Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gibraltar 'invasion' fake pictures spark fury

Still Waters

The Spanish mayor of a town popular with British expats has provoked a furious reaction after posting photos of a pretend military invasion of Gibraltar on his Facebook page.

http://www.telegraph...spark-fury.html

Idiocy is no barrier to public office. Indeed, some might argue the contrary is true.

no wonder their economy is in ruins, but you have to laugh at the mock up picture, how did they get the bull up the rock. impressive.

• Like 2

No problem the Apes will see off the Bull.

• Like 2

Quite frankly the thought of the Spanish invading and actually winning is quite Laughable.This Mayor has made himself and his Countrymen look rather Silly.

• Like 1

No problem the Apes will see off the Bull.

Barbary macaques are tailess monkeys.

Ealdwita snippet alert......

Gibraltar's barbary macaque population was under the care of the British Army and later the Gibraltar Regiment from 1915 to 1991, who carefully controlled a population that initially consisted of a single troop. An officer was appointed to supervise their welfare, and a food allowance of fruit, vegetables and nuts was included in the budget. Births were gazetted in true military fashion, and each new arrival was named. They were named after governors, brigadiers and high-ranking officers. Any ill or injured monkey needing surgery or any other form of medical attention was taken to Royal Naval Hospital Gibraltar and received the same treatment as would an enlisted Serviceman. Following the withdrawal of the British garrison, the Government of Gibraltar took over responsibility for the monkeys welfare.

• Like 5

I rather like his cheerful un-PCness. None of this nonsense about European Solidarity, I find his honesty rather refreshing really.

Dont get angry...get even!!! Do, as I have just done, reported the mocked up photo to Facebook , and directly mailed him to call him a "Tonto" (stupid). I also pointed out that as a member of the PP party in Spain he is resorting to diverting the fact that the PP Gov in Spain is the most corrupt ever, its leader Mariano Rajoy (Pres.) does not have to answer to Parliamentary Questions because the PP have a majority vote in Senate (effectively a Veto).

The Spanish Army (all branches) has been so emasculated under PP rule that they are no longer considered to be Combat Ready within NATO.

Much as I dont like to do it (being Resident in Spain), I am starting a Campaign for next year's Brits Holiday season urging people to go to Greece, Malta, or Cypress, instead of Spain. En Masse then you would get terrific deals in all of these places, and the PP in Spain need to be taught a lesson.

Gibraltar is British within International Law, Spain has absolutely no claim whatsoever on it, and their argument that Territorial waters are not included is vapid at best, because there was not even a concept of Territorial waters until 60 Years ago (240 years after Spain ceded Gibraltar to British rule in perpetuity)!!!

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 2

I looked at the OP link and... I have to ask, is that the actual uniform of the Spanish army? Looks like they have their shirts open?

I needn't worry too much, since very shortly, to judge from the picture, there's going to be an almighty pile-up when all those planes fly straight into the Rock.

I looked at the OP link and... I have to ask, is that the actual uniform of the Spanish army? Looks like they have their shirts open?

You are right. The Shirt MUST be buttoned up,

Seriously go to his Facebook page, the vast majority of comments support him! Unbelievable, because the vast majorty of Gibraltar's immediate neighbours (the town of La Linea de la Concepcion) who have up to 10,000 locals working on the Rock are totally appalled at this whole farago. 56 Fishermen from Spain actually fishing illegally in waters that have been excluded by Spain (Andalucia in this case) because the waters are a conservation site, versus 10,000 Spanish workers going to Gibraltar... this will not end well

Edited by keithisco

It's hot in Spain.

The Spanish Army look so camp.

But NO, it is not the way the Uniform may be worn....

Actually, it is:

a673d110.jpg

It's the collar. They have to show a lot of cleavage. This is a dress uniform, as far as I am aware.

Edit: It's the dress uniform of the Spanish Foreign Legion.

Edited by FLOMBIE

england cuts back on the military argentina grow some balls over the falklands spain grow some over gibraltar

That has nothing to do with military, every time a politician (especially a nationalist politician) has major problem in Spain he/she starts a squeal about Gibraltar. In this case it was the Prime Minister accused of corruption.

That has nothing to do with military, every time a politician (especially a nationalist politician) has major problem in Spain he/she starts a squeal about Gibraltar. In this case it was the Prime Minister accused of corruption.

It was pretty much what prompted Galtieri to have a go at Las Islas Malvinas* in '82; Thatch (pbuh) announced enormous cuts in the Navy; presto, the good General thought this was just his opportunity. History does, as we all know, have a habit of going round and round and round.

* which was a 1980s Madonna song, if I recall

Actually, it is:

a673d110.jpg

It's the collar. They have to show a lot of cleavage. This is a dress uniform, as far as I am aware.

they may not have achieved any significant military successes since .... well, I'll get back to you on that, but you've gotta admit, that's a hot look

It was pretty much what prompted Galtieri to have a go at Las Islas Malvinas* in '82; Thatch (pbuh) announced enormous cuts in the Navy; presto, the good General thought this was just his opportunity. History does, as we all know, have a habit of going round and round and round.

* which was a 1980s Madonna song, if I recall

with a slight difference, the Spaniards might close the border (and get kicked in the **** by Brussels to open it again) but certainly will not start a fight over the hunk of rock. It is simply not worth it.

So what if they close the boarder?

The UK has mostly soldiers and government employees there. If the boarder closes Spain will loose out on all the goods they sell to Gibraltar and around 10,000 Spanish citizens loose their jobs. If they try to invade, they get flattened in about 10 minutes and the UN places sanctions on them as the aggressor.

Edited by Finity

If they close the Border, the EU will say that they might perhaps be able to organise a Commission in maybe a couple of months time, who might perhaps come to a conclusion in about six months, and that conclusion would be that they do not see that Spain is doing anything wrong.

Actually, it is:

a673d110.jpg

Psychological warfare by the Spanish I see. "Are they going to shoot me, or break out into morris dancing"....confuse the enemy, I like it....

If they close the Border, the EU will say that they might perhaps be able to organise a Commission in maybe a couple of months time, who might perhaps come to a conclusion in about six months, and that conclusion would be that they do not see that Spain is doing anything wrong.

There is no commission in that case, it would be a violation of the treaty and (just as happened to Austria a few years back due to an anti-foreigner campaign) they would be suspended immediately.until the situation is corrected.