Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Home problem Need help!

pimppapa1977

OK I have always been extremely skeptical on this subject until now that i havent really slep in a week. Ill try and shorten the story, tonight i am actually going to practice some trouble shooting to see what exactly is going on. I bought my first home last Oct in a small town near Gettysburg after 10 years of submarine Navy service. There were no major things that i took notice of except small pops, creaks , ect; the normal house settling. Last weekend my wife and I made a new furniture purchase along with some Halloween decorations for the new home. On the way home from the store there was a garage sale. My wife purchased 2 old spirit decanters that are marked on the bottom for medicinal purpose only (Prohibition era). I think that is where our problem started. One of the decorations we bought is a set of 2 bells (softball size) painted like pumpkins. They are tied on a piece of 10" ribbon hanging on the inside of my front door. These bells weigh approx 1.5 lbs .

Last Tues night the entire house was awakened by what sounded like someone breaking in the front door at approx 230Am. My daughter was crying as i swept the house to check for intruders. There was noone in the house, I did notice the bells were moving on the locked front door, i also noticed that my cat was sitting there and wrote it off as cat play time and went to bed. Weds afternoon comes and goes and around the same time that night, the same situation. This time louder, i grab my gun,run downstairs as i get to the middle of the steps you can hear what sounds as a man running through my dining room. All the plates rattle ( with loud foot steps). Once again i see my cat and even though i know it sounded like a grown person running i write it off as my cat. This brings me to last night ;and i apologize for the long story but i havent slept and im at work wondering what i should do. Yesterday i make another furniture purchase, a grandfather clock. As i admired it last night, jokingly my wife says i bet we get woke up again my mr or mrs nosey. 1206 AM same sound, bell rings as if someone picked them up and slammed them against the door. My 6 year old woke up againg crying as i do the all too familiar home sec check, gun in hand; and guess what NOTHING... noone in the house nothing. It didnt stop there, i took these damn bells and threw them in my laundry basket in my closet. This would stop right? No this time i hear loud footsteps right up to my bed and a loud Tap on my Gunsafe next to my bed. I situp... Nothing. I lay back down; and then a really hard wack as if to say ha you a*&hole i saw you with your gun. There were more footsteps followed by rummaging in my laundry basket for these stupid bells bought at Michaels art store. They arent antique or anything so whats the attraction? Now what do i do? Current plan is to setup a video camera? should i mess around with EVP? I swear this is real and im going to catch at least the bells moving to prove it. I am worried though becuase i have 2 small children and dont want to open this up any worse. I need real suggestions. Priest? Ignore it? i can take anymore of these nights. Please offer real help.

if you are willing to i'd say first set up a camera where the activity is happening and maybe some audio recordings with the bells back on the door, if this is really affecting you then i suggest getting rid of those bells and if that doesn't change the activity it could be the house, saying that though most poltergeist cases fade after a a couple of weeks to a couple of months but no one wants to live with those experiences for that long

Edited by Grey Britain
  • Like 1

Video camera all the way...You could try EVPs but theres alot of scepticism surrounding them. I think you should keep us updated with as much detail as you can, use your post as a log almost, the more we know, the better we can advise you...One thing thats usually quite effective is to simply ask the entity to stop, just say to it "you're scaring my family and i, i'd like you to stop now" nice and simple.

If your really concerned about the bells maybe throw them away? The thing that stands out for me about this is that perhaps if there is an entity in your house, it likes the bells because it knows it can get your attention if it plays with them. I personally wouldnt get rid of them just yet. If you're absolutely certain, which you sound like you are, that somethings going on, then im sure you would rather it rang those bells than pulled pictures off the wall for instance to make its racket.

i would definitely set the camera, possibly with a night vision (since everything seems to happen during the night). also another thing, you could try spreading flour or something similar on the floor before going to sleep, in the places where you've heard the footsteps. it's quicker than setting the camera and could also work well :)

it's probably something totally natural and since you're new to the house, you're not used to all the specific sounds. it could help if you could talk with the previous owners of the house to see whether they've experienced anything similar.

good luck and please keep us posted :)

Thanks for the replis the house is a new build. I moved in last October and I am quite familiar with the sounds. It is definitely the bells. I have tried debunking by bumping into the door. Ever just swinging them a bit doesnt even come close. If you pick them up and let them slam on the door BINGO! My wife is digging out the old Sony Camcorder with night vision as i type. I am going to set it up again every night until i get the same affect. I will try the powder on the wooden floor as well. I did ask it to leave, well i actually cursed at it and said this is my house i built it get out in Jesus name. That didnt help honestly i think i p***ed it off. I will do the camera tonight and hope to have a good night sleep if i get anything i will post it for everyone to see.

