Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged]Spontaneous human combustion theory

Still Waters

A Cambridge professor has tackled the issue of spontaneous combustion – using belly pork.

Prof Brian J Ford is a research biologist and author of more than 30 books, most about cell biology and microscopy but he has turned his attention to the mechanisms behind why people ‘explode’.

He said in an article in New Scientist: “One minute they may be relaxing in a chair, the next they erupt into a fireball.

“Jets of blue fire shoot from their bodies like flames from a blowtorch, and within half an hour they are reduced to a pile of ash.

http://www.cambridge...ry-21082012.htm

While I was reading this a firework exploded, got to love the festive season... Back to reading.

Interesting, but can they explain why people just burst into flames?

Edited by Lrak

But we're made up of so much watery goop (not sure what it exactly is)

• Like 1

But we're made up of so much watery goop (not sure what it exactly is)

Carbon

It takes a full 30 minutes to burn ?

That's a long time,in burning time.

• Like 2

Carbon

President Nixon, please get a new speech writer. Those one-word sentences are annoying.

That one sounds like:

Caaaarrrrrrrrrrrbbbbbooooonnnnnnn

How interesting! I always thought that the issue involved a out-of-kelter metabolic happening.

All they did is identify one possible material involved in SHC, not even the method that made it happen as they had to set fire to it first!

Edited by Ashiene

Literally one of the worst ways to die,kinda humiliating really...

It would be interesting to see if these cases involving spontaneous combustion were diabetics where ketones could be in a higher concentration. Acetone is extremely flammable, has low flashpoint and can explode at at relatively low concentrations. So, this theory seems plausible.

• Like 1

How come we never see it during basketball, football, or the Olympics?

Now that would be funny! Sort of.

Well as per Randy Marsh ,its from holding in gas ,and as per Nigel Tufnel,you have to be a spinal tap drummer.

• Like 2

All they did is identify one possible material involved in SHC, not even the method that made it happen as they had to set fire to it first!

I agree with you on that .

I have one theory for this because I really thought at the time I might be burnt to toast!

Who knows there may be many triggers if the person's make up is is like this researcher said ?

I experienced something that might be what is called ball lightning in 1981. I don't know , but I was amazed whatever it was. I just moved to the country and there was a lightning thunder then a small storm which ended up with a beautiful sunset and rainbow that evening. I walked in the door from work and left the screen open since the air was so fresh from the rain. I was surprised when I saw a ball of light come floating and stopped in the living room for about 40 seconds or so. It was white like a florescent light and a little bigger than a basketball. I assume it came through the door but I didn't see where it came from since I was too busy just coming home to notice. It moved toward the large bay window but it popped as it went to a lamp I just turned on ! It flashed like an old time big flash bulb even the same kind of sound but sort of like a small clap of thunder. It smelled like an electrical fire after but there was no fire. The lamp shade smelled and had residue on it because there was some smoke when it happened. When it happened, it was just raining and part of the sky seemed to have a strange yellow hue but it was just before the big lightning and downpour part of the storm. It was part of the storm obviously.

I always wondered if ball lightning is an answer to the mystery of unexplained spontaneous combustion after that.

It sounds plausible. Now we have the inflammable element, we need to identify the trigger. How about checking the med the victims of S.C had intaken? maybe there is some lead in that direction?

The first thing that came to mind was the Atkins diet which I have followed for years. Wonder if there is an increase in spontaneous human combustion with the explosion of ketogenic diets.

'During the first few weeks of the Atkins Diet, the so-called "induction" phase, a person is forced to live off so much grease that, lacking the preferred fuel--carbohydrates--their body goes into starvation mode. In biochemistry class, doctors learn that fat "burns in the flame of carbohydrate." When one is eating enough carbohydrates, fat can be completely broken down as well. But when one's body runs out of carb fuel to burn, its only choice is to burn fat inefficiently using a pathway that produces toxic byproducts like acetone and other so-called "ketones." The acetone escapes through the lungs--giving Atkins followers what one weight-loss expert calls "rotten-apple breath" and the other ketones have to be excreted by the kidneys. We burn fat all the time; it's only when we are carbohydrate deficient and have to burn fat ineffectively that we go into what's called a state of ketosis, defined as having so much acetone in our blood it noticeably spills out into our lungs or so many other ketones they spill out into our urine.'

