Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 7 votes

Show us your EGO!

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#316    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:00 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 08 February 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

I look back on my childhood as some of the most exciting times of my life. Life meant more. Life was more fun, more real, more meaningfull when I was young and my Ego was being formed. There was a purpose in every little thing.. I felt closer to the heavens and the Earth, I felt more real and more alive than I ever have before.. Nowadays, being older, having layers upon layers of Ego, socieital programming & the psycosis of civilisation to cope with that one has to realise that we have it in ourselves to let go of all the cr,p that has been built around the true self..

That's a tad bit creepy, I had that revelation in high school, which in turn led me to snap(Doing most of the damage to myself instead of others, that existential depression post tells part of that story) then going off and doing things my own way.

#317    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,047 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:39 AM

I find the efforts above to blame ego on things outside ourselves rather revealing, in two ways -- that ego is something perhaps to be ashamed of and that we are not egoistic until we learn it.

Anyone observing children knows that they are chock full of ego.  It's not something we acquire.  It's probably an instinct that aids survival during childhood and even later.

That society knocks the ego out of us was a metaphor.  We all think we will rise to the top, but that is impossible.  Therefore our expectations and ego need to be knocked down a few pegs if we are to adjust.  For most people this is not a pleasant time.

#318    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,688 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:39 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 08 February 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

This is utter nonsense imo..
We do not start off full of Ego.. We start off as true selfs and true beings.. Ego is a result of society, of other people, of family and friends.  It is those around us who shape the Ego. Before there was Ego, there was the True self..

I look back on my childhood as some of the most exciting times of my life. Life meant more. Life was more fun, more real, more meaningfull when I was young and my Ego was being formed. There was a purpose in every little thing.. I felt closer to the heavens and the Earth, I felt more real and more alive than I ever have before.. Nowadays, being older, having layers upon layers of Ego, socieital programming & the psycosis of civilisation to cope with that one has to realise that we have it in ourselves to let go of all the cr,p that has been built around the true self..

Ego is a result of society, of other people, of family and friends.  It is those around us who shape the Ego. Before there was Ego, there was the True self..
Hence the equation,  I AM + Anything else = Ego! :tu:
There was a time when we didn't know we were supposed to 'act your age', or 'grow up'.  We were just, I AM...then came the definitions...by society, by family, by friends... and we put on those definitions like a piece of clothing and we wore it, and we wear it.  Then, when we started really questioning...Who am I?...we began creating our own definitions, a new suit of clothes, on top of the other ones...I am this...I am that...I am not this...I am not that...defining ourselves...because that is what society told us to do...know thyself!   But we don't really know ourselves at all.  We know the definition of ourselves...THAT is Ego.

to cope with that one has to realise that we have it in ourselves to let go of all the cr,p that has been built around the true self..
That is the part that the vast majority of humans do not get (imo).  Most of us go through life never even knowing that, 1.  it is all cr,p and 2. within us lies the power to override the definitions.
The real definition of a human is To Be.  Not to be this or to be that...but just to be...to be free of the definitions that rule over us.
Thank you Professor for creating such an excellent thread. :yes:   Because it gives me a chance to express myself as.  I AM + Philosopher.  And in the end that = Ego.  And I know that, but I also know that there are those reading this that may not know and so I must teach them and save them from their ignorance.. And that gives me a chance  to express myself as, I AM + Savior.  Which in the end also = Ego.  But I know that as well...there are just so many layers....

Edited by joc, 08 February 2013 - 04:41 AM.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#319    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,449 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:31 AM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 08 February 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:

If anybody ever made the mistake of giving me the keys to 10 downing street my ego would cause me to -
Your ego isn't quite big enough.. :lol:
Why settle on 10 Downing Street? Take the White house & Kremlin?

View PostJinxdom, on 08 February 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

That's a tad bit creepy, I had that revelation in high school, which in turn led me to snap(Doing most of the damage to myself instead of others, that existential depression post tells part of that story) then going off and doing things my own way.
Hmmmmmmm, the "Then going off and doing things your own way" sounds intreeging..

View PostJinxdom, on 31 January 2013 - 06:18 AM, said:

I'm debating if I have one or not. It's kind of hard to dissociate from things that are truly part of yourself. I'm happy with who I am and with what I am doing; that's all that matters.

I wonder if this debating if you have an Ego or not is a strong Ego born of "going off and doing things your own way?"

View PostJinxdom, on 31 January 2013 - 06:18 AM, said:

I'm happy with who I am and with what I am doing; that's all that matters.

Dont get me wrong, but the above statement sounds to me like an Ego response.

#320    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

Hmmmmmmm, the "Then going off and doing things your own way" sounds intreeging..

It's liberating to basically not concerning yourself with other people's opinions on how you should act or think, how you should dress. No asking permission to take a sick day, not having to run around trying to get to places before they close, It is quite nice. How often do you actually get to go outside right when you want to? Basically stress free besides small details I can brush off and not really worrying about.

I wonder if this debating if you have an Ego or not is a strong Ego born of "going off and doing things your own way?"