Thanks for the replis the house is a new build. I moved in last October and I am quite familiar with the sounds. It is definitely the bells. I have tried debunking by bumping into the door. Ever just swinging them a bit doesnt even come close. If you pick them up and let them slam on the door BINGO! My wife is digging out the old Sony Camcorder with night vision as i type. I am going to set it up again every night until i get the same affect. I will try the powder on the wooden floor as well. I did ask it to leave, well i actually cursed at it and said this is my house i built it get out in Jesus name. That didnt help honestly i think i p***ed it off. I will do the camera tonight and hope to have a good night sleep if i get anything i will post it for everyone to see.

I attached a picture of my door and the bellspost-56294-040098600 1285004191_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I got the same bells a couple of years ago and hung them on my door, they barely made a sound when the door was opened. You live in a high ghost area don't you? "A small town near Gettysburg" Have you hear of any hauntings around you? What was on that ground before your house was? Research! You need to go do some research find out what was there and what happened in the area. I suspect since it took almost a year for it to start acting up it probably was in the area but not at your location but for some reason it was attracted to your house, I'm sure your not the only one in the neighborhood with bells but they maybe the easiest thing for it to move. Can't wait to see some of your footage. It hasn't hurt anyone, right? Hopefully it won't and until it does it's just noisy. Don't be scared, if it's evil, (Which I doubt) it would just feed it. There aren't any teenagers in the house, right? Poltergiests are attracted to teens and preteens, it's puberty I think, their energy is all over the place and they like that but it usually doesn't last to long, about as long as puberty.

Please do keep in touch.

Hatch.

im excited to see what this turns up ive never seen any video evidence of poltergeist activity

Yeah there has been some activity in my town. The woman who owns the local antique shop had some investigators there a few years back and they even put it in a Ghost Hunting book with a few other short stories. Honestly im ready , i have the alarm guy coming out to fix an issue ( We had a short a few weeks back). I am going to put them in the orginal place tonight with a camera and do it every night until i get something. If that doesnt work i may place downstairs in the basement as i have motion detectors down there with a camera. That way it will really be apparent on what the situation is. My children are 6 and 8 so they have a few years left. You have the same bells? See you know then to get them to make noise you have to pick them up and slam them. Im hoping for a good night sleep tonight but if not I'll be ready. Believe me if it happens again i will have the proof!!!!

I'm assuming the bells are located on the inside of the door/house, correct? I read through this thread and I wasn't sure if I missed out on that point. If that's the case, they seem to be pretty low. I would bet my bottom dollar on the cat scenario.

Edited by Mentalcase

Also, the bells are a security measure, I wouldn't get rid of them unless you prove that it's the cat. Perhaps you can just attach them to the top of the door, where the cat can not reach? That way you can take him out of the senario. I would bet he even dug through the laundry to get at them.

Wow, what an amazing and bizarre situation. This part is downright chilling:

No this time i hear loud footsteps right up to my bed and a loud Tap on my Gunsafe next to my bed. I situp... Nothing. I lay back down; and then a really hard wack as if to say ha you a*&hole i saw you with your gun. There were more footsteps followed by rummaging in my laundry basket for these stupid bells bought at Michaels art store.

Definitely have my interest piqued, although I don't envy you. Good luck man, hope you get some evidence.

Yeah there has been some activity in my town. The woman who owns the local antique shop had some investigators there a few years back and they even put it in a Ghost Hunting book with a few other short stories. Honestly im ready , i have the alarm guy coming out to fix an issue ( We had a short a few weeks back). I am going to put them in the orginal place tonight with a camera and do it every night until i get something. If that doesnt work i may place downstairs in the basement as i have motion detectors down there with a camera. That way it will really be apparent on what the situation is. My children are 6 and 8 so they have a few years left. You have the same bells? See you know then to get them to make noise you have to pick them up and slam them. Im hoping for a good night sleep tonight but if not I'll be ready. Believe me if it happens again i will have the proof!!!!