Spontaneous human combustion, for which acetone produced by ketosis has been suggested as a cause.<--Wikipedia (that was a fast update)

Natural explanations

• Almost all cases of SHC involve persons with low mobility, due to advanced age or obesity, along with poor health.[6] Victims show a high likelihood of dying in their sleep, or of being unable to move once they had caught fire.
  • Cigarettes are often seen as the source of fire, as dropped cigarettes are the leading cause of house fires in the USA.[7] Natural causes such as heart attacks may lead to the victim dying, subsequently dropping the cigarette, which after a period of smouldering can ignite the victim's clothes. NOTE TO SELF: Stop smoking while in ketosis. Further more I should probably restrict myself to a raw food diet so I'm not close to my gas stove.
  • The "wick effect" hypothesis suggests that a small external flame source, such as a burning cigarette, chars the clothing of the victim at a location, splitting the skin and releasing subcutaneous fat, which is in turn absorbed into the burned clothing, acting as a wick. This combustion can continue for as long as the fuel is available. This hypothesis has been successfully tested with animal tissue (pig) and is consistent with evidence recovered from cases of human combustion.[9][10] The human body typically has enough stored energy in fat and other chemical stores to fully combust the body; even lean people have several pounds of fat in their tissues. This fat, once heated by the burning clothing, wicks into the clothing much as candle wax (which typically was originally made of animal fat) wicks into a lit candle wick to provide the fuel needed to keep the wick burning. /Hides sharp instruments, cigarettes and sells gas stove.

• Scalding can cause burn-like injuries, including death, without setting fire to clothing. Although not applicable in cases where the body is charred and burnt, this has been suggested as a cause in at least one claimed SHC-like event.[12]

• 3 weeks later...

How come we never see it during basketball, football, or the Olympics?

Now that would be funny! Sort of.

LOL,I can see it : He heading to half court spins and shoots......3 points hes on fire,No Really He's ON FIRE !!!!

It would be interesting to see if these cases involving spontaneous combustion were diabetics where ketones could be in a higher concentration. Acetone is extremely flammable, has low flashpoint and can explode at at relatively low concentrations. So, this theory seems plausible.

HEY HEY Watch out ,I'm diabetic and don't want to burst into flames.Lets hope this theroy is dead wrong,Make me want to buy a water bed,LOL

• 2 weeks later...

You need to know: the hot and cold scale are one, united scale. A universal mean that Thomas Jefferson and I myself defined unites them…all of the following will help you answer your own question/s regarding SHC and everything else:

There is an existent amount of energy at absolute zero; what organized science has failed to account for is that time itself is conscious and can be measured as having mass...this smallest particle that man can measure that I named the nanino and that I lovingly and jokingly call the Thomas Jefferson Particle IS the mean unit for conscious and so conscious awareness aka your mind as your mind and your brain are two different things. This amount of energy unites both the hot and cold scales and reasons why Tesla was reportedly ablator handle fireballs without being burned and you've all seen how ice can burn skin.

If you look you'll find that the very same hydrogen carbon chain reaction that is happening in the body also happens in the universe; look up alkylosis and follow the chain of causation (not reaction) and you'll find that SHC has to do with the united scale, this mean unit of consciousness, chemical bonding and cell degeneration hence cell waste. This is why some parts of the body are burned in such a way they turn into pure ash while other parts of the body seem to be perfectly intact.

Of course there's more to it; I stumbled upon the answer when I was working on intellectual property regarding Uniformity and I resolved it; I've already published it on the federal court record as in America a way to publish thus patent and copyright material is through publication on the federal court record in the Supreme Court as it becomes public domain and I awarded the rights to this discovery to The People.

you may not know as I'm the person who defined a law of this universe man has pursued for centuries: Thomas Jefferson not Lord Calvert correctly weighed the Earth, time and human consciousness. He first published his work as a legal case known as "A summary view" in 1774, the same year Calvert was erroneously awarded credit for what is an incorrect answer and a bad theory as Calvert strayed from the parameters set by Newton in Principia and acted upon a theory Newton dismisses as he says weighing a mountain will not give you a great enough difference, Newton states that you need this difference, a universal mean, to answer this question. nobody understood that Jefferson's work was also a scientific case. So Jefferson beat Calvert to the punch and published the correct answer first. It's simple but humans seem to have a difficult time wrapping their heads around what sovereignty actually is and how Jefferson could answer a scientific question via a legal case but in the US the only law is US Law and so the original versions authored by the Founders, The Declaration, Constitution and Federalist Papers are universally true hence are universal laws as they used actual or good science.

