Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UM-X update on-line

Saru

Our main site update UM-X ( version 10 ) is now live and on-line.

UM-X is a massive overhaul of the design and coding of our main site with an emphasis on speed and navigation. Our front page, news, column, video and encyclopedia sections have received an overhaul, the left-hand side navigation menu has been replaced with a tabs and breadcrumbs style navigation at the top of the page and the site search has been substantially improved upon.

A few other specific changes include:

- More prominent top stories on the front page

- News story and video page "next and back" browsing

- Videos are now much larger and are shown in widescreen

- News and video pages now include forum comment previews underneath

- A complete update of the encyclopedia section entries

In addition this update serves as the foundation for a series of future updates and improvements that weren't possible before, some other parts of the site such as the image gallery will also be seeing a facelift before too long.

As the new design is still very new it might take a bit of time to get used to it however i'm hoping it will prove to be quicker, easier to use and help provide a lot more news, articles and other topical content to our visitors. If you run in to any errors, broken links or anything else of that nature please let me know and of course as with any update constructive feedback is always welcome.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• behaviour???

• thefinalfrontier

• InnerSpace

wow talk about a change, The front page is completley different with no links on right hand side,

It looks fantastic Saru....

But the page shows I am a guest even after logging in.....and I have zero messages even though I have one waiting to be read

Thanks

B???

Edited by behaviour???

It looks fantastic Saru....

But the page shows I am a guest even after logging in.....and I have zero messages even though I have one waiting to be read

Thanks

B???

same here, Its showing me as a guest but when I come back to the forums it shows me signed in,

Confirmed this is a bug, working on it now.

Confirmed this is a bug, working on it now.

:)

Best Of Luck

I am so sorry to report this to you just when you announced the update has gone online

Edited by behaviour???

On the front page it is a very long scroll down the page to see the storys at the bottom, Would it behove us to try and get them side by side?, Just a thought,

On the front page it is a very long scroll down the page to see the storys at the bottom, Would it behove us to try and get them side by side?, Just a thought,

Still we have to scroll towards the side right?

Thanks

B???

Best Of Luck

I am so sorry to report this to you just when you announced the update has gone online

Not at all, its always appreciated when people let me know about errors and bugs on the site.

That's the login indicator on the home page working now. :tu:

I don't think there's enough room to place the news stories side by side in any practical manner to be honest, the old site design also scrolled down a fair bit on the front page, its the easiest way to fit all the content in.

Just to add that i'm still tweaking things so it may still take a short while for everything to be at optimum performance.

I loved the background picture given in each section but Will the forums receive the same banner like Homepage?...I think that's more better than the one the forums presently enjoys...

Thanks

B???

That would be very difficult to do on the forums but i won't say never.

I went into the Encyclopedia and I am so sorry to note.......But couldn't we add more Information about each one in the Wikipedia?

Thanks

B???

Anyone can become a Wikipedia editor I believe however its not something i've ever considered doing, the material is far more beneficial to the site here than it would be if it was just added to existing Wikipedia articles.

Anyone can become a Wikipedia editor I believe however its not something i've ever considered doing, the material is far more beneficial to the site here than it would be if it was just added to existing Wikipedia articles.

But it would be more beneficial for the site visitors if more information is added

Thanks

B???

A system facilitating encyclopedia entry additions by site visitors is a possibility.

Looks good, great job Saru. Well done :tu:

Saru - Have attempted to provide a link in the "Crypto" column, subhead "Careers". Four attempts today. Repeated response - 501 error. Possible glitch in the new system? The source is quite reputable, i.e. archaeology.org. Please inform. Thanks!

Swede

Edited by Swede

Any chance the Search Function can be returned to the time when the post you were looking for was shown in its entirety? When you're looking for someone's specific post, it's really hard to find it if all you can see is the first line of the post. Even going through your own post history is difficult to find an old entry since the same issue occurs.

This isn't unique to the new system though. The Search Function has been changed for a while now. But since we're talking about bugs and alterations to the site, I thought I'd bring this up to see if we can get it fixed :)

Other than that, the new layout looks all clear and above board. Good job Saru :tsu:

Edited by Paranoid Android

Good work, Saru!