Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SHOULD YOU GO TO JAIL?

Isis2200

WHAT'S YOUR OPINION?

linked-image

If you were to find this much money and you didn't turn it in to the authorities, could you go to jail? should you go to jail?

I once knew a man who found a blank money order. He signed it, cashed it, and was arrested.

Both cases are lost money. What do you think?

linked-image

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goalienan

• War Eagle

• Isis2200

• glorybebe

WHAT'S YOUR OPINION?

linked-image

If you were to find this much money and you didn't turn it in to the authorities, could you go to jail? should you go to jail?

I once knew a man who found a blank money order. He signed it, cashed it, and was arrested.

Both cases are lost money. What do you think?

linked-image

Finders keepers. Half for me and half for charity :D I wouldn't do the thing with the blank money order though, that's a bit naughty.

WB Isis.

Firstly if i found that amount of cash, silence becomes golden :devil:

Then i guess in all fairness & depending on where it came from & or by whom, if no one claims it/comes forward, then the authorities can politely KMA. :tu:

I would keep it all to myself and not say anything about it. Which any other honest person will admit. If you say you'd give it back then you talk garbage.

I would turn it into the authorities and sweat it out to see if it was unclaimed...With my luck it would be marked, and I'd get caught.. :rolleyes:

With my luck it would be marked, and I'd get caught.. :rolleyes:

lol! Thats why i said it depends on who lost it. Can you imagine if the bills were marked by the Mob?

Finders keepers. Half for me and half for charity :D I wouldn't do the thing with the blank money order though, that's a bit naughty.

But I personally don't feel that man should've gone to jail for cashing the money order. Finders keepers in that regard too. If someone lost a diamond ring and someone else found it and kept it, they wouldn't be arrested. This just doesn't make sense to me. :blink: I mean that man had to have someone bail him out of jail for doing that. His father-in-law put up his house as bail. This is preposterous. Does anyone else besides me not see the logic in this?

Thx Rebel.

linked-image
Edited by Isis2200

lol! Thats why i said it depends on who lost it. Can you imagine if the bills were marked by the Mob?

:lol: I'd have to call Uncle Luigi in to help me out..... and put my garlic necklace on.... :w00t:

Edited by goalienan

But I personally don't feel that man should've gone to jail for cashing the money order. Finders keepers in that regard too. If someone lost a diamond ring and someone else found it and kept it, they wouldn't be arrested. This just doesn't make sense to me. :blink: I mean that man had to have someone bail him out of jail for doing that. His father-in-law put up his house as bail. This is preposterous. Does anyone else besides me not see the logic in this?

Thx Rebel.

linked-image

I'm imagining the person who lost the m.o. had put a tracer on it, and when they found out it was cashed by someone else, they pressed charges...I didn't read about the bail and his father-in-law putting up his house...do you have a link...thanks...goalie

I'm imagining the person who lost the m.o. had put a tracer on it, and when they found out it was cashed by someone else, they pressed charges...I didn't read about the bail and his father-in-law putting up his house...do you have a link...thanks...goalie

Hi Goalienan, no this happened to someone I knew. I couldn't believe it when I heard about it. I would never press charges in a case like this; instead, I would just ask him to pay the money back in court.

linked-image

Thx Rebel.

linked-image

Well, I guess since the money order can be traced, that was number one not that smart on your friends part. See, as long as the original purchaser has the number of the money order, if/when it is lost, then they should report it to the place where they bought it, that is protecting themselves from exactly this situation. To cash it like that could be counted as fraud since he KNEW that it wasn't his. It may have been lost, but how do they prove it was lost or stolen? As soon as there is a way to trace something, don't mess with it, turn it in. And I feel sorry for the person who lost it, I lost my money for a float for waitressing, and I was screwed. Being a single mother and trying to get a few groceries and keep an eye on my daughter, I laid the wallet down and didn't realize that I hadn't put it in my backpack. I was frantic. I didn't have the money to replace it. But some very kind person found it and turned it in. Because of that, I would turn in most anything I found. And being a single mother, I would not take the chance that I would be found to have found something like that and go to jail andlose my daughter. Totally not worth it.

Hi Goalienan, no this happened to someone I knew. I couldn't believe it when I heard about it. I would never press charges in a case like this; instead, I would just ask him to pay the money back in court.

linked-image

It might have been out of the purchaser's ahnds. As soon as they put a tracer on it, the business they buy it from will report it to the police as soon as it turns up.

linked-image

Oh wow....I couldn't press charges either, but alot of times charges are automatically enforced and unfortunately it does go to court...