In 1783 Jefferson then set about conducting a scientific experiment in order to develop a universal currency; he TIMED his currency; he took two sets of measurements using an astrolabe, standard weight, pendulum, metronome and pedometer. He removed the metal wire and replaced it with a wooden rod to negate error caused by magnetism. He correctly accounted for both polar north and magnetic north...subtracting the two you have the universal mean Newton was looking for that Calvert never knew of. Calvert thought that a large error revealed by the Mason-Dixon survey that was unique was this mean but it was not; that error was caused by magnetic north that was closest to Mason and Dixon when they surveyed a circle to then square it creating what became the Mason-Dixon line. They did not understand magnetic north very well then; Calvert made his second mistake by moving to Scotland, away from magnetic north. His first was ignoring Newton.

If you go to Monticello, Jefferson's home, you will find a clock that Jefferson seemingly measured incorrectly so that the weight hit the floor and time stopped, lol. He cut a hole in his floor to fix his problem as that clock is no mistake: Jefferson enshrined the truth of his discovery in that clock; it's merely another form this answer takes. Jefferson can't fix what isn't broken!

Congress rejected Jefferson's system of weights and measures, the system he developed that then gave him an elegant, universal currency. Congress had no idea what Jefferson's work was and is - they could not comprehend it - and the terms he used as labels are awkward...this genius intellectual property sat in full public view unknown for what it actually is as did this clock for about 200 years. I took one look at it after resolving Uniformity and understood that Jefferson was on to this answer - Uniformity - but that he did not have the benefit of Einstein's work and that he died in 1826, 5 years before we began tracking magnetic North so he never came to know in his lifetime that he had answered Newton's question correctly not Calvert.

All anybody ever did is check Calvert's math NOT his theory and no theory is correct and a law until or unless you correctly predict the unknown behavior of nature as you never, ever use the same observations that you used to author your theory to then prove your theory is a law. We already know those observations! CERN recently tried to steal Jefferson's and my own intellectual property by claiming that they found EVIDENCE that Higgs particle might exist - read their press release carefully - when no particle collider is proof as that is not nature and we already know that when you smash particles you create smaller particles. That's an observation only but CERN made it seem as if they had discovered a God particle but then said it had not and that if it exists as their evidence suggests then it MIGHT explain the exchange of mass that is happening. NOPE, as Higgs is incorrect; the exchange of mass that Niels Bohr failed to reason at all in his "On The CONSTITUITION Of The Atom" is due to everything being conscious including time while human beings are conscious and also consciously aware as only humans have a mind of their own. Bohr would have you believe that atoms self-aware and Creator aware as if they act upon will and liberty of their own.

You do not honestly believe that CERN "accidentally" held that press conference on July 3rd, right before our own July 4th, when Bastille Day is July 14th so that CERN & France could've waited to make their announcement on their own birthday IF they actually discovered something, do you? I served them as I'm about to enter the US Court of Claims to collect upon a judgment that I already won in the Supreme Court of the US that was finally, at last, recognized in person in a county court in Western Florida outside of Tallahassee on April 5th, 2012. If I was incorrect then CERN wouldn't have reacted as they did as the New world Order you're facing is Jesus Christ as God replaced by French Physics as God, by anything so-called authoritarian rulers dictate to you being blindly accepted as fact and law via the use of nasty lawyer tricks especially propaganda.

The reason unjust men insist that you do not have a mind of your own and so sovereignty is not the actual reality of this universe is because they are desperate to preserve their ability to lie thereby casting judgment values upon you and in so doing place blame upon other people and things for what are their own actions; they are desperate to avoid the actual reality of human guilt and human grief at all costs so that they are never held accountable and responsible for what are crimes against humanity. As long as they can lie to you as you do not have access to a billion dollar particle collider or to the American Supreme Court so that no venue exists for you? THEY CONTROL YOU! They mean and intend to rob you of your right and in so doing this patent.

