Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dogs & fencing for Calais in migrant crisis

Still Waters

Extra sniffer dogs and fencing will be sent to Calais to help deal with the migrant crisis, the prime minister has announced.

Speaking after chairing a meeting of the Cobra emergency committee, Mr Cameron said the situation was "not acceptable".

It follows a fourth night of disruption at the Calais Eurotunnel terminal.

"This is going to be a difficult issue right across the summer," Mr Cameron warned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33729024

Its all a load of rubbish. The Prime minister is weak, he should be shutting the tunnel, (which is majority owned by the French) and stopping shipping from Calais until the French step up and apply the legislation that's already in place.

We can continue with shipping from Cherbourg and Zeebrugge in Belgium. which would then have the thousands of migrants from Calais having to move - streaming across northern France, and into Belgium.

Its easily solved if we had a strong leader, the fiasco is already costing us £750million a day to the economy. re-route the lorries and stop the trains. the French will soon get a grip.

• Like 5

I agree the French need to get their act together, however the EU also needs to sort out once and for all the issue of seeking asylum within the "borderless" EU zone. Asylum should have to be applied for at the port of disembarkation into the EU, not be a case where a migrant has free travel within the EU to claim asylum in the country of their choice.

Once the decision to grant asylum is made, then those successful can be dispersed within the EU, while those who are unsuccessful can either apply for common residency or leave/be deported back to whence they came.

• Like 1

I agree the French need to get their act together, however the EU also needs to sort out once and for all the issue of seeking asylum within the "borderless" EU zone. Asylum should have to be applied for at the port of disembarkation into the EU, not be a case where a migrant has free travel within the EU to claim asylum in the country of their choice.

Once the decision to grant asylum is made, then those successful can be dispersed within the EU, while those who are unsuccessful can either apply for common residency or leave/be deported back to whence they came.

The EU loves their rules and regulations, and yet here we have a situation whereby no member is applying them. Britain is asking the French to apply them, but they turn the other cheek. because they dont want to be lumbered with the illegals. they'd rather carry on accepting British money and token gestures - knowing full well the illegals will keep trying to reach the UK. international convention states they should seek asylum in the first safe country. someone needs to apply the damn laws. How the hell in this day and age of heightened security is France allowing thousands of illegal aliens in their country. no ID, no papers no nothing. If thousands of People can flood in from Africa and the middle east and wander through europe at will, to reach northern europe. what's stopping the terrorists doing the same thing? and makes a mockery of our security.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 3

Cherbourg's port is small, at the momment it has a catamaran service but not enough height clearance. Le harve is a better option, though being a freight town I suspect mang companies are using that port anyway for time being.

Also which British ports can handle the load? Newhaven is small, Portsmouth has 3-4 berths but always busy. Poole I dont know. Unless youre thinking of Cherbourg-dover?

I say shutdown operation s at night or limited services. Have track and tunnel teams checking the tracks. Also you'd think trucking companies want compensation.

If worse comes to worse then use those miitary transport ships or car carriers.

Cherbourg's port is small, at the momment it has a catamaran service but not enough height clearance. Le harve is a better option, though being a freight town I suspect mang companies are using that port anyway for time being.

Also which British ports can handle the load? Newhaven is small, Portsmouth has 3-4 berths but always busy. Poole I dont know. Unless youre thinking of Cherbourg-dover?

I say shutdown operation s at night or limited services. Have track and tunnel teams checking the tracks. Also you'd think trucking companies want compensation.

If worse comes to worse then use those miitary transport ships or car carriers.

we just need to bypass Calais. or at least have the balls to shut the operation down till the French get a grip. I just cant get my head around it, How the hell can illegal immigrants with no rights or citizenship set up camp in a country and the authorities of that country do nothing. Just imagine if this was the USA dealing with the French.

• Like 1

we just need to bypass Calais. or at least have the balls to shut the operation down till the French get a grip. I just cant get my head around it, How the hell can illegal immigrants with no rights or citizenship set up camp in a country and the authorities of that country do nothing. Just imagine if this was the USA dealing with the French.

It wouldn't be any different. We have illegal immigrants pouring over our southern border on a regular basis.

• Like 2

Then better close every port to Europe... if it is not Calais they will try through Dunkirk or through Ostend or through the Hague.... and if the Northern ports are shut they will just go through Spain and Portugal. If you put a chicken sandwich in front of a hungry dog he will follow you home. We have been showing off our riches long enough in front of the hungry 3d world people.

