Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

T4

Subtemperate

The Terminator movies will be back next year, but will California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger reprise the movie role that made him a superstar?

Warner Bros studios had given the green light for Terminator 4 to begin production next year, despite doubts that the movie star turned politician would be free to take on more enemies, Daily Variety reported.

After a year in development, the latest film in the hit movie franchise would return under the direction of Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines director Jonathan Mostow, the industry daily said.

Studio bosses had held talks with the Austrian-born governor of the state over his availability for the film, the daily said.

''Discussions have already occurred for him to return for an encore, but the likelihood is that it would be in a limited role,'' Variety said, adding that the film would likely star a new model of killer cyborg to replace the man now dubbed the ''Govern-ator''.

Schwarzenegger made his last major screen appearance in T-3, which was released last year shortly before he was elected Republican governor of the most populous US state in a landslide election in October.

But when the former Mr Universe bodybuilding champion announced he was running for office, he promised to give up his lucrative movie career to focus on California's dire financial problems.

Schwarzenegger was paid a record-breaking $US30 million ($A42.18 million) for his role in the movie that cost $US175 million ($A246.05 million) to make and raked in around $US430 million ($A604.57 million) worldwide in ticket sales.

T-4 is not expected to cost as much to produce as its last predecessor given the advances in computer generated imagery that reduce the need for elaborate special effects.

Dennis Higgins, a spokesman for the film's financing partner Intermedia told Reuters: ''We're certainly talking to Arnold and his people.

''He obviously has a day job that he has to take into consideration. But we're talking to him.''

A source close to the production acknowledged that it was unlikely that Schwarzenegger would be available to star, but said producers hoped that he could play a ''minor role''.

Schwarzenegger's personal financial adviser Paul Wachter said: ''It is not even on our radar screen ... Arnold is signing bills.''

He did not rule a possible cameo appearance but added: ''Is it realistic that while he is in office, he takes a starring role? Hardly.''

Schwarzenegger, who assumed office as governor in November, has said he would put his Hollywood career on hold while in office and focus on the business of the state.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subtemperate

• Talon

• BurnSide

• mr_halo

Too late my friend...its confirmed to be made next year.... sad.gif

Edited by Subtemperate

I actually liked T3... Ok so it didn't really do anything for the series but it had some decent action... It wouldn't be in my list of fave movies but I still like it. I even own the DVD!

What they need to do is get James Cameron back and end the human/machine war... Set it years after John Connor is dead with his son or grandson or something and end the war...

There's talk/rumours that Arnie wants The Rock to take over from him... Now I wouldn't have a problem with that... I think he's a cool guy and while he isn't the best actor ever, I think he's alright, definately a good action star... He just needs to find the right movie to show what he can really do... oh, and drop The Rock and go by his real name.

Anyway, I would much rather see The Rock as a Terminator (robot) villain than a Terminator good guy because I think it would be better suited to him and he could do it really well...

*sigh*...why do they continue a series that should have ended with T3. it was a good movie, but it summed up the story! or at least it should have. i agree with the Crow that the Rock should play the Terminator. hes a great action star, especially in The Rundown which kicked so much ass. anyways T4 better be good, with A LOT of action

Ive mixed feelings about that...

Ah dammit long live T2!!! Making another one is just greedy and won't do anything for the franchise...

Let it die in peace.....

this is the latest news from movies.com:

09/24/04

Here is the latest on Terminator 4: First off, it's gonna happen. In fact, shooting should begin in November 2005. Secondly, John Brancato and Michael Ferris have completed a draft of a script developed under the supervision of T3 director Jonathan Mostow. Intermedia will open formal negotiations soon that will ensure Mostow's return for the fourth film in the series. Arnold Schwarzenegger is a question mark. He's still, of course, the governor of California, but he may return for a small role, with a new actor taking over the lead role. Claire Danes and Nick Stahl are not confirmed yet. (Variety)

and heres the potnetial cast list:

Starring Nick Stahl (unconfirmed), Claire Danes (unconfirmed), Dwaye "The Rock" Johnson (rumored), Linda Hamilton (rumored), Arnold Schwarzenegger (rumored for small role)

it also says the release date should be sometime during 2006.

