Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

GPs to prescribe self-help books

gps self-help books library

  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 36,932 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

People suffering from anxiety, depression or relationship problems will be offered self-help books on prescription from their GPs, it was announced today.

Those suffering mental health issues will be given written prescriptions to visit their local library to read a selection of 30 approved texts.

http://www.telegraph...p-problems.html

Posted Image

#2    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 34,057 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

I have the feeling that this is the worst idea since the construction of the tower of Babylon...

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    Asadora

Asadora

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Joined:06 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

What if one of the prescribed books is already checked out?
'I -need- this book! My doctor said I -needed- it.'
"I'm sorry it's already checked out."

I'm not sure how this would actually work, considering that libraries will offer different books based on the location. Some villages are remote to where they don't even have a library and only have a mobile library come round every so often.

I would find it frustrating to be given a 'prescription' for a book. I'd feel passed over and not important. If I did have mental health issues, being prescribed a book would perhaps, make me even more unhealthy.
What if it was an illiterate person who was unable to read and yet was prescribed one of these books?

Good ole fashion talking and actively listening is far more productive unfortunately most GPs do not have enough time to invest into this sensible treatment.

But... it is a free service, so it is better than nothing I suppose.

Kind Regards.

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#4    ealdwita

ealdwita

    Hwt oredmcg

  • Member
  • 4,664 posts
  • Joined:08 Jun 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:astcentingas , England

  • Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

It also pre-supposes that said patients would be able to recognise a library if they tripped over it, let alone actually read a book!

Considering 'depression' in its various forms is (second only to 'dodgy back'), probably the commonest reason given for the work-shy not to get off their backsides, then I don't really see this method of treatment amounting to much.

"I'm sorry Doctor, I read all those books you prescribed but they only seem to have given me a headache and sore eyes! Can I have a free pair of spectacles, Paracetamol, and another 'unfit for work' certificate, please?"

The minority of the (depressed) populace who are genuine, won't, I suspect, be helped by mere reading. IMO, that's too much of a positive action for the truly depressed to take, and I agree with Asadora, that good old-fashioned 'chin-wagging' in a convivial setting would be much more beneficial.

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#5    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

    Spud the Mackem

  • Member
  • 3,262 posts
  • Joined:28 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Yeo Valley,Darkest Somerset.

  • man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Doctor , I've broken my arm in 2 places....Doc "Well dont go to those places".
Doctor , How do I stand ?......   Doc "Its a miracle to me".
Doctor...I have a back ache..."take a Paracetamol"....I have a headache..."take a Paracetamol",....I have a heavy cold..."take a Paracetamol", I have Dengue Fever..."take a Paracetamol",....I'm Dying....."take 2 Paracetamol...
I trust Doctors are far a I can "P" against the wind, and what do you call a Phobia against Hospitals because I have that as well.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#6    Asadora

Asadora

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Joined:06 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 31 January 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

Doctor , I've broken my arm in 2 places....Doc "Well dont go to those places".
Doctor , How do I stand ?......   Doc "Its a miracle to me".
Doctor...I have a back ache..."take a Paracetamol"....I have a headache..."take a Paracetamol",....I have a heavy cold..."take a Paracetamol", I have Dengue Fever..."take a Paracetamol",....I'm Dying....."take 2 Paracetamol...
I trust Doctors are far a I can "P" against the wind, and what do you call a Phobia against Hospitals because I have that as well.

Phobia against hospitals would be called: Nosocomephobia

My husband had went to the GP (though it was a locum, so not his regular GP). Anyway, he goes because he is having back pain from the car accident of which he was involved. My husband didn't even get told to take paracetamol. All he was told was, 'Well, don't move that way if it hurts.' The action that my husband had demonstrated was -just- sitting in a chair.

I think in this instance, being told to read a book, could be productive, at least it could help to take the mind off the back pain... I suppose?
Thankfully the Husband is over that now.

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#7    Asadora

Asadora

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Joined:06 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

View Postealdwita, on 31 January 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

It also pre-supposes that said patients would be able to recognise a library if they tripped over it, let alone actually read a book!

Considering 'depression' in its various forms is (second only to 'dodgy back'), probably the commonest reason given for the work-shy not to get off their backsides, then I don't really see this method of treatment amounting to much.

"I'm sorry Doctor, I read all those books you prescribed but they only seem to have given me a headache and sore eyes! Can I have a free pair of spectacles, Paracetamol, and another 'unfit for work' certificate, please?"