It wouldn't be any different. We have illegal immigrants pouring over our southern border on a regular basis.

Yes, but if you was blessed with being surrounded by salty water, you, or the US government wouldn't put up with what's happening in France. its gone far beyond illegal migrants now, its costing the economy, travel and security. Its gone beyond a joke. they are jumping in the back of lorries while French police look on picking their nose. plus if a lorry driver injures the illegal migrants they or their company are liable to cover the Hospital costs.

Remember this isnt happening in some war torn country but France. everyone of these people are illegal aliens. yet not arrested.

No arrests made by the French police yet everyone you can see is in the country illegally.

Trucker driver view.

• Like 1

Then better close every port to Europe... if it is not Calais they will try through Dunkirk or through Ostend or through the Hague.... and if the Northern ports are shut they will just go through Spain and Portugal. If you put a chicken sandwich in front of a hungry dog he will follow you home. We have been showing off our riches long enough in front of the hungry 3d world people.

or just apply the laws and legislation that's in place right across the European Union. If we had secure borders we'd be in a position to better deal will illegals. How thousands of people can just wander through numerous EU countries to reach the Northern shores of Europe you have to ask questions. another failing brought to us thanks to the EU.

• Like 1

or just apply the laws and legislation that's in place right across the European Union. If we had secure borders we'd be in a position to better deal will illegals. How thousands of people can just wander through numerous EU countries to reach the Northern shores of Europe you have to ask questions. another failing brought to us thanks to the EU.

Well, see it this way: as soon as you guys leave the EU France will feel no longer obligated to stop anybody in France heading for England...that would be out of the EU.

• Like 1

ever wondered why there are so many refugees.

Because the US has waged war in Mexico and other South American countries? Of course it has nothing to do with the miserable conditions their own countries allow.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

Because the US has waged war in Mexico and other South American countries? Of course it has nothing to do with the miserable conditions their own countries allow.

Well, besides United Fruit and similar gangster companies... but Europe is just reaping what it sowed. Most people come from conflicts they ignored (caused during their colonial past) or former European colonies. And the destination of those refugees is mostly the Colonial motherlands. (except Sweden, as they are more tolerant the smarter refugees head there).

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 1

refugees and illegal immigrants arent the same, and I wont talk about US imperialism in south and middle america.

Yeah, everything was perfect until the damned US was formed some 300 years ago.

• Like 2

Okay... going into my right-wing-I-hate-everyone mindset:

Honestly, I might have been more taken with Cameron if instead of building up the UK during that BBC interview - "Oh, we've got lots of jobs, everything's great" (paraphrasing), he instead made it clear that if anyone enters the UK illegally, then they'll get booted out and not allowed in at any further time. That would have sent a somewhat more forceful message, not this woolly type crap. Look, these seeking asylum should be heard, but to just give into demands by the French that we spend more money that's in short supply to construct yet more fences, while their bloody lot do as little as it seems to deal actively with these camps being set up, is just getting annoying.

What is the problem with doing the following: Set up a section of troops at Dover or Folkestone, to work in conjunction with Immigration. This unit will be the first sight any illegal gets when they get pulled off the trucks, or step through the tunnel. A rifle pointed right at you, before you are hauled off for interrogation. Yes, that does sound harsh, but we have to send a message here. Try and enter by legal means you will get treated reasonably well. Try and do it illegally, then you won't be allowed anywhere near the UK either now or in the future.

• Like 2

you're still going to have that problem if each country was not in the E.U or E.U doesn't exist. Each country will blame it on the previous country.

• Like 1

Honestly, I might have been more taken with Cameron if instead of building up the UK during that BBC interview - "Oh, we've got lots of jobs, everything's great" (paraphrasing), he instead made it clear that if anyone enters the UK illegally, then they'll get booted out and not allowed in at any further time. That would have sent a somewhat more forceful message, not this woolly type crap. Look, these seeking asylum should be heard, but to just give into demands by the French that we spend more money that's in short supply to construct yet more fences, while their bloody lot do as little as it seems to deal actively with these camps being set up, is just getting annoying.

What is the problem with doing the following: Set up a section of troops at Dover or Folkestone, to work in conjunction with Immigration. This unit will be the first sight any illegal gets when they get pulled off the trucks, or step through the tunnel. A rifle pointed right at you, before you are hauled off for interrogation. Yes, that does sound harsh, but we have to send a message here. Try and enter by legal means you will get treated reasonably well. Try and do it illegally, then you won't be allowed anywhere near the UK either now or in the future.

aiming at a large group of people with gun a is a huge no no, these immigrants aren't killing people? and anyway what if some of them want to be threatened? so that they can get more human rights?.

