Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

49 of 50 states dusted with snow this year

Caesar

Forget red and blue — color America white. There was snow on the ground in 49 states Friday. Hawaii was the holdout.

It was the United States of Snow, thanks to an unusual combination of weather patterns that dusted the U.S., including the skyscrapers of Dallas, the peach trees of Atlanta and the Florida Panhandle, where hurricanes are more common than snowflakes.

More than two-thirds of the nation's land mass had snow on the ground when the day dawned yesterday, and then it snowed ever so slightly in Florida to make it 49 states out of 50.

arrow3.gifRead more...

We just goe over three inches in Charlotte, NC.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caesar

• ninjadude

• Cadetak

• Startraveler

Top Posters In This Topic

We just goe over three inches in Charlotte, NC.

I live in Western Washington, Seattle area. Our state gets some snow every year because we have some huge mountains. However, we've had no snow in Seattle at all this year which is unusual. we usually get at the bare minimum 3 inches. Last year we got 2 feet, this year... I haven't seen so much as a snowflake fall from the sky. That's really unusual. it doesn't really snow buckets here very often, and last winter was a "100 year event" ... mostly it does just rain. This year it's been downright blamy.

I live in Western Washington, Seattle area. Our state gets some snow every year because we have some huge mountains. However, we've had no snow in Seattle at all this year which is unusual. we usually get at the bare minimum 3 inches. Last year we got 2 feet, this year... I haven't seen so much as a snowflake fall from the sky. That's really unusual. it doesn't really snow buckets here very often, and last winter was a "100 year event" ... mostly it does just rain. This year it's been downright blamy.

Yeah I noticed that, that area even in Vancover has has very little snow, but even in Mexico theres reports of snow.

It snows in the wintertime. Duh.

Not a foot of snow in Dallas duhh, so much for global warming duhh

Snow is a form of precipitation. Formed when water evapor--you know what, never mind. Thank goodness for these anomalies occurrences demonstrating the stability of our climate!

Snow is a form of precipitation. Formed when water evapor--you know what, never mind. Thank goodness for these anomalies occurrences demonstrating the stability of our climate!

So global warming has changed to climate change because since 1998 it seems to be getting colder, now it doesn't matter if it warm or cold, they are just going to watch the extreme weather. the CRU claimed this would be the warmest year on record, yet so many Americans have seen snow this year.

Well yesterday they said that Hawaii was getting snow and now its not? I wish they would make up their minds about it!

This is just insane!

So you're extrapolating mean global temperatures for 2010 from the fact that in January and February it snowed in some places? What about counterexamples? Portland had to cancel its winter festival this weekend because it hasn't snowed here in several weeks. This apparently is happening elsewhere in New England as well. What do these limited examples prove to you?

(Here's what the answer should be: nothing.)

Edited by Startraveler

So you're extrapolating mean global temperatures for 2010 from the fact that in January and February it snowed in some places? What about counterexamples? Portland had to cancel its winter festival this weekend because it hasn't snowed here in several weeks. This apparently is happening elsewhere in New England as well. What do these limited examples prove to you?

First off I'm not saying that there isn't global warming, or what ever you want to call going on, just that it snowed in many places that usually doesn't get any and some places got record amounts of snow. this also happened at the end of last year, the World Series had to be called of because it was to cold and alot of snow. don't you think if the planet was warming, it would be all rain, like in 1998?

(Here's what the answer should be: nothing.)

I'll be the judge of that, thank you!

So this is a Global Warming/Climate Change thread I'm assuming?

Ironically Vancouver doesn't have enough snow for it's Vancouver Winter Olympic Games. Can America bail out Canada's snow deficit? :

All is fine in the world. Some places are hot. Some places are cold. And some places are warm. Snow here. Snow there. Some places.. no snow.

People need to chill out. Especially the climate change / global warming alarmists.

Quit watching your " The Day after Tomorrow " dvds and mellow out. Geeze...

Well yesterday they said that Hawaii was getting snow and now its not? I wish they would make up their minds about it!

This is just insane!

a couple of the mountians in hawaii has some snow on their tops not much but enough to have its own ecology

First off I'm not saying that there isn't global warming, or what ever you want to call going on, just that it snowed in many places that usually doesn't get any and some places got record amounts of snow. this also happened at the end of last year, the World Series had to be called of because it was to cold and alot of snow. don't you think if the planet was warming, it would be all rain, like in 1998?

I'll be the judge of that, thank you!

Your kind of over simplifying it a far bit. Although we would assume 'Global Warming' would mean a warmer less snowy planet that isn't how it works exactly, it's more the globe warms which causes various climate change. Ironically, global warming can cause more snow. One reason can be that the increased heat in some places causes more snow to melt and water to vaporate into the atmosphere which of course course causes rain/snow/hail. If I remember correctly(which in all likelihood I don't :P) the observable signs of Climate Change/Global Warming won't be a gradual warming of the weather but more chaotic unusual weather.

