Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Santorum's new hobby: Oppose the disabled!

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,107 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

View PostHarte, on 05 December 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

To clarify -
The UN says it's okay, in fact preferable, for the State to decide what's best for my child.
Santorum says that it's not.
Why anyone would pretend not to know this is the real question here.

to clarify, most states ALREADY can do this.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#62    GreatFenris

GreatFenris

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

• Freedom is the right of all sentient beings.
    -Optimus Prime.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

View PostHarte, on 05 December 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

To clarify -

The UN says it's okay, in fact preferable, for the State to decide what's best for my child.

Santorum says that it's not.

Why anyone would pretend not to know this is the real question here.

Harte
No, the real question is how much must you hate an idea to reject everything from it, even if it's a positive thing.
So, how much?
Because if it's something that's been proven even more than how incompetent a state is, it's that a lot of parents should not be allowed to keep their kids.

#63    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 10,436 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

Nobody is advocating for the repeal of child protection laws here.

Nice strawman.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Anybody like Coleridge?

#64    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

• Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'-Shawshank Redemption/Life is a buffet and most poor suckers are starving to death-Auntie Mame

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

The Republicans who flipped flopped on this did so because of their insane constituency who believe in some UN One World Order conspiracy and didn't bother to actually read the letter of the treaty. Why would they when abject paranoia is just so much easier. As someone in a wheelchair I find it appalling that it failed to pass.

“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance …or change... logic can be happily tossed out the window. Religious mania is one of the few infallible ways of responding to the worlds vagaries, because it totally eliminates pure accident. To the true religious maniac, it’s ALL on purpose” – Stephen King, The Stand

#65    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

For those who do not want to try to make life better for other people even when it costs them nothing, please get out of the way of those who do want to try.

Posted Image

#66    Dredimus

Dredimus

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

View Postdarkmoonlady, on 07 December 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

The Republicans who flipped flopped on this did so because of their insane constituency who believe in some UN One World Order conspiracy and didn't bother to actually read the letter of the treaty. Why would they when abject paranoia is just so much easier. As someone in a wheelchair I find it appalling that it failed to pass.

In the world we live in, people get their way by exploiting loopholes and language that isnt entirely defined. This Act was riddled with language that should have made anyone nervous. Im no conspiracy nut, infact, I have done my part in slamming down such theories... however, when I read this bill I was slightly taken aback by the language used and the power that could be obtained from that language. Laws concerning the subject matter have already been instituted in the United States. Those laws are not changing, the language of those laws are not changing. The only drive behind this arguement is slander. Santorum had an opinion and he expressed it. Please remember that his opinion had nothing to do with the outcome of things. It was just his opinion. Please also keep in mind that he didnt oppose this because of his republican status... it was about his opinion of the act and its possible effects on his daughter who is disabled. However, the articles written on the subject with him involved were to slander him for being a republican and "Anti-Disabled" even though his own daughter is disabled.

#67    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

View PostDredimus, on 07 December 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:

This Act was riddled with language that should have made anyone nervous.

That is a complete, total, and absolute lie that you apparently believe.

http://www.nytimes.c...again.html?_r=0

Posted Image

#68    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 10,436 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

Well, then, if the NY Times Op-Ed pages says it, it has to be true!

I linked the text of the convention.  I don't need Gail Collins to tell me what to think about it.

I don't think many here would say the convention would have some effect on laws in the US.  I wonder how many here would say that opposing the disabled is Santorum's new "hobby?"

As was said, the man was speaking his opinion on a subject he is at least somewhat informed on, primarily by the mere circumstances of his own existence.

I hope no one would claim that Santorum is attacking disabled people, like his own little girl, for some political purpose or whatever.

He's speaking to his own principles.  They are his, not mine or other people's.

Now, why the Senate rejected it, that's an entirely different thing.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Anybody like Coleridge?

#69    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

Psychic Spy

• 1,303 posts

• Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'-Shawshank Redemption/Life is a buffet and most poor suckers are starving to death-Auntie Mame

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:25 AM

A fraction of the Republicans who abstained from voting on this did so because "the treaty had no enforcement mechanism and had no teeth" and the others voted because they believed wrongly that it would some how arm UN soldiers to enforce something in US borders. Misinformation and paranoia won the day, not common sense and reason.

“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance …or change... logic can be happily tossed out the window. Religious mania is one of the few infallible ways of responding to the worlds vagaries, because it totally eliminates pure accident. To the true religious maniac, it’s ALL on purpose” – Stephen King, The Stand

#70    Dredimus

Dredimus

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:06 AM

View PostBella-Angelique, on 07 December 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

That is a complete, total, and absolute lie that you apparently believe.

http://www.nytimes.c...again.html?_r=0

Actually.... I read it..  if you would care to look back a few pages in this topic you will actually SEE the section in question. Read it for yourself and don't base your opinion on a MSM article.

#71    F3SS

F3SS

Old Burg

• 8,093 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:12 AM

Just let the NY Times interpret it for you. It's soo much easier and if they say it's cool then it's cool. Don't worry about it.

#72    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 27 November 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

Well...makes sense. As opposing immigrants now leads to election defeats they might as well find a new enemy :devil:

Yes, by all means, let the UN dictate how we govern ourselves in the United States.  What happened to Obama's mantra about states rights?  Oh yeah, that's only useful when he's trying to dodge the political bullet called gay marriage.

The United States is the land of milk and honey for the disabled compared to the vast majority of the world.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#73    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 3,144 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

Anyone who takes this thread at title value is a moron.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#74    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 08 December 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

Anyone who takes this thread at title value is a moron.

Agreed.

Sometimes I think I could pass a law that calls for the execution of all left-handed people and as long as I called it the "I Love Puppies, Butterflies, Old People, Gays, Women, and Undocumented Aliens Bill" there'd be nutjobs on the left out there defending it.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users