To prove my theory as well as Jefferson's theory and a part of American Hugh Everett's theory regarding the structure of time ANYBODY can begin tracking magnetic North as I know how and why it moves...when it moves as I predict? My theory will be proven to be law...if you're bored the value of my intellectual property lies in the ability to answer all of the questions we have about the universe once you know the answer to Uniformity and in the engineering of new technology as machines such as an EEG are not designed and calibrated to measure this type and amount of energy. I awarded the rights to The People as US Law names scientific discovery and benefiting form your intellectual property as a right and it is but as I was entrusted with this knowledge by The Creator and then gifted with a part of the answer by Jefferson then I turned around and gifted it to you. Besides: paper money is a total fabrication as it is not honor bound and is meant to harm you so how can I collect what I don't believe in and what I know to be worthless?

Jefferson's numbers were later tweaked when France abandoned Jefferson's oscillating rod method and they became the METRIC SYSTEM so France is also extremely embarrassed that their metric system is flawed, lol.

When you look up alkaline processes? Keep in mind that nanoparticles of gold exist on the heads of sperm that are covered in an alkaline coating and that swim in a saline solution; also keep in mind (!) that you have nanoparticles of gold in your brains and that as naninos exist in gold you will also find these same particles in the vacuum space is...Einstein said in a vacuum independent of the natural FORCES plural that energy would rise not independent of a natural force singular. That's the intrinsic value gold has but men do not know it.

If you follow this chain of causation that occurs in your body and in the universe you will figure out the WHOLE solutions to "mysteries like "What is SHC? How does it begin? What is bi-polar if ti is an actual disorder?" etc. etc. as the animate rises form the animate NOT the inanimate as that, the animate rising from the inanimate, makes zero sense and essentially sets up man as The Creator of this universe in such a way anything goes. You won't need me to give you the answers as you'll realize these answers are simple not complex and that there are experiments you can conduct in your own home using common everyday items in order to prove it to yourself so you do not need to be co-dependent with CERN & France or anybody else, lol.

I will steer you in the correct direction: Pasteur discovered that there is a chemical basis to all of this; look up crystals and symmetry as EVERYTHING including the whole universe itself has a crystalline structure.

Lavosier demonstrated that when you focused a beam of sunlight on a diamond in an environment of pure oxygen (that space is) then carbon dioxide is produced.

Diamond and graphite are the same thing with different crystalline structures.

When gold is added to glass it produces a brilliant red color; glass is another name for molten metal hence glass is another name for magma. Our planet's red iron core is actually melted quartz in which naninos - nanoparticles of gold - exist and couple becoming the links of consciousness that hold all of reality together. You have an iron core that is so hot it becomes glass and is not magnetic at this temperature exactly as gold itself has no magnetic property.

Quartz crystal technology but first quartz crystal biology (sorry for the hyperlinks!):

Ben Franklin proved that the water in the Leyden Jar, an early form of battery, was not the capacitor; he named it a battery after a battery of conons and became internationally recognized for his scientific work in the field of electricty. Both Jefferson and Franklin were hobbyists who dabbled in watch making:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_quartz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectricity

Lastly: What do you get when you combine CO2 with hydrogen and run an electrical charge through it? H2O. And: the most basic living organisms of all that arise from naninos, these links of consciousness or links of time, known as: amino acids!!!

Once you have water you then can have methane as the hydrogen in water combines with the CO2 to form methane; you have fuel. The mistake science made is to insist that the organic arose from the inorganic; they failed to conquer time or consciousness so they insisted – came to believe as if it’s law – that the organic and so the animate arises from the inorganic and inanimate when that makes zero logical sense and flies in the face of all evidence and proof. Remember the name Miller of the “human fetuses are fish fetuses” infamy? Well, here’s something else by somebody named Miller:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller%E2%80%93Urey_experiment

Why weren’t nucleic acids formed? You should know why, lol. You were made sovereign when you were crowned with a mind of your own by The Creator; fortunately for me the American Founders named a Creator, Nature and Nature's God exactly; they placed all of these answers in the original versions of US Law using different words - legal terms that tranlate to scientific terms as well as to theological terms and they hung in plain sight all of this time...if CERN wanted to know all it had to do is visit our Smithsonian as these documents are on permanent display and admission is free as the American taxpayers fund their own national museum. CERN & France would've saved itself billion and billions of phony money and wasted man hours.

You should be able to go back and answer your own question/s without their kind of mindless, debilitating, authoritarian, fascist "help".

