Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bloomberg: Drones inevitable, get used to it

Render

Mayor Bloomberg says surveillance drones are inevitable in NYC: 'get used to it'

Governmental use of unmanned surveillance drones has inspired a lot of concern about privacy, but New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg thinks the battle's already over. In a radio interview this week, Bloomberg said essentially that drones are an inevitable part of our future (and maybe our present), comparing them to the thousands of cameras already located around Manhattan. "What's the difference whether the drone is up in the air or on the building?" he asked. "We're going into a different world, uncharted... you can't keep the tide from coming in."

Striking a tone more of resignation than endorsement, Bloomberg said that our future includes more visibility and less privacy. Face recognition will be integrated into the drone surveillance, and he wondered aloud whether a drone is that much more invasive than someone standing outside your home. Bloomberg did say legislation is necessary, but warned against hasty action, saying "these are long-term, serious problems."

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/24/4141526/mayor-bloomberg-says-surveillance-drones-inevitable-in-nyc

• Like 1

So why does he, or do they, feel that these Drones are necessary? Under whose authority are they used?

Edited by Lord Vetinari
  • Like 2

Striking a tone more of resignation than endorsement, Bloomberg said that our future includes more visibility and less privacy. Face recognition will be integrated into the drone surveillance

Well at least he´s being honest!

Under whose authority are they used?

They will eventually be approved by the house and senate IMO. They are already slowly moving in that direction.

This afternoon the House of Representatives is considering H.R. 2578, a package of public lands bills that contains a provision from Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT) giving U.S. Customs and Border Protection authority to shut down any economic or recreational activity within 100 miles of the northern and southern U.S. borders if deemed necessary for securing them.

The section also rolls back more than 30 environmental and public health laws within the 100-mile zone including the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, and the National Park Service Organic Act that helps protect and preserve national parks (see full listhere).

Congressman Ed Markey (D-MA) dubbed the provision a “drone zone” bill and explained at a press conference today that:

It essentially will be a
national sacrifice zone where our rights, our liberties, and our environment can be sacrificed
for the sake of an ideological anti-immigrant, anti-environment agenda. Make no mistake, this isn’t a bill that actually addresses immigration issues.

The bill passed the house and I believe is waiting for senate approval.

The ACLU says a "Constitution-free zone" exists within 100 miles of the US border, where DHS claims the authority to stop, search and detain anyone for any reason. Nearly two-thirds of the US population lives within 100 miles of the border, according to the ACLU, and the border zone encompasses scores of major metropolitan areas and even entire states.

This bill allows the DHS to build roads, fences, airstrips, and buildings anywhere in the zone. It would also, possibly, allow DHS to fly drones anywhere within that 100-mile boundary

.Chek out the map of the "Constitution-Free zones which include NY amongst the other most populated cities in the US

http://www.allgov.com/news/top-stories/homeland-security-approves-seizure-of-cell-phones-and-laptops-within-100-miles-of-border-report-remains-secret-130211?news=847030

Edited by jugoso
  • Like 1

So they're hoping to create for themselves, effectively, a hundred mile wide zone where Martial law reigns, and they'd have (presumably) the right to arrest anybody, and perhaps even shoot to kill anyone at all, on whatever grounds they want to make up as being "essential for National Security"? Sounds rather the border between East & West Germany, only on a much, much wider scale. I really don't think one would have to be a conspiracy theorist to consider this very, very sinister indeed.

• Like 2

So they're hoping to create for themselves, effectively, a hundred mile wide zone where Martial law reigns, and they'd have (presumably) the right to arrest anybody, and perhaps even shoot to kill anyone at all, on whatever grounds they want to make up as being "essential for National Security"? Sounds rather the border between East & West Germany, only on a much, much wider scale. I really don't think one would have to be a conspiracy theorist to consider this very, very sinister indeed.

Yes, they are creating it right now and it will give them unlimited powers within this area of arrest, search, seizure of any electronic devices as well as the use of drones.

• Like 1

I'm sure once this "zone" is up and running and theres nothing we the people will ever be able to do about it, they will slowly increase its scope until we all wake up one day and the entire country is a "zone". Gee, won't that be fun, well you can bet it'll be fun for our government (if we can still call it a government)

Sad thing to me is, I'm not sure exactly when I too became a sheeple, and now all I feel I can do about anything the feds dictate is Baa Baa Baa.

• Like 1

Drones are the answer to EU's CCTV stuff. Same purpose same result but yeah we aint getting drones that fly 34k ft out of the sky ever as a people. And they will be reading license plates.

• Like 2

Drones are the answer to EU's CCTV stuff. Same purpose same result but yeah we aint getting drones that fly 34k ft out of the sky ever as a people. And they will be reading license plates.

CCTV isn't EU stuff, it's a UK thing.