Very much so, after being told for more then 20 years that you are not living life as you are supposed to, it is a huge battle, am I doing it just because I want to, or just doing it to prove them wrong. I've been told all my life you can't make a legitimate living of off drugs yet my main source of income is legally selling marijuana to cancer patients. *Hell it could even be some urge to stay in the former family business. I didn't do that because I wanted to though, I wanted to work for myself and ran in to one of my neighbors complaining about the price of it coming from dispensaries. So my knowledge from watching grow shops, having an easily farm able product, and pretty much State protection made it easy to jump in to, but that big double finger salute to my school is as well nice.
If it didn't fall basically in to my lap it would of been one of my last choices. It's hard to tell.

Dont get me wrong, but the above statement sounds to me like an Ego response.
Actually the only thing I know that isn't a response from my ego.

*added

Edited by Jinxdom, 08 February 2013 - 07:34 AM.

#321    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:00 AM

This conversation has been going since i started here,and its not politics so instead of reading through all the pages what's this all about haha

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#322    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,047 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

Well there seem to be some people trying to say that we (or at least they) aren't egoistic, but they can't say it up front 'cause that would be bragging, and hence being egoistic, so they confuse the daylights out of it all.

#323    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,355 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

Hahaha frank you explain things sometimes better than anyone

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#324    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,449 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 08 February 2013 - 04:39 AM, said:

I find the efforts above to blame ego on things outside ourselves rather revealing, in two ways -- that ego is something perhaps to be ashamed of and that we are not egoistic until we learn it.
Awareness of Ego imo is most important.. Being ashamed of it creates a subtle ego. Understanding and controlling it is where empowerment over it lays.. Being ashamed is pointless and probably an Ego response.. If your thoughts cause shame then ask yourself where are those feelings comming from? memory? You own your memories, you own your thoughts and it's in your power to accept that shame then forgive and move on.. Entertaining shame, anger, grief or other disempowering feelings is Ego controlling us imo.

Anyone observing children knows that they are chock full of ego. It's not something we acquire. It's probably an instinct that aids survival during childhood and even later.
Nope.. The point is missed..
Children are having Ego's developed.. They are in the process of Ego development and as a result seem more egotistic when in reality their developing ego's are just testing the waters of society.. A prime example of this is the following statement.. "My dad is better than your dad." Their young ego's are testing the limits, as a result, egotistic behavior is being checked, confirmed or shot down by those around them who are tickling these young ego's with praise or scorn..
Edited to add: My dad is better than your dad imo signals the start of subtle ego development.

That society knocks the ego out of us was a metaphor. We all think we will rise to the top, but that is impossible. Therefore our expectations and ego need to be knocked down a few pegs if we are to adjust. For most people this is not a pleasant time.
True, but society also builds more ego's than it burns..

Edited by Professor T, 08 February 2013 - 07:15 AM.

#325    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,355 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

I know i have a ego,if i couldnt control mine this whole topic would fail jk hahaha

#326    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

-- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

Man, You would be a great therapist though very easy to talk to.

#327    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,355 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

So who would you say has the biggest ego you have ran across on here?Not trying to put you on the spot or anything lol

#328    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,449 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

View Postjoc, on 08 February 2013 - 04:39 AM, said:

Ego is a result of society, of other people, of family and friends.  It is those around us who shape the Ego. Before there was Ego, there was the True self..
Hence the equation,  I AM + Anything else = Ego! :tu:
There was a time when we didn't know we were supposed to 'act your age', or 'grow up'.  We were just, I AM...then came the definitions...by society, by family, by friends... and we put on those definitions like a piece of clothing and we wore it, and we wear it.  Then, when we started really questioning...Who am I?...we began creating our own definitions, a new suit of clothes, on top of the other ones...I am this...I am that...I am not this...I am not that...defining ourselves...because that is what society told us to do...know thyself!   But we don't really know ourselves at all.  We know the definition of ourselves...THAT is Ego.

to cope with that one has to realise that we have it in ourselves to let go of all the cr,p that has been built around the true self..
That is the part that the vast majority of humans do not get (imo).  Most of us go through life never even knowing that, 1.  it is all cr,p and 2. within us lies the power to override the definitions.
The real definition of a human is To Be.  Not to be this or to be that...but just to be...to be free of the definitions that rule over us.
Thank you Professor for creating such an excellent thread. :yes:   Because it gives me a chance to express myself as.  I AM + Philosopher.  And in the end that = Ego.  And I know that, but I also know that there are those reading this that may not know and so I must teach them and save them from their ignorance.. And that gives me a chance  to express myself as, I AM + Savior.  Which in the end also = Ego.  But I know that as well...there are just so many layers....
:tu: :tu:
Two Thumbs up because I almost agree on everything you wrote here..
Where we differ is the real definition of Human..

IMO, The real definition of a human is not just to be..

To be is consiousness..
The real difinition of a human imo is to Imagine, Invent, Inspire..

#329    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 08 February 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

Your ego isn't quite big enough.. :lol:
Why settle on 10 Downing Street? Take the White house & Kremlin?

Even better take the whole world lol

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 08 February 2013 - 02:37 PM.

#330    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 08 February 2013 - 02:37 PM, said:

Even better take the whole world lol
Lol.There's no stopping him now!

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users