Edited by Saru
Added source links - please don't copy and paste large amounts of text from Wikipedia

• 2 weeks later...

What about sodium? Would too much sodium present in the body contribute to spontaneous combustion?

Table salt is composed of two important minerals: sodium and chloride. Sodium and chloride bind together as table salt because sodium has a positive charge and chloride has a negative charge. In the body, the minerals are separated and have important roles.

The body is composed primarily of water. Table salt dissolves in the body and is distributed to the various fluid compartments, such as inside the blood vessels, outside the blood vessels and inside cells. The concentration of the positively charged sodium inside of cells is significantly lower than outside of blood vessels. This relationship between the two concentrations is important for electrical conduction, especially for the heart, muscles and nerves.

The sodium in table salt can promote fluid retention. As such, excessive sodium can increase the blood pressure. Over time, this can lead to organ damage, such as heart disease, kidney disease and brain damage. Table salt can also worsen certain medical conditions. In congestive heart failure, salt increases fluid in the blood vessels and decreases the ability of the heart to pump blood.

I have looked into this in the past and from I can recall there was no proof what so ever that SHC was caused by the body bursting into flames , there was always an external source , once the fire started the body fat would burn and turn the person into ash .

It wasn't always the whole body either and sometimes the clothes would not be burnt but the body was . For the life of me I can't think where I was reading this info , I know it was a few years ago ...... maybe even here on UM ?

TiP.

Acetone is flammable and has low flashpoint and can explode. And lets say that our body can produce that many acetone. Okay, but how does that explain that surviving victims have reported feeling no heat?

Or this,

Analysis of the remains and scenes of known cases of SHC often reveal extreme heat, sometimes in excess of 1000◦, yet the surrounding environment is found characteristically unharmed. Even nearby draperies and furniture remains largely unaffected by the heat and flame, and in many cases, the very bed or chair in which the victim was seated survives the event with little damage.

For unknown reasons, a majority of cases, in which the victim dies as a result of SHC, a single limb or extremity is left behind. The limb is normally severed by the heat/fire and, like the surrounding environment, remains largely unaffected by the fire (aside from the fact that the rest of the body was consumed).

The ignition source for true SHC cases is entirely unknown. Untouched surroundings scene. Surviving victims felt no heat at all.

Smite of god, devils attack, plasma strike, pyrokinesis seems to me more logical then acetone.

Spontaneous human combustion is one of the more vexing medical mysteries in existence. A person is found burned to ashes, with no apparent ignition source nearby. Usually objects nearby are unharmed, and sometimes parts of the body -- usually the legs -- are left relatively intact...

http://www.ibtimes.com/men-fire-how-does-spontaneous-combustion-happen-799385

One of my recent posts:

Acetone is flammable and has low flashpoint and can explode. And lets say that our body can produce that many acetone. Okay, but how does that explain that surviving victims have reported feeling no heat?

Or this,

Analysis of the remains and scenes of known cases of SHC often reveal extreme heat, sometimes in excess of 1000◦, yet the surrounding environment is found characteristically unharmed. Even nearby draperies and furniture remains largely unaffected by the heat and flame, and in many cases, the very bed or chair in which the victim was seated survives the event with little damage.

For unknown reasons, a majority of cases, in which the victim dies as a result of SHC, a single limb or extremity is left behind. The limb is normally severed by the heat/fire and, like the surrounding environment, remains largely unaffected by the fire (aside from the fact that the rest of the body was consumed).

The ignition source for true SHC cases is entirely unknown. Untouched surroundings scene. Surviving victims felt no heat at all.

Smite of god, devils attack, plasma strike, pyrokinesis seems to me more logical then acetone.

This is something that is very strange to have happen and I have to wonder about the acetone. The body must be doing something for this to happen but I don't understand the victims not feeling any heat. Unless something else is going on here.

If SHC is a real but very rare phenomena, then what causes it, IMO must be somekind of chemical imbalance in the body. Perhaps a side effect of medications, or the electrical impulses emitted by the brain, go amok. I dont know, a external source is not to be excluded either, the body become inflammable, and gasses emitted are inflammable. If somebody turns a smoke...kaboom. Hmm more investigation is necessary, but to me it sound like somekind of chemical reaction.

Alternatively, they are shapeshifters or alien probes disguised as humans, who malfunction or come to the end of their life cycles?