I think drones is a whole different ball game to CCTV; CCTV can have a useful, er, use in helping to identify people etc if a Crime is committed, but it's really no use as an instrument of oppression unless there are people watching every single feed from every single camera 24/7, and have squads of Thought Police on standby to go into action at all times, but a Drone is a device for specifially targeting individuals and monitoring them, so I think that's a different level altogether.

I think drones is a whole different ball game to CCTV; CCTV can have a useful, er, use in helping to identify people etc if a Crime is committed, but it's really no use as an instrument of oppression unless there are people watching every single feed from every single camera 24/7, and have squads of Thought Police on standby to go into action at all times, but a Drone is a device for specifially targeting individuals and monitoring them, so I think that's a different level altogether.

It makes me heartily glad that I am just a Prole...

CCTV is used for much more then surveillance of crime in UK unless you consider traffic fines etc/congestion taxes to be criminal activity. That it keeps people safer is a crock of ****.

Its how they made surveillance of people in the UK a reality instead of a possibilty. If they dont care not then let them also enjoy the new bedroom tax coming up. Same devil behind those cloaks sorry to inform you.

As for drones and surveillance. No there not meant for single target. That is just one of there capabilities. If you think Bloombergs drones are one eye one target your kidding yourself. **** getting used to them. Stand up for your civil Liberties. Or lose them forever.

• Like 1

it's really no use as an instrument of oppression unless there are people watching every single feed from every single camera 24/

I guess you havent heard of the record option and that you can request your CCTV from specific cameras in and around London if you can identify which one you were at. There used to oppress. Thats all. To instill fear into people and make them walk a straight line every second. Might as well move to China or North Korea cause all there leaving you with is Free Speech. Oh wait CCTV records those that express those rights as well and theyll come back after you later.

• Like 2

I guess you havent heard of the record option and that you can request your CCTV from specific cameras in and around London if you can identify which one you were at. There used to oppress. Thats all. To instill fear into people and make them walk a straight line every second. Might as well move to China or North Korea cause all there leaving you with is Free Speech. Oh wait CCTV records those that express those rights as well and theyll come back after you later.

I just hope some enterprising young folks are in a basement even as we discuss, figuring a way to blind or bring down these new government toys. Blinding is more likely. The device(s) would become as popular as CB radios and radar detectors in the 70s :w00t:

Its getting where you only have the freedom to be watched.

• Like 2

Striking a tone more of resignation than endorsement, Bloomberg said that our future includes more visibility and less privacy.

But what he doesn't say is that is because the politician/control freaks along with the manufacturers of drones are shoving them down our throats. Drones are a choice, not an inevitability. He lies.

Face recognition will be integrated into the drone surveillance, and he wondered aloud whether a drone is that much more invasive than someone standing outside your home.

My suggestion is that there should be people standing outside of his home 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They should not tell him why exactly they are standing out there, perhaps if he asks they can say it's no more invasive than being watched by cameras or drones.

There is actually a huge difference between cameras hanging on buildings and drones. Cameras hanging on buildings are privately owned and are there to provide security and safety for the tenants of that building. A drone is owned by nebulous government agencies to keep guard over the average citizen just to make sure he's not involved in wrong-doing, defeating the premise of inoccent until proven guilty.

Drones effectively make us prisoners in our own cities under constant scrutiny.

• Like 3

Power to the People.

Don't like it, do something about it. Nuff said.

Then be posed in the media as a terrorist and have your words and actions twisted and demonised.

People have gone around after 9/11 asking people questions about sacrificing their liberties. Many of them had no objection whatsoever.

• Like 4

Satellites and drones can see CLOSE UP . We might as well have cops ,or a multitude of other officials, with anti-gravity belts floating through our yards.

* i choose to NOT 'get used to it"

Edited by lightly
  • Like 4

My favorite part is where it's inevitable.

It's inevitable that we grow old. It's inevitable that the USA will one day be a second rate power and not a super power. It's inevitable that volcanoes will erupt. It's inevitable that it will rain in Seattle and snow in Juno. It's not inevitable that we live in an invasive security state, prisoners of some nebulous big brother tyrant control freak.

• Like 3

It's for the children. It's likely that all of these varied items and objects will combine into a linked grid of control and power. The final product could be called The Beast. Who needs Big Brother when you have Lil' Bloomberg?

It's for the children. It's likely that all of these varied items and objects will combine into a linked grid of control and power. The final product could be called The Beast. Who needs Big Brother when you have Lil' Bloomberg?

Now you're on Simbi's wavelength :w00t: She calls him Fuhrer Bloomberg!

Now you're on Simbi's wavelength :w00t: She calls him Fuhrer Bloomberg!

I wouldn't go that far. He might have good intentions, but his statism is a step in the wrong direction.