I love The Terminator movies.

T3 was ok.

I like closure in a movie series. So the human machine was better end. I dont wanna have to wait for a T5 for the finale.

I hope we can get another glimpse of Kristinna Loken, ppprrrawr wub.gif

oh, and drop The Rock and go by his real name.

That, I disagree with....which would you buy? A movie with "The Rock", an internationally famous, established name? Or "Dwayne Johnson"...who sounds like the guy who mows your lawn tongue.gif

It's more than a maketing tactic though..I think he also keeps the name as a means of helping to support the WWE in some small way..but anyway...

I've never actually seen Terminator 3...but everyone I know who has said it was pretty dire. Most sci-fi sequals (or prequals, if you take my meaning tongue.gif) nowadays seem to have fallen into this pitfall...it's all special effects, and less plot...

As for the sad excuse for the new terminator in T3....does anyone else remember the good old days when a villain was supposed to be frightening and believable, instead of eye candy in a skin tight uniform? huh.gif

All the terminator films have rocked im my opinion but I wnat arnie back in a major role for thr fourth one, but I doubt it will happen. The rock wouldn`t be a bad choice but without arnie it wont be the same!

I always wanted to know after Terminator 1 why the first terminator was Austrian? original.gif

Terminator 2 is my favourite movie. Then they ruined it with T:3.

Now they're going to be doing even more damage to it. It's so stupid. Why does everything need a sequel these days?!

Terminator 3 was freaking stupid. Every part about it. EXCEPT...

I always wanted to know after Terminator 1 why the first terminator was Austrian?  original.gif

281550[/snapback]

In T3 on the DVD there was a special deleted scene which explained just thins.

The scene was with a military marine (Arnold) explaining how his body was going to be the model for a new type of robort solider, (The Terminator). However, his voice was VERY Texan, and sounded stupid.

Cut to another scene, and it's a board of people watching the videotape of the marine. One says, in a VERy thick austrian accent 'I like him. Tho we must do someting about that voice.'

hehehehee!!

Yeah...it's that kinda cheesy crap that makes me really not wanna watch it huh.gif

That was just a silly joke part that wasn't in the movie, only the extras.

However, it is parts like that IN the movie that made it so terribly bad. Like Arnie saying 'She'll Be Back' oh oh ha ha so funny he said his line but with a TWIST wow!

The thing is with T3 is that arnie showed up like he never died in the second one. The terminator had all the personality traits the one in the second film gradually got during the character development.

Bah. T2 was such a fantastic movie and it was really brough down by how crap T3 was. Leave it at that, for gods sake.

Yeah, haha. Poor James Cameron!

oh, and drop The Rock and go by his real name.

That, I disagree with....which would you buy? A movie with "The Rock", an internationally famous, established name? Or "Dwayne Johnson"...who sounds like the guy who mows your lawn tongue.gif

281493[/snapback]

Good point... But at the same time, I think 'The Rock' just puts some people off... 'oh, he's a rastler turned actor' type thing... so Maybe if he could gradually change to his real name, it might help his career in terms of (ignorant) people taking him more seriously...

Edited by TheCrow

the Rock cant change his name for the movies because WWE owns that name so he has to go by it until he retires from wrestling.

the Rock cant change his name for the movies because WWE owns that name so he has to go by it until he retires from wrestling.

Actually the WWE owns the name The Rock, not Dwayne Johnson tongue.gif, he can go by his real name any time he wants, he just rather go by the name he's famous for.

i know that WWE owns the Rock name. thats what i was talking about. i didnt say they owned Dwayne Johnson. im saying that WWE requires him to use the name The Rock to promote his movies more. the most they can do is put Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson for a movie

The Rock does his movies independently from the WWE, they have no power over what he calls himself.