Yes, I know for a fact you are not exaggerating on the bells, I got them because I like the door open for the breeze so I would hang them on the screen door was open and back on the door when it was shut so I could hear people come and go and not get surprised! I was very disappointed that it took a real slam of the door to get them to make any noise. Sounds like you got it wired now! You have a camera, video, right, with sound? Motion detecting still camera in the basement? An extra audio recorder in your room would be good as long as you and your wife don't talk in your sleep or snore to loud.:lol: It doesn't sound like it's a puberty problem although for some rare few puberty can start as young as 8. If things get really bad get your bible and recite Psalms 37, the King James version a couple of times and that should get it's attention and give you a good nights sleep. I'm not sure it will hold without a complete cleansing but its worth a try.

Good Luck Papa!

Hatch.

Probably a demon. Normal ghosts lack the ability to manipulate objects in most cases. If it keeps happening, you probably have a dark spirit at the house. Either that or some neighbors playing jokes.

Probably a demon. Normal ghosts lack the ability to manipulate objects in most cases. If it keeps happening, you probably have a dark spirit at the house. Either that or some neighbors playing jokes.

Hmm...I think its a bit early to say demon, all this does is fuel fear...

Question to the OP though, why do you have halloween decorations out so early?!

and how do you know that?

dodir, your picture freaks me out EVERYTIME i look at it

I get why a previous poster thinks it could be a cat but what about the banging and footsteps?

dodir, your picture freaks me out EVERYTIME i look at it

I get why a previous poster thinks it could be a cat but what about the banging and footsteps?

OK I tried to be short because i was at work. The bells are in fact inside my home, on the inside of my door. Ya know the first 2 times it happened i admit my cat was downstairs. The part that set in reality last night was when i started calling him, my wife stated Dan he is up here sleeping in the sink. There is NO WAY, i repeat NO WAY IN HELL it was him. As a matter a fact he woke up about a half hour later, went downstairs meowed and played then came running upstairs, hissed , ran under my bed and stayed under till i woke up for work at 430. I swear this is all true i was a skeptic. I am lookuing for the charger to the old Sony camcorder, i will put on night vision and believe me if i get anything you will all know tomorrow.

OK I tried to be short because i was at work. The bells are in fact inside my home, on the inside of my door. Ya know the first 2 times it happened i admit my cat was downstairs. The part that set in reality last night was when i started calling him, my wife stated Dan he is up here sleeping in the sink. There is NO WAY, i repeat NO WAY IN HELL it was him. As a matter a fact he woke up about a half hour later, went downstairs meowed and played then came running upstairs, hissed , ran under my bed and stayed under till i woke up for work at 430. I swear this is all true i was a skeptic. I am lookuing for the charger to the old Sony camcorder, i will put on night vision and believe me if i get anything you will all know tomorrow.

Oh I never thought it was the cat! I look forward to hearing more and seeing some video if you get it all working :tu:

im excited to see what this video turns up, tommorow i will be refreshing the forum page like crazy to see when the video is up

im excited to see what this video turns up, tommorow i will be refreshing the forum page like crazy to see when the video is up

Well i was not awakened at all last night. I did leave out the video recorder though. When I get home from work today i will review and keep you all updated

Well i was not awakened at all last night. I did leave out the video recorder though. When I get home from work today i will review and keep you all updated

It knows your after it! It may take a while.

Has it been windy the nights the bells seemed to hit against the door? I had some wind chimes in my lobby, not even attached to the door, and my house is still quite a modern build, but the wind still managed to caused them chime. Just one explanation. To put things in perspective, as you swept your house with a gun in hand, I suppose you should be glad you didn't find an actual burglar. You say the activity started, or at least intensified with bringing the bells into your home? Have you tried getting rid of the bells all together, away from your house, in a tip somewhere. Or even test whether it is the presence of the bells by having a willing volunteer bring them into their home. Also do you have a basement? Just thinking, pipes can make a very similar sound to someone running or banging. Don't start calling the entity pipes though, if you've seen 'Ghostwatch' you'll understand why haha