From my understanding, 'Climate Change'(or whatever term you prefer) is pretty much fact. The question is the when and to what degree. It's also pretty much a fact that humans effect the change. The Debate that goes along with the topic is to what degree human actions are effecting Climate Change...some say "OMGZ go green or were all going to die" while others go "Pfft I'm buying a Hummer". Also, regardless of human action, there is also debate on how serious the climate change will be from OMGZ Ice age/where going to be Mercury! to No biggy it's whatever. However Generally speaking Climate Change is real it's just a matter of how serious it is and/or what humans have to do with it.

I got a C- minus in Earth/Space Science so you should probably ignore me though :P

Your kind of over simplifying it a far bit. Although we would assume 'Global Warming' would mean a warmer less snowy planet that isn't how it works exactly, it's more the globe warms which causes various climate change. Ironically, global warming can cause more snow. One reason can be that the increased heat in some places causes more snow to melt and water to vaporate into the atmosphere which of course course causes rain/snow/hail. If I remember correctly(which in all likelihood I don't :P) the observable signs of Climate Change/Global Warming won't be a gradual warming of the weather but more chaotic unusual weather.

The problem is, is that I haven't seen that much warming since 1998, and just about every AGW group that tells use that the planet is warming is involved in some major scandal or in an investigation like the IPCC and the CRU.

From my understanding, 'Climate Change'(or whatever term you prefer) is pretty much fact. The question is the when and to what degree. It's also pretty much a fact that humans effect the change. The Debate that goes along with the topic is to what degree human actions are effecting Climate Change...some say "OMGZ go green or were all going to die" while others go "Pfft I'm buying a Hummer". Also, regardless of human action, there is also debate on how serious the climate change will be from OMGZ Ice age/where going to be Mercury! to No biggy it's whatever. However Generally speaking Climate Change is real it's just a matter of how serious it is and/or what humans have to do with it.

I got a C- minus in Earth/Space Science so you should probably ignore me though :P

Who has the facts to back up this claim, you can't look at whats been going on in the past 100 years and say humans are causing it. I agree Climate Change is real, you get some patterns of warm climate and others that are cold but there clearly isn't any evidence backed by the scientiffic method, thats why the models are never right. many such claims of scientiffic proof do not have an open peer review process, looked at with skepticism or the raw data used to back up such claims isn't open, not to mention using work by activist groups.

a couple of the mountians in hawaii has some snow on their tops not much but enough to have its own ecology

That's what dad said yesterday.

But still!

The problem is, is that I haven't seen that much warming since 1998, and just about every AGW group that tells use that the planet is warming is involved in some major scandal or in an investigation like the IPCC and the CRU.

Who has the facts to back up this claim, you can't look at whats been going on in the past 100 years and say humans are causing it. I agree Climate Change is real, you get some patterns of warm climate and others that are cold but there clearly isn't any evidence backed by the scientiffic method, thats why the models are never right. many such claims of scientiffic proof do not have an open peer review process, looked at with skepticism or the raw data used to back up such claims isn't open, not to mention using work by activist groups.

I learned about Climate Change before it became cool to do so...before the greenies, before Gore, before the hype, before the movies, etc as apart of school education. I have trouble understanding science/math and it also bores me so I never got into Global Warming debates. So my knowledge is limited, for example I still don't really know the specifics of Climategate. Because I don't understand the subjects beyond the basics, I can pretty much be swayed either way, because both sides sound would sound convincing...which is probably the same for 90% of the average population.

If I had to make a stance, I'd stay that Climate Change is indeed real at is a bit more then a 'warming/cooling period' but not some big threatening serious thing. I also believe that humans do have an effect on the environment but believe the effect it has on Climate Change is relatively minor.

However 'going green' I believe is important because as the world becomes more developed the threat we potentially pose becomes greater. Of course I don't think it's all that necessary to push 'green' before 'green' is ready to go and practical.

yet so many Americans have seen snow this year.

A myopic viewpoint. America is not THE WORLD.

just that it snowed in many places that usually doesn't get any and some places got record amounts of snow. this also happened at the end of last year, the World Series had to be called of because it was to cold and alot of snow. don't you think if the planet was warming, it would be all rain, like in 1998?

in the US. The US is not the WORLD. The US isn't suddenly going to stop having seasons. Is that what you're saying?

All is fine in the world. Some places are hot. Some places are cold. And some places are warm. Snow here. Snow there. Some places.. no snow.

No it's not. MOST places are warming OVER RECENT TIME than can be accounted for by cyclical variance. That does not mean there aren't major snowstorms. I have already posted that that event is exactly what is predicted.

I and many others have posted the links for you.

I know here in Ottawa we've had the mildest winter in years. I mean I can see grass in my backyard! It's unnatural! And this week they're talking about how we're going to go above freezing so seems spring is early this year.

Oh and Hawaii get the the program! America must stand united in these dark times.

:P

Edited by Corp

A myopic viewpoint. America is not THE WORLD.

in the US. The US is not the WORLD. The US isn't suddenly going to stop having seasons. Is that what you're saying?

I know it seems when ever there are claims of AGW its always in some other part of the world. records from datasets we cant verify. the point I was trying to make is that its going to be hard to sell this faith if its snowing everywhere.

I and many others have posted the links for you.

Is this the thierd time your going to bring up that prediction of more extreme weather, the one that claimed we were going to see more snow in the middle of all the snow storms?