Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Glowing blue eyes in the woods

lilmemer24

let me explain my encounter. i live in the united state in texas, south texas very close to the mexican border. i live in a small town named roma. about 10 thousand people. i was in my house around 9:30 and i received a call from my friend saying he wanted to go hunting for wild pigs at my ranch using high powered led flashlights. so off we went to my ranch about 5 miles away from my house and we parked the truck in my aunts house. (she lives in the ranch) my aunt has 2 chihuahuas loose so they accompanied us on the walk. we decided to walk so we wont scare off the pig,s if there was any. my ranch is about 100 acres big so yea we had a good walk ahead of us. my friend had his 17 remington sniper rifle and i had my 444 marlin wich is a bullet that can literally kill elephants so i wasnt scared of facing anything. we walked and using the spotlight to try to see if we could catch a glimpse of any pigs but nothing. we approached my deer blind (where a hunter stays and waits for deers when hunting) and we heard the owls screeching and i knew they invaded my deer blind. we shinned the light and we could see 2 and my friend shot and killed 1 and injured the other which surely died as it flew elsewhere. at this point we were half way through the walking trip so it wa time to circle around then head back to the truck. but as soon as we started our trip back my friend was kind of scared of the owls and kept looking back lol but as he was looking back my eyes adjusted to the dark and i stopped just to look around to see if i could spot anything. the moon was half lit so we had a good visual of our surroundings even with the ights off but with no possibility of the moon light reflecting or making anything glow since the clouds were out. as i stood i saw a blue light in the distance. i asked me friend if he saw it but then it disappeared. as we looked for it it popped up again this time on the same road we were in and he told me yes i see it. we stood there wondering what it was. it vanished again then as before appeared again but even closer, this time revealing 2 eyes kind of in oval shape moving towards us around 30 feet away. remember our lights were off so our eyes were adjusted to the dark and i couldnt distinguish any body shap at all and the dogs with us didnt bark or show any reaction to these eyes. ( the eyes would appear for about 3 seconds then close making them disappear for another 3 seconds and they would show again) as we saw the first pair, off in the distance we could distinguish about 4 other pairs. these couldnt of been fireflies because we saw the pair of eyes, plus they were blue. and the were not stationary, they moved towards us. then as those first eyes reached the 30 feet range between us we got freaked out and started to speed walk and take another route back to my truck. as we speed walked for about 200 feet we stopped on a small hill and looked back. which at a total of roughly 300 feet( the detour made us walk about 100 feet one way then the 200 down the road) between the eyes and us. we could still see them. if the lights were some type of insects or bioluminescent plants i dont think we could see them from that distance. my friend and i agreed that we didnt wanna stick around to find out. we got to my truck and we left my ranch at around 1130 pm. the landscape of m ranch is mostly small tress and shrubs since we live in a desert type of environment. small mesquite trees and other similar trees no more than 10-15 feet tall (all trees in the region are no more taller than this) so this is my experience. id appreciate it if anyone knows what is going on, what those things were. in addition multiple friends and i like 2 or 3 weeks later experienced this phenomena again at like around 11 or 12 at night.

Welcome....

Sorry - I couldn't read your post.

The lines bleed into one another.

Paragraphs help :tu:

• Like 6

Sorry but I couldn't read it either because of lack of paragraghs.

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 3

Yeah, if someone wants to sum up for me and the others, that would be great. And, OP, don't cut and paste your stories in the future.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard
  • Like 3

"but as soon as we started our trip back my friend was kind of scared of the owls and kept looking back lol but as he was looking back my eyes adjusted to the dark and i stopped just to look around to see if i could spot anything. "

If your friend got scared of owls, why did you stop to have a look around to see if you could spot anything?

Could have been a deer or raccoon. The tapetum lucidum is a layer of tissue in the eyes of most vertebrates (excluding humans) that reflect light.

• Like 2

Some dogs have eyes that glow blue in the dark. And as for shooting owls, I'm not sure about Texas but in some states shooting a bird of prey is strickly agains't the law, better be careful doing that the fines can be really high.

• Like 4

Could have been a deer or raccoon. The tapetum lucidum is a layer of tissue in the eyes of most vertebrates (excluding humans) that reflect light.

He mentioned that his Jeeps lights were OFF & it was a half moon that night. They were looking with naked eyes. Animal eyes would reflect to what light sir?

Edited by Hudds

• 1 month later...

let me explain my encounter. i live in the united state in Texas, south Texas very close to the Mexican border. i live in a small town named roma. about 10 thousand people. i was in my house around 9:30 and i received a call from my friend saying he wanted to go hunting for wild pigs at my ranch using high powered led flashlights. so off we went to my ranch about 5 miles away from my house and we parked the truck in my aunts house. (she lives in the ranch) my aunt has 2 chihuahuas loose so they accompanied us on the walk.

