Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

'Marriage Equality' Includes Polygamy'

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#16    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 18 April 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

The other important word was ADULT.  Legal adult.

You can't enter into a legal contract with a minor.

Nibs

You can get married before 18, at least in Florida, with your parents consent. I used to have a young lady that worked for me. She was married at 15 and got a court order declaring her no longer a minor, so the labor laws applying to minors didn't apply to her (how many hours a day/week she could work, how late she could work on a "school" night, etc.).

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#17    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,593 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

View PostKowalski, on 18 April 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

does that mean women can have more than one husband too?

See, then you'd have to make a lot more sandwiches. The other way around, you chicks can take turns making just one.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#18    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,499 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

My whole argument here is that on a long enough, liberal enough timeline, eventually anything can become acceptable. Everyone in every niche will fight for equal rights - so how/where do we place immovable boundries?

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#19    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,810 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 18 April 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

Yeah, but why would we want to?

;)

Nibs

Because one man never seems to be able to achieve the levels of perfection demanded of him by his wife!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#20    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 18 April 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

Yeah, but why would we want to?

;)

Nibs

Well I personally wouldn't, I can't stand the one I got, but usually its men that get to marry more than one spouse, not women. Just wondering if this WAS too happen, would women get to have more than one husband also? Just a thought.

#21    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• 1,633 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 18 April 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

My whole argument here is that on a long enough, liberal enough timeline, eventually anything can become acceptable. Everyone in every niche will fight for equal rights - so how/where do we place immovable boundries?

Why should we place "immovable" boundries? Perceptions change over time, why shouldn't we have the ability to change the laws also? At one time interracial marriages were "wrong", now they are accepted by all but the most ignorant amongst us.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#22    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,499 posts

include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

View PostBama13, on 18 April 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

Why should we place "immovable" boundries? Perceptions change over time, why shouldn't we have the ability to change the laws also? At one time interracial marriages were "wrong", now they are accepted by all but the most ignorant amongst us.

Ah so by that logic, pedos will have their time eventually no?
(Don't be spooked by all the pedo talk - it's all for the sake of the discussion!)

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#23    RavenHawk

RavenHawk

Poltergeist

• 2,986 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

My whole argument here is that on a long enough, liberal enough timeline, eventually anything can become acceptable.
I dont think that is liberal, just common sense.  Times change, perceptions change, sensibilities change.  Now I might agree that it is liberals who take advantage of it most of the time.  Although you do have to consider the possibility of anything becoming acceptable but I dont see how pedophilia could ever be acceptable.  There are physical and mental limitations here.  A juvenile is not responsible for their own consent.  They are not developed.

Everyone in every niche will fight for equal rights - so how/where do we place immovable boundries?
Shouldnt everyone fight for equal rights in their niche?  Isnt that what America is all about?  As far as relationships go, the consenting adult/juvenile boundary seems to work fine.

*Signature removed* Forum Rules

#24    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,936 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 18 April 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

(Don't be spooked by all the pedo talk - it's all for the sake of the discussion!)

Well you could argue that pedophilia has already been considered legal. In the distant past the ages of consent was lower and so what would be termed pedophilia today wasn't as frowned upon as it is now.

For pedophilia to be legal would require a massive social change and I highly doubt such a thing would ever happen. Sure, it could, but the possibility would be remote (and allowing same sex marriage or polygamy would have no baring on it happening whatsoever).

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
Where are those droideka?
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#25    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,172 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

Harm to non-consenting parties is the only reasonable long term boundary. its just a matter of time before we approach it.
Just to clarify - informed consent between people of an age to give consent recognised by the law. It is almost impossible that in a liberal democracy that it will ever allow a 10year old to consent to having sex with a 40 year old.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 18 April 2013 - 07:07 PM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#26    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,172 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 18 April 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

It has been addressed numerous times here - CONSENT !!!!!

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#27    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,499 posts

include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 18 April 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

It has been addressed numerous times here - CONSENT !!!!!

Br Cornelius

Minors are obviously capable of giving consent: they understand the concept of "yes" and "no". It's whether or not we as society deem them capable of fully understanding the situation in which they are required to give that consent that will render their consent to be legally acceptable.

Edited by Dark_Grey, 18 April 2013 - 07:10 PM.

#28    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,936 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 18 April 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

Minors are obviously capable of giving consent: they understand the concept of "yes" and "no". It's whether or not we as society deem them capable of fully understanding the situation in which they are required to give that consent that will render their consent to be legally acceptable.

A parrot can be trained to say yes and no. That does not mean it knows what the words actually mean.

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
Where are those droideka?
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#29    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,172 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 18 April 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

I think you are on very shaky ground there.
It is possible to manipulate an adult into consenting to something that is against their interests, but it is far easier to do the same to a minor. The law recognizes that and acts to make the burden fall on the adult rather than the child.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#30    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

Well I for one do not like to share some things and I think a husband with another woman would be one of them.  Look how many problems it causes when cheating happens.  A marriage should be between two people and two people only.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users