Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Adam Deen | Islam Is A Peaceful Religion

Phaeton80

A refreshing look at the 21st century boogeyman, the perceived 'clear & present danger', for millions of Westerners..

Adam Deen, a prominent Muslim intellectual and founder and director of the Deen Institute, counters Anne-Marie Waters by arguing that "if we approach Islamic teaching fairly and objectively, there is a golden thread that runs through whole Qur'an," an ideal of "justice" and "positive peace".

He argues that in fact the whole of Islam is compatible with "just war theory", in which "the virtue of avoiding violence is superseded by the virtue of justice." He then quotes from the Qur'an which states: "Fight in God's cause but do not overstep the limits. God does not love those who overstep the limits."

MOTION: THIS HOUSE BELIEVES ISLAM IS A RELIGION OF PEACE.

Yes's: 286

No's: 168

Filmed on 28/02/2013

ABOUT ADAM DEEN:

ADAM DEEN is a Muslim public intellectual who has spoken at more than 40 UK university campuses. He is founder and Director of the Deen Institute, and has debated against many atheists including Peter Atkins.

ABOUT THE OXFORD UNION SOCIETY:

The Union is the world's most prestigious debating society, with an unparalleled reputation for bringing international guests and speakers to Oxford. It has been established for 189 years, aiming to promote debate and discussion not just in Oxford University, but across the globe.

• Like 2

It's not the religion that's the problem, it's what unstable people do with it that causes suffering.

• Like 9

Ban all relgions

Exactly the sort of response I would expect from an individual like yourself.

It isnt (Abrahamic) religion, to the contrary. Its the folly of Man itself.

• Like 2

Hmm, Phaeton80 is in Amsterdam and believes that Islam is a religion of peace. I'm sure Theo van Gogh would have been thrilled to learn that.

theo.jpg

• Like 3

Hmm, Phaeton80 is in Amsterdam and believes that Islam is a religion of peace. I'm sure Theo van Gogh would have been thrilled to learn that.

And Lee Rigby!

• Like 7

Why does he even bother? if he thinks its a peaceful religion, great, follow it peacefully and do not blow anyone up, BUT DO NOT TRY TO CONVERT US TO BELIEVE IT IS SOLELY PEACEFUL, there is far too much evidence and have been far too many deaths to show it is not the case.

ANY religion which kills in the name of their god or because they think they are soldiers fighting their cause, is NOT peaceful.

This man should really keep his "ideas" about islam to himself and his mosque, he is not in a muslim country and it will never be one.

I have no problem in him loving his religion, but do it where it belongs...in a muslim country!

• Like 5

It's not the religion that's the problem, it's what unstable people do with it that causes suffering.

In the case of Islam, that statement is wrong!

• Like 4

In the case of Islam, that statement is wrong!

Is it? Please fill in the following blanks;

"I would like you to provide s____es to validate that."

Why does he even bother? if he thinks its a peaceful religion, great, follow it peacefully and do not blow anyone up, BUT DO NOT TRY TO CONVERT US TO BELIEVE IT IS SOLELY PEACEFUL, there is far too much evidence and have been far too many deaths to show it is not the case.

ANY religion which kills in the name of their god or because they think they are soldiers fighting their cause, is NOT peaceful.

This man should really keep his "ideas" about islam to himself and his mosque, he is not in a muslim country and it will never be one.

I have no problem in him loving his religion, but do it where it belongs...in a muslim country!

Sweet mother of god.

Conditioned much?

• Like 2

Islam is no more violent than Christianity. If you don't think so, crack open a history book and learn. Crusades?? Started by Christians. Pretty much every land Christians have conquered they have also forced conversions. And their force usually involves destroying homes and raping and murdering.

But that's okay apparently. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

when people lose their minds it is easy to put religion as an excuse

"Before the shooting, Breivik posted a 1,500-page manifesto online in which he said he was just one operative in the beginning of a violent Christian conservative revolution in Europe led by a group called the new Knights Templar. ."

thats from the denmak shooter.

I dont believe in essense religions are meant to tbe destructive to the outer world. People always took religious teachings too materialistically. This was the biggest mistake done in religions of the world.

studying of holy texts take time. you need to look at whole verse and the text that it is sent into. also you should look at when and in which situation that verse is sent. most important of it all, it requires a holistic desire of getting close to god. actually this is the main purpose of reading these texts or else they dont serve any purpose whatsoever. they all look fearsome,feel like head ache or distant and at least like gibberish to those who do not act on that desire.

