Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Only known photos of French Resistance facing

Still Waters

The only known photographs of French Resistance fighters facing a Nazi firing squad at an execution site on the outskirts of Paris have gone on display for the first time.

The three pictures were taken by a German soldier who hid in the bushes on February 21, 1941 and secretly captured the executions at Mont-Valerien.

Despite more than 1,000 'hostages' being killed at the site, it was thought no pictures existed as Nazis prohibited the taking of photographs for fear they would be used as anti-propaganda.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonathanVonErich

• Still Waters

• puridalan

• Indiogene

Top Posters In This Topic

That's crazy, wow, right before they died you don't see pics like that everyday...not that I would want to though. But it's good to be reminded of evil.

I came to admire the French Resistance whom fought the Nazi occupation and stood against what the Nazis were for: invasion of a country (the Maginot Line in the Lorraine/Alsace region was a failure), oppression of civil liberties and genocide of innocent people. They welcomed the US armed forces, the British and Canadian allies, and many Leftists including Communist party members for awhile were on the side of the Resistance.

Among the "Le resistance Francaise" fighters was my late grandfather, he joined them after the 1940 annexation of France and spent about 2 years in exile in England where he picked up enough English. Also to note the Nord/pas-de-Calais region was a major battleground of the Nazis due to its geographic location close to neutral Belgium and my father's family hometown Saint Omer is 60 miles from the British coast (Dover, England) across the Channel.