton will be directing a remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.It is due in theaters July 15, 2005, with Johnny Depp as Mr. Wonka himself. wub.gif A full cast list and other information on the movie can be foundHere!

As a huge Tim Burton fan, I am dying to see this movie. I'm wondering if they will make this into a musical, but it doesn't say for sure on the website. It does say that the screenwriter stayed more faithful to Ronald Dahl's novel. I'm very excited. grin2.gifgrin2.gifgrin2.gif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• Janiel

• TheCrow

• girty1600

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We've seen a few times that when Depp and Burton get together, wonderful things happen. This movie is going to be fantastic.

sounds like its gonna be great. Depp is a great actor and Tim Burton's movies are always good.

That being said, both Dahl and Burton have a tendecy to shy away from the light and airy colorful musical. Both combined, I sincerely doubt we are going to have a movie anywhere near the likes of the original. I suspect it might not be suitable for certain ages.

ESPECIALLY with Depp.

However they'll have to be careful with it, it's a classic story afterall.

[edit] Agreed Aquatus, i'm picturing a movie here long the likes of the McFarland toys. Dark and disturbing.

Edited by BurnSide

Not to nitpick but I wouldn't call it a remake... It's just another version of a story. Another persons telling of it.

I heard it was going to be more faithful to the book and more 'darker' than the original film whcih was toned down and all that for kids. And while I like the original a lot, I am looking forward to this version a lot, especially with Burton directing and Depp as Mr. Wonka... It should be great

Edited by TheCrow

I heard it was going to be more faithful to the book and more 'darker' than the original film

276169[/snapback]

oh, sounds great, depp and burton mix very well.

i think this would be an awsome movie

One of my fav books (made by one of my fav authors), directed by one of my fav directors and with one of my favorite actors.... Man, you made my day.

I'm also waiting to see The Chronicles of Narnia. Wanna see if Aslan is as cool as in the books... I hope so

"Who are you???"

"Im Wonka..." - Wonka then jumps off rooftop

Johnny Depp.. as Willy Wonka himself...?? huh.gif

Wow.. that will be great... thumbsup.gif I will definitely be looking forward to seeing it!

Ain't-It-Cool-News reports that composer Danny Elfman mentioned on the Forbidden Zone DVD that, on top of scoring, he'll sing for Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as well.

"I'm singing all of the Oompa Loompa songs in 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," he says. "I'll be doing the voices of the Oompa Loompas."

Elfman previously sang for Jack Skellington in the Burton-produced The Nightmare Before Christmas. Warner Bros. Pictures will release the new adaptation, starring Johnny Depp, on July 15.

Source

So the oompa lumpas are going to be animated? What's the deal with that?

• 1 month later...

Teaser poster revealed!

user posted image

Looks like it's going to be quite eerie.

Edited by colorless

colorless - where did u get that teaser poster from?

He probably got it from one of the many movie news sites like Aint It Cool but they in turn probably get them when they get released on Tim Burtons site or the Official CATCF site or something.

There's 3 other Roald Dahl books I'd like to see be adapted into movies.

Fantastic Mr. Fox but I'm happy as Larry because it's already about to go into production for 2006 written and directed by Wes Anderson (Rushmore, Royal Tennenbaums, The Life Aqautic). I don't know if it will be tradtional animation or CGI though. No talent is attached to voice it yet but I think they should get British TV star Richard Briers (The Good Life) for Mr. Fox.

The Enormous Crocodile Stop motion by Tim Burton. Would be good.

The Twits A great book. Would make a great movie. I think it should be directed by Tim Burton with Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter as The Twits.

The word on 'the street' is that there will be a teaser released with either Lemony Snicket or Polar Express.

Just imagine what the marketing will be like for movie... I can see them doing something similar to the 5 Golden Tickets thing like you could win a free cinema ticket from certain Wonka bars.

A Wonka Bar

user posted image

An Oompa Loompa

user posted image

Augustus Gloop

user posted image

Veruca Salt

user posted image

Violet

user posted image

Willy Wonka

user posted image

Inside of the Boat

user posted image

Outside of the Factory

user posted image

The Loading Docks

user posted image

The Wonka Van

user posted image

And a bit of old news but it's the first time I've seen it so thought I'd pass it on incase no-one else has.

"John August, the screenwriter of BIG FISH, recently turned in his draft of Tim Burton's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY and he revealed that he hadn't seen the '70s version, WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY and when Burton asked him to do the screenplay for CHARLIE, he said, "Shouldn't I see the '70s film before I start?" Burton responded, "Definitely not!" He wanted August to write his version of the original book without the influence of WILLY WONKA.

So, August didn't see WILLY WONKA until he turned in his draft and said he was surprised because his script was considerably "Less Dark" than the '70s film. I guess it took him off guard because the novel is so dark as is Burton's sensibilities."