Edited by thyra
  • Like 1

Sweet mother of god.

Conditioned much?

God had a mother?

Not conditioned at all. not a follower, not indoctrinated, not bothered what people want to believe in, as long as people do not try and say they are peaceful, history IS our witness, be it islam, Christianity or Judaism, that this is not the case.

islam is not just a religion to many of them, it is a political party too.

In time, maybe the religions will all become peaceful and live side by side, but so far, IT IS NOT HAPPENING.

I will not even bother to put up links to the deaths of people around the world because of religion today, because its on the news virtually everyday.

• Like 2

Erm.. yeah. Well you see, the beauty of conditioning is that the victim - per very definition - is blisfully unaware of it.

And given your former post was filled to the very brim with xenophobic, highly subjective, utterly misconstrued content.. Let me just be the one to tell you.., you my good man, are one conditioned mofo.

(I mean 'mofo' in a friendly sort of way)

Edited by Phaeton80
  • Like 1

Of those three, freetoroam, I'd say Judaism is the least violent. They've always been on the receiving end of violence starting with the Inquisition. Even long before then, they were largely disliked by Christians.

Erm.. yeah. Well you see, the beauty of conditioning is that the victim - per very definition - is blisfully unaware of it.

And given your former post was filled to the very brim with xenophobic, highly subjective, utterly misconstrued content.. Let me just be the one to tell you.., you my good man, are one conditioned mofo.

(I mean 'mofo' in a friendly sort of way)

So, Phaeton, you're saying that there is absolutely no violence whatsoever done in the name of Islam? At any time? To any personages living or dead?

It always depends on, how a religion and their book is handled. It is fact, that the world is under a global pressure by terror in the

name of Isalm since 20 years meanwhile. And I´m still missing the voice, and the action, of the so called "peacefull" islam. The

jihad is still active on a high level. We are not only suffering under direct attacks, we are also suffering under the financial invest

that we have to spend globally in terror prevention actions. Billions of dollars/euros every year. And this money is missing in all that

sectors, those are the key indicators for civilisation : education, healthcare, science, research and others.

Too many freaks are still influencing our lives badly in the name of islam and how it is written in the islam. And appeasement didn´t

had any success so far.

How it works. Koran, Sure 9, Verse 5:

"And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them

and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give zakah, let them [go] on their

way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful".

Every muslim that I asked in my life about the meaning of 9/5 have had just an attempt to explain. And the peacefull ones are not happy in any kind with actuall situation.

Edited by toast

Religion, whatever it is, is just an excuse to grab power/wealth - and although I'd like to say ban religion, I'd say everyone can have any religion they want, unless they preach/try to convert/ try to influence civil issues and harm others.

Militan-Ateist.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm sure there are many practicing Muslims who are quite peaceful. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that most are. But as with everything in life, the light shines only one the bad ones. They all stand out and want to make a name for themselves. What makes news for all of us to thrive on and fuel hate with is the negative.

• Like 1

I'm sure there are many practicing Muslims who are quite peaceful. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that most are. But as with everything in life, the light shines only one the bad ones. They all stand out and want to make a name for themselves. What makes news for all of us to thrive on and fuel hate with is the negative.

Problem is (as in all main religions) that a small percentage, are still a lot, when you count them

How it works. Koran, Sure 9, Verse 5:

"And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them

and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give zakah, let them [go] on their

way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful".

Every muslim that I asked in my life about the meaning of 9/5 have had just an attempt to explain.

Deutreronomy 13

13:6 If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; 13:7 Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth; 13:8 Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:

13:9 But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.

similar idea, right?

I repeat, before reading these texts you need to have the right intention/desire or you get lost.

Edited by thyra
  • Like 2

Deutreronomy 13

13:6 If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; 13:7 Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth; 13:8 Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:

13:9 But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.

similar idea, right?

I repeat, before reading these texts you need to have the right intention/desire or you get lost.

The bible makes the holocaust look like a picnic.

• Like 1

Well then, with that logic Christianity can get right on that band wagon with "Islam".

Christian Terrorism

Your last two lines smack of hate and bigotry.

Where and when did he say it is SOLELY a religion of peace? Wonderfully little deceptive adverb you snuck on in there.

NO group, religion or otherwise, can be characterized as SOLELY anything because human individual are not identical nor do the function and interpret thing identically.

Nibs

Deutreronomy 13

similar idea, right?

I know that the Bible contains such barbarism. That´s why i started my post with: "It always depends on, how a religion and their book is handled" and we do not have a global terror war in the name of the Bible.