Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Christie goes after libertarians hard

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,611 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Washington Post said:

ASPEN, Colo. — New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie ® on Thursday offered a clear broadside against Republicans drifting toward a more libertarian view of foreign policy, lumping Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) in with them and suggesting they explain their position to victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

The House earlier this week narrowly voted against a reduction in funding for the National Security Agency, as libertarian-leaning members from both sides joined together to vote for the amendment.

“As a former prosecutor who was appointed by President George W. Bush on Sept. 10, 2001, I just want us to be really cautious, because this strain of libertarianism that’s going through both parties right now and making big headlines, I think, is a very dangerous thought,” Christie said.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

What a RHINO -- he probably weighs as much as one too! Ha! :lol:

Posted Image

#3    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,206 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

Election is coming up, it is really sad to see a governor trying to get re-elected by slyly saying those with liberal views are supporters of the maniacs who flew the planes into the world trade centers and pentagon, very very sad desperate attempt to elicit followers.

Thomas Paine wrote in The Age of Reason that “Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous execution, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the word of God."
Jewish gematria # 629:
The holy bible
Demonic inspiration

#4    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,651 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

Election is coming up, it is really sad to see a governor trying to get re-elected by slyly saying those with liberal views are supporters of the maniacs who flew the planes into the world trade centers and pentagon, very very sad desperate attempt to elicit followers.

Unfortunately he has a point. The same Libertains are arming themselves to the teeth so that they can throw off this "corrupt and oppressive" regime - as their second amendment right entitles them to.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 26 July 2013 - 02:25 PM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#5    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Title of the thread - Christie goes after libertarians — hard...  And so far, not an innuendo in sight..lol

*face palms herself for that one *

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 26 July 2013 - 04:32 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#6    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

Christie the Hut needs to back it up "beep-beep-beep"...

The populist libertarian lean of some of the Republicans is kinda refreshing...sort of.

I will wait to see who the actual Libertarian party puts up front. I voted Libertarian in 2008 and 2012...I have my suspicions I will vote Libertarian in 2016...I agree with 85- 90% of the Libertarian platform...can't say that about the typical Republican platform...even if they start "leaning" a little more and more toward "true" libertarian views, they still have quite a way to go to convince me they are for big freedom and small gov.   Telling someone what they can put in their body or what they can take out IS NOT freedom and does not allow for smaller Gov and bureaucracy...someone has to enforce their regulations.

I will say...I like Rand Paul. I am still a bit skittish of him for his rollover and endorsement of Romney while his dad was still in the hunt...to me, that was low brow and bad form...but that is just me. He will have to continue as he has since the filibuster to keep my attention. I am on his email list if that says anything.  His brand of "libertarianism" isn't "true" Libertarianism...it's just selfishness.

Christie...I'm not sure what to say...he seems like a "wiseguy" wannabe. Many people think his rollover and kiss up to Obama was a terrible thing after Superstorm Sandy...I understand that he was buttering the bread to get to the top of the disaster relief list...  He did what he had to do for his state (whether I agree or disagree is irrelevant)...but it made him look bad at the same time to his "party".

Edited by Jeremiah65, 26 July 2013 - 04:38 PM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#7    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,903 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

Most people are arming strictly for defensive purposes. Cause at the rate our liberties are being dismantled, if it continues, one day they are going to cross a line and there will be no turning back. If you dont already have guns by then, it will be to late. Make no mistake, if something happens, they will be the agressors.

Anyhow, as the hearts and minds of the people slowly starting turning back tward a thirst for freedom, comments like these are expected from establishment scum. It wont change anyones mind, but it will only serve to divide further. Its one thing to have political differences, but when a guy like Christie lables a entire movement as dangerous, its only gonna make his followers filled with unwarrented fear.

As for his comments on 9/11, its the families of the victoms who were first calling for a independent investigation. So for him to say they should explain their position to victims of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, is BS. The living victoms have been asking YOU to explain your position on 9/11. Of course anyone who reads the PNAC report from the same year, gets a clear explaination of thier position.

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 26 July 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

Title of the thread - Christie goes after libertarians — hard...  And so far, not an innuendo in sight..lol

*face palms herself for that one *
I love you BM, you are great.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#8    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,903 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 26 July 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

Christie the Hut needs to back it up "beep-beep-beep"...

The populist libertarian lean of some of the Republicans is kinda refreshing...sort of.

I will wait to see who the actual Libertarian party puts up front. I voted Libertarian in 2008 and 2012...I have my suspicions I will vote Libertarian in 2016...I agree with 85- 90% of the Libertarian platform...can't say that about the typical Republican platform...even if they start "leaning" a little more and more toward "true" libertarian views, they still have quite a way to go to convince me they are for big freedom and small gov.   Telling someone what they can put in their body or what they can take out IS NOT freedom and does not allow for smaller Gov and bureaucracy...someone has to enforce their regulations.

I will say...I like Rand Paul. I am still a bit skittish of him for his rollover and endorsement of Romney while his dad was still in the hunt...to me, that was low brow and bad form...but that is just me. He will have to continue as he has since the filibuster to keep my attention. I am on his email list if that says anything.  His brand of "libertarianism" isn't "true" Libertarianism...it's just selfishness.

