Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best Actors/ Actresses

ali smack

Gary Oldman stands out by a mile.

Others:

Hugh Jackman

Tom Hanks

Brad Pitt (Loved him in Fight Club and 12 Monkeys)

Edward Norton

Angelina Jolie

Sally Field

Cate Blanchett

Sam Worthington

Sigourney Weaver

Harrison Ford

Willem Dafoe

Sean Connery

Leonardo DiCaprio (except for Titanic)

Helena Bonham Carter

Jeremy Renner in anything from The Town and earlier.

My faves of his The hurt Locker...Oscar Nomination

Neo Ned

12 and Holding

Dahmer.....I'm pretty sure he won a few independent awards for that one.

I feel recently he's sold out to Hollywood, but hopefully this year we'll see a return to his awesome acting skills.When he has a great part he literally becomes that character.

Edited by Tia

Daniel Day-Lewis and Meryl Streep are acting royalty, and an argument can be made that they're the King of Actors and Queen of Actresses in our generation. I have a list of favorites that is too long to type. It extends from Humphrey Bogart to Paul Newman to Robert De Niro to Sean Penn to George Clooney to the next big thing. That's just my list for *American* actors.

You listed 3 of my favorites Bogart,Newman,and De Niro all 3 are/were very versatile unlike most today where special effects must take up a good portion of the film so people do not realize how poor their acting really is.

I cant put clooney in as a best actor he just always seems the same.Very over rated in my opinion,his best work to me was in O Brother,Where Art Thou.I love that movie haha

• Like 1

You listed 3 of my favorites Bogart,Newman,and De Niro all 3 are/were very versatile unlike most today where special effects must take up a good portion of the film so people do not realize how poor their acting really is.

I cant put clooney in as a best actor he just always seems the same.Very over rated in my opinion,his best work to me was in O Brother,Where Art Thou.I love that movie haha

I couldn't agree more with your point about special effects, taking the place of superb acting, in many new movies. The weird thing is that some of the new special effects look more fake than some of the ones in old films. We see the best and the worst of CGI. It's a shame when creators try to use CGI as a substitute for good plots. Stories make or break movies, and a bad script seldom can be saved by bells and whistles. Still, I love it when the two are affectively combined in a classic movie like the original "Star Wars". You get the best of both worlds. Now, a lot of movies rely too much on special effects at the expense of good plots. BTW, I'll add Nicholson and Pacino to my list of celluloid thespians. :tu:

• Like 1

A lesser known actor, and probably a bit of a left-field addition to the names here, but I've always been a fan of Michael Shanks (probably best known for his role as Dr Daniel Jackson, in Stargate SG:1). His range of acting is quite awesome, in my opinion.

CGI as a cast character or best use of CGI in a movie,

inception

220px-Inception_ver3.jpg

Inception is a 2010 English-language science fiction thriller film written, co-produced, and directed by Christopher Nolan. The film stars a large ensemble cast that includes Leonardo DiCaprio, Ken Watanabe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page, Tom Hardy, Dileep Rao, Cillian Murphy, Tom Berenger, and Michael Caine. DiCaprio plays Dom Cobb, a thief who commits corporate espionage by infiltrating the subconscious of his targets. He is offered a chance to regain his old life as payment for a task considered to be impossible: "inception", the implantation of another person's idea into a target's subconscious

here

~edit : tidying up

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 1

Andy Serkis. Gollum may be CGI, but it is really Serkis. And he was fantastic as Ian Drury in "Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll". Sigourney Weaver for the first three Alien films, awesome. And from left field, Robert Picardo for his appearances in the Stargate series and more recently in an independant film "Sensored", which seems to have slipped under the radar.

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri

I need to add some actresses to my list. Jodie Foster and Meryl Streep top my modern list. Hepburn likely tops my classic era list. Grace Kelly was the epitome of a leading lady when it comes to being the total package.

• Like 2

Richard Chamberlain, Jeremy Irons, Linus Roache, Alyson Hannigan. The last two are deffinitely two who project emotions very well and also seem so honest in their emotions. Pretty much the only two actors who have made me cry without aid of the script (IE the script was meh but they were great).

Honorable mentions go to: Keith Szarabajka, Nicholas Lea, Dave Foley, Silar Weir Mitchell and Colin Ferguson. They're just typically fun to watch.

I feel like I need more chicks on my list.

Yes ... Audrey

perfection forever more

audrey-hepburn-style-3.jpg?w=610&h=778

googled and found this gem of a portrait I've never seen before ....

but my favourite is always this one .. dunno why >

AudreyHepburn.jpg

• Like 2

I forgot British and Irish actors from the classic era. Please pardon my itch to list. I can't help myself.

.Laurence Olivier

.Peter O'Toole

.Richard Burton

.Richard Harris

.Alec Guinness

.David Niven

.John Gielgud

.James Mason

.Michael Caine

.Roger Moore

• Like 2

I don't know about best, that's kind of subjective so I'll give my favorites.

Actors- Jeff Daniels and Jeff Bridges. Both of them are capable of acting in any genre of film and they have. Comedy. Drama Action, you name it, they can do it.

Actresses- Kate Winslet and Jodie Foster. Same as above. They can play whatever part they wish to and succeed in doing so.

• Like 1

Sir Reginald Carey "Rex" Harrison was an English actor of stage and screen. Harrison began his career on the stage in 1924. He won his first Tony Award for his performance as Henry VIII in Anne of the Thousand Days in 1949.

Agony_and_the_Ecstasy_1965.jpg

you'll never find a better screen Pope anywhere ..... in fact ...... :D

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 1

Anthony Quinn was great in "The Shoes of the Fisherman" in which he played a pope. Have you seen the cable series, "The Borgias"? Irons and the rest of the cast were great. I watched just the first season.

Peter Ustinov ustinov-peter-01-g.jpg

he was always larger than life to me ...... since the days of technicolor super wide screens ....

what a character ... unforgettable