The minority of the (depressed) populace who are genuine, won't, I suspect, be helped by mere reading. IMO, that's too much of a positive action for the truly depressed to take, and I agree with Asadora, that good old-fashioned 'chin-wagging' in a convivial setting would be much more beneficial.

Ergasiophobia would be the 'work-shy' ones.
By the way, Ealdwita... that was a very kind how you put that, 'work-shy'. Also very true.
I'd also say that it's very true in regard to the doctors themselves. I do not believe I have ever witness my GP to have ever stood up. She is always sitting down when I see her.

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#8    ealdwita

ealdwita

    Hwt oredmcg

  • Member
  • 4,664 posts
  • Joined:08 Jun 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:astcentingas , England

  • Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Iatrophobia - fear of going to the doctor.

I've had to see the doctor every day for the past three weeks with all the medical problems I have - bad back, dizzyness, sore throat - the list is endless. Yesterday, the doctor said to me "I'm afraid you are a Hypochondriac." I thought, "Bloody hell-fire, on top of everything else - now this!"

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#9    Asadora

Asadora

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Joined:06 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

View Postealdwita, on 31 January 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

Iatrophobia - fear of going to the doctor.

I've had to see the doctor every day for the past three weeks with all the medical problems I have - bad back, dizzyness, sore throat - the list is endless. Yesterday, the doctor said to me "I'm afraid you are a Hypochondriac." I thought, "Bloody hell-fire, on top of everything else - now this!"

I was drinking my coffee when I read this and now most of it is on my desk. Funny funny, Ealdwita! (The latter, not the former. Regarding the former, I would suggest a nice fire, a drinkable spirit and Mrs. Ealdwita giving you a shoulder rub. Remember, you have in-house health care!

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#10    ealdwita

ealdwita

    Hwt oredmcg

  • Member
  • 4,664 posts
  • Joined:08 Jun 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:astcentingas , England

  • Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

I met a pal of mine who was emerging from the doctor's surgery the other day in floods of tears. "Whatever's the matter?" I asked him. He gulped and replied "The doctor's just told me I've got to take a tablet every day for the rest of my life!" I put a reassuring hand on his shoulder, "That's not too much of a problem, surely" I commiserated. Bert burst into tears again, "But he's only given me two bloody tablets!" he wailed.....

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#11    ealdwita

ealdwita

    Hwt oredmcg

  • Member
  • 4,664 posts
  • Joined:08 Jun 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:astcentingas , England

  • Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

View PostAsadora, on 31 January 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

I was drinking my coffee when I read this and now most of it is on my desk. Funny funny, Ealdwita! (The latter, not the former. Regarding the former, I would suggest a nice fire, a drinkable spirit and Mrs. Ealdwita giving you a shoulder rub. Remember, you have in-house health care!

*Shudders while imagining being held in a Half-Nelson with Mrs.E's knee between his shoulder-blades!*

I love the aroma of horse liniment though!

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#12    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 34,057 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Old guy comes to the doctor for a checkup. "You seem to be 20 years younger than your age" seez the doctor.

"Well", seez the guy,"that is because I never drank, never smoked never ate any sweets and never had anything with women, now I will celebrate my 80th next week"

The doctor scratches his head and seez "Interesting, may I ask with what you will celebrate?"

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#13    Asadora

Asadora

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Joined:06 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

View Postealdwita, on 31 January 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

I met a pal of mine who was emerging from the doctor's surgery the other day in floods of tears. "Whatever's the matter?" I asked him. He gulped and replied "The doctor's just told me I've got to take a tablet every day for the rest of my life!" I put a reassuring hand on his shoulder, "That's not too much of a problem, surely" I commiserated. Bert burst into tears again, "But he's only given me two bloody tablets!" he wailed.....

That's... just wrong, but oh so gloriously funny!

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#14    Asadora

Asadora

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Joined:06 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

View Postealdwita, on 31 January 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

*Shudders while imagining being held in a Half-Nelson with Mrs.E's knee between his shoulder-blades!*

I love the aroma of horse liniment though!

There is just so much one could say. Oh! So much!

However, I will just say that I will make sure that there is no drink within my hand when I come across your posts, Ealdwita. :tu:

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#15    ealdwita

ealdwita

    Hwt oredmcg

  • Member
  • 4,664 posts
  • Joined:08 Jun 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:astcentingas , England

  • Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Somebody stop this thread degenerating into a "When I went to the doctor's......" debacle!

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users