we decided to walk so we wont scare off the pig,s if there was any. my ranch is about 100 acres big so yea we had a good walk ahead of us. my friend had his 17 Remington sniper rifle and i had my 444 marlin which is a bullet that can literally kill elephants so i wasn't scared of facing anything. we walked and using the spotlight to try to see if we could catch a glimpse of any pigs but nothing. we approached my deer blind (where a hunter stays and waits for deers when hunting) and we heard the owls screeching and i knew they invaded my deer blind. we shinned the light and we could see 2 and my friend shot and killed 1 and injured the other which surely died as it flew elsewhere. at this point we were half way through the walking trip so it was time to circle around then head back to the truck. but as soon as we started our trip back my friend was kind of scared of the owls and kept looking back lol but as he was looking back my eyes adjusted to the dark and i stopped just to look around to see if i could spot anything.

the moon was half lit so we had a good visual of our surroundings even with the lights off but with no possibility of the moon light reflecting or making anything glow since the clouds were out. as i stood i saw a blue light in the distance. i asked me friend if he saw it but then it disappeared. as we looked for it it popped up again this time on the same road we were in and he told me yes i see it. we stood there wondering what it was. it vanished again then as before appeared again but even closer, this time revealing 2 eyes kind of in oval shape moving towards us around 30 feet away. remember our lights were off so our eyes were adjusted to the dark and i couldn't distinguish any body shape at all and the dogs with us didn't bark or show any reaction to these eyes. ( the eyes would appear for about 3 seconds then close making them disappear for another 3 seconds and they would show again) as we saw the first pair, off in the distance we could distinguish about 4 other pairs.

these couldn't of been fireflies because we saw the pair of eyes, plus they were blue. and the were not stationary, they moved towards us. then as those first eyes reached the 30 feet range between us we got freaked out and started to speed walk and take another route back to my truck. as we speed walked for about 200 feet we stopped on a small hill and looked back. which at a total of roughly 300 feet( the detour made us walk about 100 feet one way then the 200 down the road) between the eyes and us. we could still see them. if the lights were some type of insects or bio-luminescent plants i don't think we could see them from that distance.

my friend and i agreed that we didn't wanna stick around to find out. we got to my truck and we left my ranch at around 1130 pm. the landscape of m ranch is mostly small tress and shrubs since we live in a desert type of environment. small mesquite trees and other similar trees no more than 10-15 feet tall (all trees in the region are no more taller than this) so this is my experience. id appreciate it if anyone knows what is going on, what those things were. in addition multiple friends and i like 2 or 3 weeks later experienced this phenomena again at like around 11 or 12 at night.

*paragraph updated version

Why would you shoot and kill 2 owls ?

I did not kill them. my friend did this in his own will it was sudden which i was not expecting.

Some dogs have eyes that glow blue in the dark. And as for shooting owls, I'm not sure about Texas but in some states shooting a bird of prey is strickly agains't the law, better be careful doing that the fines can be really high.

i dont think there could be multiple dogs in on place plus no source of light for eyeshine. and as i mentioned once one pair got really close i could tell they were at least my height. as for the owls my friend did this unexpectedly in which i was not aware.

"but as soon as we started our trip back my friend was kind of scared of the owls and kept looking back lol but as he was looking back my eyes adjusted to the dark and i stopped just to look around to see if i could spot anything. "

If your friend got scared of owls, why did you stop to have a look around to see if you could spot anything?

it is a force of habit. i always check my surroundings when i am in my ranch. common sense.

He mentioned that his Jeeps lights were OFF & it was a half moon that night. They were looking with naked eyes. Animal eyes would reflect to what light sir?

If the moon is bright enough this still happens. Not only this, I'm at least giving a possible explanation. Not everything is paranormal.

Edited by XenoFish

"we walked and using the spotlight to try to see if we could catch a glimpse of any pigs"

Hi, when you say spotlight, do you mean a torch or spotlight from the truck?

If a torch, then why did you turn it on again to see where the lights were coming from?

If from the truck = then you did have lights on.

Not everything is paranormal.

To many around here, everything is.

• Like 6

It's an unfortunate thing. I used to be one of those people. Used to be.

So did I ...:)

• Like 2

If the moon is bright enough this still happens. Not only this, I'm at least giving a possible explanation. Not everything is paranormal.

I didn't think it was anything paranormal, and yes I agree if the moons light was bright enough it can happen.

I was just reminding you that he said the jeeps lights were off at that time.

I didn't think it was anything paranormal, and yes I agree if the moons light was bright enough it can happen.

I am still waiting for a reply to my question in post #15.

rif.jpg

I can do it. It might not seem like it to some of you but I do know how to read. Unless it's a huge block of text then I get all dyslexic.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

I did not kill them. my friend did this in his own will it was sudden which i was not expecting.

Your friend is an idiot and please tell him for me, he should be fined, jailed and his guns taken away. Stay out of the woods at night, if you can't take the time to educate yourself about nature.

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 6

rif.jpg

I can do it. It might not seem like it to some of you but I do know how to read. Unless it's a huge block of text then I get all dyslexic.

I was just reminding you in case you forgot, I didn't mean anything like you can't or didn't read the post. I do understand about large quotes, and you getting all dyslexic. I apologise for any misunderstanding.

Edited by Hudds

If it's a wall of text I have severe trouble reading it. Everything jumbles up. I hate it.

I understand man, it can be a real pain. I'll keep in mind next time.

• Like 1