Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dolphins recognized as non-human persons

redhen

Yup, that's what I think of them too. If they had an opposing digit they could use to grip and make tools with, well they would be so much smarter - aw heck, no they wouldn't bother with all that tech stuff even then, they are far too intelligent to mess with perfection and boy do they milk the perfection of their environment and their adaptation to it for all it's worth, clever animals to get so much life out of living with nothing more useful than flippers, a tail, and a quirky smile, I love them.

• Like 5

The are smart and one of these days we had better hope they don't put us on display.

• Like 2

If you have ever seen the 1960's American TV series "Flipper," you would know that dolphins are always 'smiling,' constantly cheerful, mostly cooperative, play well with each other, appear to enjoy life and have never been known to start a war---clearly not anywhere near human. . .

• Like 2

What's with all the other super smart animals? You either do this to all of them, or to none.

If you have ever seen the 1960's American TV series "Flipper," you would know that dolphins are always 'smiling,' constantly cheerful, mostly cooperative, play well with each other, appear to enjoy life and have never been known to start a war---clearly not anywhere near human. . .

That's not the case at all. It's a TV show. Do you think collies act like Lessie, and horses like Fury?

Edited by FLOMBIE
  • Like 4

Except they attack porpoises on sight for no apparent reason.

• Like 4

Yup, that's what I think of them too. If they had an opposing digit they could use to grip and make tools with, well they would be so much smarter - aw heck, no they wouldn't bother with all that tech stuff even then, they are far too intelligent to mess with perfection and boy do they milk the perfection of their environment and their adaptation to it for all it's worth, clever animals to get so much life out of living with nothing more useful than flippers, a tail, and a quirky smile, I love them.

In some fantasy world, but in reality (as Almagest pointed out, already):
But perhaps the most perplexing assassin is none other than Flipper. Bottlenose dolphin males target harbor porpoises, ramming and lacerating them to death by the dozen. Though related to bottlenoses, porpoises eat different fish, so are not competing for resources. Scientists suspect that bottlenose males may be practicing baby-killing techniques. Dolphin young are about the same size as porpoises and are also frequent victims of adult aggression, for a logical reason from the male's point of view: A mother dolphin will not breed--unless her calf dies young.
(link; emphasis mine)
  • Like 2

Indeed. People should stop seeing them as magical creatures. They have flaws - just like any other animal.

• Like 4

What's with all the other super smart animals? You either do this to all of them, or to none.

Like dogs.

Do you think collies act like Lessie,

Yes, but only in some ways.

• Like 2

Like dogs.

And cats, crows, pigs, orcas, great apes, wolves, etc.. The list is darn long.

Yes, but only in some ways.

Probably. I'm sure you know better than I do, but I guess you know what I meant to say. :)

Indeed. People should stop seeing them as magical creatures. They have flaws - just like any other animal.

Like humans. :tu:

• Like 3

"India has officially recognized dolphins as non-human persons,"

=========================================================

This coming from a country who have nuclear weapons!

1353959072095.gif

• Like 1

Were gonna have to have a dolphin police force i think. Cos just like humans some of them are thieving , kidnapping, raping, murdering b*******.

We have quite alot in common.

• Like 1

Alma, I think that's only when the oceanic beasts adhere to different religions.

I'm pretty sure if a different species was observing the human race they would say we attack a great many things for no apparent reason, not least of which is each other and specifically what we feel is different in each other, a "non-human person" sharing in that attribute is hardly a surprise.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure if a different species was observing the human race they would say we attack a great many things for no apparent reason, not least of which is each other and specifically what we feel is different in each other, a "non-human person" sharing in that attribute is hardly a surprise.

You made a good point, libstaK--my tongue is still in my cheek. . .

According to this Deutsche Welle article;

"India has officially recognized dolphins as non-human persons, whose rights to life and liberty must be respected. Dolphin parks that were being built across the country will instead be shut down."

... and thanks for all the fish. :)

That is great News!

• Like 2

According to this Deutsche Welle article;

"India has officially recognized dolphins as non-human persons, whose rights to life and liberty must be respected. Dolphin parks that were being built across the country will instead be shut down."

... and thanks for all the fish. :)

Superb move India! They'll be a few more on the list that we don't officially even know about I suspect!

Ice Age Giants

Firstly 10/10 BBC for a fantastic show! Secondly, I have a 30yr-in-the-making left-field solution to the megafauna paradox; it's Jupiter's 100ky cycle which gives extra equatorial tidal strength to the Earth's oceans, even pushing warm currents into the Arctic Basin at times. This is the trigger for the onset of a Heinrich event when the glacial thickness has built-up sufficiently enough. Following this logic, it makes sense to assume that it's the Moon which provides the new-science millennial cycle found in the Greenland ice core data. Many thanks for listening.
Edited by RingFenceTheCity

Alma, I think that's only when the oceanic beasts adhere to different religions.

Dolphins are Protestant and Porpoises are Catholic. :P

• Like 1

"India has officially recognized dolphins as non-human persons,"

=========================================================

This coming from a country who have nuclear weapons!

1353959072095.gif

And your point is?

• Like 1

And your point is?

My point is if they only just found out that a dolphin is non human then they should not be having nuclear weapons! Its not rocket science......actually!

• Like 1

My point is if they only just found out that a dolphin is non human then they should not be having nuclear weapons! Its not rocket science......actually!

ummm..trying to make sense of your post feels like rocket science to me..I am trying to figure out how nuclear weapons are connected to Dolphins. Are you talking about underwater testing? and what do you suggest that India does with its nuclear weapons?

Edited by your_dark_passenger
  • Like 1

ummm..trying to make sense of your post feels like rocket science to me..I am trying to figure out how nuclear weapons are connected to Dolphins. Are you talking about underwater testing? and what do you suggest that India does with its nuclear weapons?

Ditto, trying to make sense of yours is like rocket science to me!

Do not know where you are getting the connected to dolphins bit or underwater testing, whats all that about?

I am anti nuclear weapons full stop, no matter what country has them, and feel even more uneasy knowing that a country which do not know a dolphin is non human has been given the responsibility of having a nuclear weapon. Is that clear enough?

• Like 1