Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 5 votes

What is the scariest movie?

• Please log in to reply
601 replies to this topic

#421    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

• Finite to fail, infinite to venture!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

Don't watch the second descent, it's godAWFUL!! The first was one of the best horrors made in the last twenty years, not exactly a difficult achievement but it was an interesting movie, full of claustrophobia and nail biting situations and truly ruthless creatures. The psychological layer is effective and you'll never look at a cave the same way again!

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#422    dm08

dm08

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:53 AM

I finally came across a copy of The Descent a few months ago and I was very excited to watch it after all of the great reviews I read and heard.  However, I was very disappointed.  I liked the premise at first, but the monsters just made it too "over the top" for me to like it.  To each his/her own, of course.

#423    morino

morino

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

• When fire rains down from the sky mankind will reap what it has sown...

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:22 AM

the entity(1980);great movie based on a true story.a woman is being raped and tortured by a powerful spirit.9/10.

#424    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• 1,606 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

The Descent is great until the creatures become fully formed and understood in the viewers mind, it is great until that moment, they are over used and it becomes your basic survival horror concept. Still a great effort and a solid 7 out of 10 in my opinion.

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#425    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,666 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:02 AM

View Posttendo, on 05 February 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

The paranormal activity movies creep me out and leave me quite paranoid. Paranormal Entity was good as far as getting jumps, and the use of a 'local legend' sort of background was done very well. Ju-On is very scary; the Japanese know what they're doing. Apartment 143, Paranormal Activity style, but a little more overt; quite a fun watch. VHS...the overplot was stupid, but each individual subplot was pretty good, definitely creepy, especially the attic scene, and surrounding story. While it wasn't the greatest, the Devil Inside kept my attention. The Ward, while cheesy, was also good. It kept me guessing for quite a while. Lovely Molly was weird. Poltergeist was my first scary movie and freaked me out for weeks after seeing it. The Descent was also good, I haven't seen the sequels yet, though. Sublime was amazing. The most unexpected one, though, was Grave Encounters; definitely cheesy, but quality scares. This thread is great. It's giving me so many great movie ideas!
You got some great movies in your list there. I have seen all of them.
I have a few that you might have missed out on.

After Life

Below

Case 39

The.Objectiv

Lamke Mungo  (this was a good one)

Pontypool

Sesseion 9

The Bunker

The Devil's Rock

The.Five.People.You.Meet.In.Heaven

Death of a Ghost Hunter

Let me know what you though of them

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#426    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• 1,606 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:43 AM

Poltergeist has a few disconcerting moments but is mostly comprised of fairground scares, a good movie with brilliant effects however. The film is innovative and compelling but it just doesn't scare me. Probably because I am extremely interested in the content and somewhat desensitized :su

#427    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

View PostDancingCorpse, on 15 February 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

The Descent is great until the creatures become fully formed and understood in the viewers mind, it is great until that moment, they are over used and it becomes your basic survival horror concept. Still a great effort and a solid 7 out of 10 in my opinion.
I think the scary thing about it is that there in an enclosed space and then theres the creatures in there and there starting to not trust eachother. It gets intense.  By the way its NOTHING like the book.

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x, 15 February 2013 - 09:58 PM.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#428    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• 1,606 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:53 AM

Oya the claustrophobia definitely cranks up the venom in the atmosphere. It's strange how caves haven't been too prevalent in movies (Batcave aside :D) I guess cause they're such annoying places to convey onscreen. The lighting is really effective in this film too, I like the contrast with the pre-caving section and how the relationships play out down there. Didn't know it was based on a book, I'm usually adamant on reading content before screen transition too!

#429    tendo

tendo

Psychic Spy

• 1,503 posts

• Madness is the emergency exit.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

View PostEllJay, on 15 February 2013 - 03:02 AM, said:

You got some great movies in your list there. I have seen all of them.
I have a few that you might have missed out on.

After Life

Below

Case 39

The.Objectiv

Lamke Mungo  (this was a good one)

Pontypool

Sesseion 9

The Bunker

The Devil's Rock

The.Five.People.You.Meet.In.Heaven

Death of a Ghost Hunter

Let me know what you though of them

Case 39 was good, but too predictable...I saw right where it was going, however that little girl did a stellar job, both in that movie and Silent Hill. Session 9 is also good, what I've seen that is. I've started watching it several times and then fallen asleep. Not because it's boring or anything, but because I started it late at night. The others, though, I'll look into them. Death of a Ghost Hunter is or was on Netflix, so that will be the first one I check out. Thanks!

#430    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• 1,606 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:28 AM

Session 9 is definitely worth a watch, a couple creepy moments, excellent location and good psychology behind it.

#431    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:50 AM

Good old fashioned fear-horror comes int he form of the Air-Duct scene in Alien (1979)...masterful. A guy I worked with is still too afraid to watch that scene...lel.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#432    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• 1,606 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Alien is definitely a classic. The best aspect of it imo is how it bleeds acid cause they need to be inventive in trying to take it out, not a particularly pleasant creature to be on the same ship with either, persistent and relentless!

#433    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

View PostDancingCorpse, on 15 February 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

The women in The Decent get a 10 out 10 in my opinion. Why waste screen time in a horror movie with male actors?

#434    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• 1,606 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

They pack more of a punch than 90% of guys in horror movies too, Juno is goddamn lethal!

#435    TwilightSilver

TwilightSilver

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

"The Thing". John Carpenter's version with Kurt Russell. It doesn't so much bother me now, but it did when I was younger. It gave me awful nightmares for weeks; especially the scene with the Husky.....I still have a hard time watching that scene.....:(

"I'm struggling to say what I want to... but you hurt my brain so much with your nonsense..."

Quote of the week: "When are people going to learn? The rapture is like a health inspection. They don't anounce when they're coming, otherwise you could let things go all year and clean everything up right before they come. The plan is to catch you off guard, so they can see what state things are kept in an on going basis." - ZeddKnite

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users