Well, I guess since the money order can be traced, that was number one not that smart on your friends part. See, as long as the original purchaser has the number of the money order, if/when it is lost, then they should report it to the place where they bought it, that is protecting themselves from exactly this situation. To cash it like that could be counted as fraud since he KNEW that it wasn't his. It may have been lost, but how do they prove it was lost or stolen? As soon as there is a way to trace something, don't mess with it, turn it in. And I feel sorry for the person who lost it, I lost my money for a float for waitressing, and I was screwed. Being a single mother and trying to get a few groceries and keep an eye on my daughter, I laid the wallet down and didn't realize that I hadn't put it in my backpack. I was frantic. I didn't have the money to replace it. But some very kind person found it and turned it in. Because of that, I would turn in most anything I found. And being a single mother, I would not take the chance that I would be found to have found something like that and go to jail andlose my daughter. Totally not worth it.

You were very lucky that there are still honest people out there glorybebe...I was bought up not to take anything that did not belong to me, and give back what I found...When I was about 4 years old, I was walking the avenue with my mom, and took a chestnut out of a basket outside a produce place..After about half a block I started crying, told my mom, and I walked back and put the chestnut in the same basket...A lousy chestnut, but that's how I was taught... :)

Yeah, like one time I found some food stamps outside on the ground in front of Albertson's. I turned it in because I thought about the struggling mom those stamps could have belonged to. I had a bad experience too. One time when I was a foolish kid one day I was carrying around quite a bit of money, and I lost it on the train. I was frantic that my wallet had slipped out and fallen on the seat. Well, I prayed and prayed and on Good Friday, I got a phone call. It was some very nice people who said you can come and pick up your wallet. My dad took me to pick it up, and guess what? All the money was still in it. I offered the kind people some money for their kindness, but they refused again and again, only giving me a big smile as they returned my wallet and said "Have a Happy Easter." :innocent:

linked-image

Yeah, like one time I found some food stamps outside on the ground in front of Albertson's. I turned it in because I thought about the struggling mom those stamps could have belonged to. I had a bad experience too. One time when I was a foolish kid one day I was carrying around quite a bit of money, and I lost it on the train. I was frantic that my wallet had slipped out and fallen on the seat. Well, I prayed and prayed and on Good Friday, I got a phone call. It was some very nice people who said you can come and pick up your wallet. My dad took me to pick it up, and guess what? All the money was still in it. I offered the kind people some money for their kindness, but they refused again and again, only giving me a big smile as they returned my wallet and said "Have a Happy Easter." :innocent:

linked-image

OH! Wow, what wonderful people. That is a great story, Isis2200!

I think it would depend and I'd have to give some consideration to how, where, and when it was found.

For example, many years ago I found a $50 bill in a deserted parking lot in a driving rain storm at about 2am outside a pub. No one had come or gone from the parking lot or pub for many hours. I did keep the money in that case, there was no way the owner was going to show up looking for it and no way to find the rightful owner of it. I could have left it there, but it would have just been destroyed by the rain.

If I found a huge burlap or bank bag full of money, ya, I would turn that in. Mostly because a bag of money that big is likely traceable by the police. I'd worry that the person who lost it met with foul play or was on their way to make a bank deposit when something went wrong.

I'm honest that way. Even a few months ago the guy at my neighborhood 7-11 accidentally gave me change for a $20 when I'd given him a $5... I didn't even realize it until I got home. I ran back up there and gave him the extra back.

Can't help it, I was always taught that I can't keep what isn't mine and I believe that.

Can't help it, I was always taught that I can't keep what isn't mine and I believe that.

Hey MMW i tell ya what, if you ever find a bundle like that give it all to me that way it'll help ease all that guilt. :yes:

lol!

But I personally don't feel that man should've gone to jail for cashing the money order.

Hmmmm... how about if you lost your cheque book and someone found it and wrote themselves a big fat cheque and then cashed it, taking all your money from your account?

Surely you'd want them punished. What's the difference, it's still fraud.

He filled in the details on the money order, ergo, he committed fraud. It's a punishable offence. Prison is a bit hard though, I certainly agree with that!

Regarding lost money.... well I think most people would keep it. I'd never be lucky enough to find that much money, but I don;t think my conscience would let me keep it even though I would like to.

I once found an 18kt yellow gold 1.5 ctw diamond ring at a gas station on Valentine's day. I gave my number to the manager at the gas station and ran an ad in the paper. Never did find the owner.

Would I keep cash money? I would probably watch the news to see if there was anything on it and decide from there.

I won't lie. I'd keep it. The money order is a different story though. I would try to find the owner. Not easy to do, but not impossible either.

I wouldn't turn it into the authorities....I would keep it until someone claims it. If no one does I would give it to charity.

I wouldn't turn it into the authorities....I would keep it until someone claims it. If no one does I would give it to charity.

Why veliska, are you rich and or don't you have any use for it ?!? :huh:

mhm. I have to say I would most probably keep it.

Though in the case of the money order I would turn that in because its traceable. But the cash would go straight in my pocket. I might make a halfhearted attempt to give it back but I wouldn't try to hard.

Why veliska, are you rich and or don't you have any use for it ?!? :huh:

No I am not rich...but there is alot of people that have it worse off them me. Trust me, Rebel, sweet darling, once I give it all to charity I would feel like the riches person in the world ;) I would give it all to orphans.