Justget everyone together and tell them that, this is what we are going to do etc etc. Or create a immigration area where you question every one on why would you come to the UK? if you have highly skill education or employment abilities, then we'll need proof. The U.S has these immigration areas in Irish Airports, so the idea is you deal with them there and then, rather than here in the UK

wtf is wrong with you there are people who fled from war and things you cant even imagine and you want to point a gun at them, there are also kids among them..... can this get any more ridicolous.

wtf is wrong with you there are people who fled from war and things you cant even imagine and you want to point a gun at them, there are also kids among them..... can this get any more ridicolous.

How many homeless people have you invited to stay in your home? I have a real problem with the self-righteous not practicing what they preach. How many people could you clothe and feed before you go completely broke.?

• Like 5

How many homeless people have you invited to stay in your home? I have a real problem with the self-righteous not practicing what they preach. How many people could you clothe and feed before you go completely broke.?

In this case the question is: how much do you have to do to compensate people for colonial rule, arbitrary border tracing that are the cause of most wars in the former colonies and using most of your former colonies to use up your ancient militaria?

And here an interesting article that sheds some light on the whole UK thingy:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-30/uk-immigration-the-facts-in-nine-charts

• Like 1

And there are also many who 'just want' to live in the land of milk and honey...a-la free housing and benefits, free healthcare... or as others have said, terrorists...

In the UK we have entire Towns.... that are settled by immigrants, Leicester, Luton for example....majority are asian or indian, I can never quite tell the difference... in London, ENTIRE boroughs are occupied by Jews, Greeks, Turks, Kurds, Africans and Nigerians... and now Polish, Lithuanian, Ukrainian, Romanians

How much more can we take? The ones who settle here, lots anyway, dont even speak OUR language, yet they still have the right to build mosques etc.. Us English are totally hacked off with it

And then they turn round and p*** on our shoes and want us to live under their laws...because HERE they have human rights.... there are even muslim gangs roaming the streets attacking English folk for drinking, having a short skirt...being gay...basically for being free and english

Dont believe me...watch this for 4 mins, from Luton...then tell me YOU are quite happy with what you see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZBaJU_Cvo

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

And there are also many who 'just want' to live in the land of milk and honey...a-la free housing and benefits, free healthcare... or as others have said, terrorists...

In the UK we have entire Towns.... that are settled by immigrants, Leicester, Luton for example....majority are asian or indian, I can never quite tell the difference... in London, ENTIRE boroughs are occupied by Jews, Greeks, Turks, Kurds, Africans and Nigerians... and now Polish, Lithuanian, Ukrainian, Romanians

How much more can we take? The ones who settle here, lots anyway, dont even speak OUR language, yet they still have the right to build mosques etc.. Us English are totally hacked off with it

And then they turn round and p*** on our shoes and want us to live under their laws...because HERE they have human rights.... there are even muslim gangs roaming the streets attacking English folk for drinking, having a short skirt...being gay...basically for being free and english

Dont believe me...watch this for 4 mins, from Luton...then tell me YOU are quite happy with what you see

Can you please not post anything that goes against the narrative? These are desperate refugees seeking a better life for their families.

...until they get into the UK and realize there is no militarized police to keep them in check. I've been following the headlines on this, Seeder and I'm very concerned for the English people. The law is not on their side and make no mistake: these "refugees" are well aware of that. Sharia Law Zones ...give me a break. Pedophilia rings going unchecked...hell, I just read about a Somalian war criminal living comfortably in a quaint little town on government money. The neighbours had no idea who he was.

• Like 2

Can you please not post anything that goes against the narrative? These are desperate refugees seeking a better life for their families.

...until they get into the UK and realize there is no militarized police to keep them in check. I've been following the headlines on this, Seeder and I'm very concerned for the English people. The law is not on their side and make no mistake: these "refugees" are well aware of that. Sharia Law Zones ...give me a break. Pedophilia rings going unchecked...hell, I just read about a Somalian war criminal living comfortably in a quaint little town on government money. The neighbours had no idea who he was.

The independent's cartoonist sums it up quite well:

daily-cartoon20150731.jpg

Source