Christie...I'm not sure what to say...he seems like a "wiseguy" wannabe. Many people think his rollover and kiss up to Obama was a terrible thing after Superstorm Sandy...I understand that he was buttering the bread to get to the top of the disaster relief list...  He did what he had to do for his state (whether I agree or disagree is irrelevant)...but it made him look bad at the same time to his "party".

Man its like you are reading my mind. The only difference is im even more critical of Rand Paul. Though Id vote for him if he made the ticket.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#9    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

As far as the 9-11 comments from Jabba....

Let me outline a Libertarian scenario that is so simple and yet profound.

Had we not been trampling over the middle east for decades to exploit their resources purely for globalist corporate profit...those people would not have hated us so much and would not have had a reason to "retaliate" (in their mind anyway) against the great Satan.

Our meddling and exploitation have made us pretty much hated all over the world.  Sure, we pay off some countries so they can spread propaganda back home that "they love us"...but that is not the truth.  If we would have kept our troops home, secured our national security, fairly traded AND let countries tend to their own sovereign affairs....the tragedy of 9-11 would never have happened...

I know, someone is going to bring up Kuwait and that was different because they were invaded and specifically pleaded for help...everything before and after has been for "something else" besides "spreading democracy"...it's called resource exploitation and profit....for the super mega corporations.  Deep down...we all know this.

Just my opinion though...

Edited by Jeremiah65, 26 July 2013 - 04:53 PM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#10    Kowalski

Kowalski

• 4,102 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 26 July 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

As for his comments on 9/11, its the families of the victoms who were first calling for a independent investigation. So for him to say they should explain their position to victims of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, is BS. The living victoms have been asking YOU to explain your position on 9/11. Of course anyone who reads the PNAC report from the same year, gets a clear explaination of thier position.

View PostJeremiah65, on 26 July 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

Had we not been trampling over the middle east for decades to exploit their resources purely for globalist corporate profit...those people would not have hated us so much and would not have had a reason to "retaliate" (in their mind anyway) against the great Satan.

Our meddling and exploitation have made us pretty much hated all over the world.  Sure, we pay off some countries so they can spread propaganda back home that "they love us"...but that is not the truth.  If we would have kept our troops home, secured our national security, fairly traded AND let countries tend to their own sovereign affairs....the tragedy of 9-11 would never have happened...

I know, someone is going to bring up Kuwait and that was different because they were invaded and specifically pleaded for help...everything before and after has been for "something else" besides "spreading democracy"...it's called resource exploitation and profit....for the super mega corporations.  Deep down...we all know this.

Just my opinion though…

X: The organizing principle of any society, Mr. Garrison, is for war. The authority of the state over its people resides in its war powers.

#11    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,047 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 26 July 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

Most people are arming strictly for defensive purposes. Cause at the rate our liberties are being dismantled, if it continues, one day they are going to cross a line and there will be no turning back. If you dont already have guns by then, it will be to late. Make no mistake, if something happens, they will be the agressors.

You have to agree that this is paranoia.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#12    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,038 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

"ASPEN, Colo. — New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie ® on Thursday offered a clear broadside against Republicans drifting toward a more libertarian view of foreign policy, lumping Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) in with them and suggesting they explain their position to victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks."
I'd be interested to see how Gov. Christie ™ thinks that American foreign policy over the last decade has had anything to do with 9/11.  

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 26 July 2013 - 08:16 PM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#13    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,038 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 26 July 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

Just my opinion though...
This is one area where i agree very much with the Libertarian point of view, I have to say.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#14    Kowalski

Kowalski

• 4,102 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

Christie, Paul highlight GOP debate over security

WASHINGTON (AP) — A rift over national security is developing in the early stages of the Republican Party's next presidential campaign, pitting libertarians who question government overreach against defenders of a more hawkish approach on national security formed after the 2001 terrorist attacks.

During a forum Thursday night in Aspen, Colo., New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie pointed to a "strain of libertarianism" coursing through both parties as a "very dangerous thought" more than a decade after the Sept. 11 attacks. Christie was asked whether he was referring to Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, a potential presidential candidate who has been at the forefront of the party's libertarian wing.

"You can name any number of people and he's one of them," said Christie, noting his state suffered the second-most casualties in the hijacked airliner attacks on New York and Washington, which killed nearly 3,000 people. "These esoteric, intellectual debates — I want them to come to New Jersey and sit across from the widows and the orphans and have that conversation. And they won't, because that's a much tougher conversation to have."

Paul responded Friday on Twitter, saying Christie "worries about the dangers of freedom. I worry about the danger of losing that freedom. Spying without warrants is unconstitutional."

For Republicans, the national security debate offers a window into an evolving party that nearly a decade ago re-elected President George W. Bush, in part, on the basis of his administration's hard-line response to the terror attacks and use of tools provided by the USA Patriot Act, which gave the administration the powers to search records and conduct roving wiretaps in pursuit of terrorists. It also serves notice that whoever hopes to claim the GOP nomination in 2016 may need to fuse factions within the party on national security.

Link: http://news.yahoo.co...-193205422.html

Posted Image

#15    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,739 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

This seems fitting lol

Posted Image

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users