Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tesco Has Banned Ribena

Michelle

On Monday, Tesco announced the sad news that Ribena, Capri-Sun and Rubicon will no longer grace their shelves.

The decision to remove the drinks was made in a bid to tackle childhood obesity, and will come into action after the kids have gone back to school on 7 September.

The move may have been welcomed by health campaigners, but naturally, the internet is outraged...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07/28/tesco-ribena-ban-reaction_n_7885776.html

Wow!

• Like 4

Hmm, I suppose it's a start and they have to be congratulated, but there are so many angles to this. For instance, some parents would rather let their children have limited amounts of sugary drinks and avoid artificial sweeteners.

A better move might have been to stop selling all sweets.

On Monday, Tesco announced the sad news that Ribena, Capri-Sun and Rubicon will no longer grace their shelves.

The decision to remove the drinks was made in a bid to tackle childhood obesity, and will come into action after the kids have gone back to school on 7 September.

The move may have been welcomed by health campaigners, but naturally, the internet is outraged...

http://www.huffingto..._n_7885776.html

Wow!

I'm ambivalent on this one. While I dislike having choice removed as a rule, I think that corporate America is a better mechanism for such acts than the first lady's methods. I too would love to see a return to physical fitness and nutrition becoming "cool" for the majority of young people. But demanding that children change a part of their lives that they have developed over years is something that must be done with care and MOTIVATION, not demanded by fiat.

Ive never heard kids crying because they cant buy a drink in Tesco's, but for sure they cry if they have to pass by the sweet counter. Wonder which makes more money, Ribena... or the sweets and multi pack crisps for lunchboxes, or and the biscuits and tubs of ice cream! :lol:

I actually drink Ribena, a bottle can last me weeks, its not like Im drinking it daily though. Besides a lot of kids in the UK are mad for those 'energy drinks' too, and regardless of what Tesco will or wont sell, its just one shop out of many. You see kids spending money at sweetshops daily, where they can buy what they like, so it doesnt really matter what Tesco does....does it?

• Like 1

I just don't like it when other people arbirtrarily decide what is right for everyone else. They still sell cigarettes and alcohol. My husband and I are both thin, I cook healthy foods and don't keep sweets in the house. Every once in a while he can't stand it, goes to the store by himself and loads up with ice cream and cookies. I don't complain because it's only a few times a year. :P

• Like 2

A key component of obesity is of course lack of exercise. Fortunately both my lads are football mad and dont have an ounce of fat... but with kids having smart phones/tablets and games consoles...and on-line brain suckers like facebook...they dont want to be too active. I see kids in the park sometimes... not running about, or playing on swings etc.. but sat on a bench looking at their devices

Edited by Still Waters
Copyrighted image removed
  • Like 2

Wonder why they picked on ribena? Their shelves grown under the weight of unhealthy foodstuffs with massive quantities of added sugar and chemicals. Like full fat coke. And they pick on one product. More to this than meets the eye.

• Like 2

Today the fight is against sugar, it'll be something else in a few years time, People will remember the fight use to be against Salt, too much salt. were eating to much salt etc. etc. That lasted for a few years before the campaign against salt run out of legs, so that died a death - So Next up was FAT, Fat content of products too much FAT, we have to much fat in our diets, a few years went by and that campaign also run out of legs, So now its Sugar, Sugar. god damn it.

Were moving away from Natural additives, that our bodies recognise to man made additives which trick the body, such as E-numbers, artificial sweeteners, such as Aspartame, give me sugar cane any day of the week. We was told to eat margarine over butter, Margarine over butter because it has less FAT and is made from vegetable oil, all sounds good until you realise margarine is messed with so much by adding artificial food additives to resemble Butter - you'd be better off just eating Butter.

i was watching a show only last night on the BBC "trust me im a Doctor" they found all these vegetable oils for cooking such as sunflower etc. are healthy well, it turns out they aren't once you start heating them up to cook food in, they start making chemicals which can be cancer related. and the more you re-use the same oil the more of these chemicals they produce. guess what actually came out best in the test Lard and Butter. the damn things we were told to steer away from.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p02ybfrf

My philosophy is dont stray to far from Nature and you wont go far wrong.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 4

I'm ambivalent on this one. While I dislike having choice removed as a rule,

The thing is that these drinks are marketed towards children, and children don't really have a choice (or at least aren't old enough to know what the choice means past 'sugar tastes good').

I welcome the move and personally think there should be more restrictions on sugar, or at least tell us how much sugar is actually in a product.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1

A better move would be if parents took charge of what their kids consumed. If you get them started early on better eating habits then having roly poly kids is less likely.

• Like 5

The sheer dazzling cynicism of tesco, one of the worst, most rapacious capitalist monsters, pretending that they "just want to look after the health of our Children, by a headline grabbing gimmick like this, really would take one's breath away if one hadn't already seen through the facade of capitalism being the natural state for a civilised society.

• Like 4

The thing is that these drinks are marketed towards children, and children don't really have a choice (or at least aren't old enough to know what the choice means past 'sugar tastes good').

I welcome the move and personally think there should be more restrictions on sugar, or at least tell us how much sugar is actually in a product.

...it's far too late for that now. With this unilateral action, Tesco has just driven ribena production into the arms of the unscrupulous black 'current' marketeers who will be flooding our school grounds with cheap back yard produced black current drinks with unregulated sugar levels.

Drugs, violence and now this, Damn!

• Like 2

...it's far too late for that now. With this unilateral action, Tesco has just driven ribena production into the arms of the unscrupulous black 'current' marketeers who will be flooding our school grounds with cheap back yard produced black current drinks with unregulated sugar levels.

Drugs, violence and now this, Damn!

Are you trying to tell us that TESCO is the only place selling the stuff?

Are you trying to tell us that TESCO is the only place selling the stuff?

...well thank goodness. The thought of backyard ribena, without any quality controls was beginning to freak me out.

• Like 1

I don't use Tesco as they rip you off compared with other stores.They sell petrol at 3 pence more than other outlets as they have a monopoly in my small town.

If Ribena was banned altogether, another drink would take its place.

Many high fat products can truthfully claim to be low in sugar, while many high sugar products can truthfully claim to be low in fat. Clever marketing will always be one step ahead. Even 'No Added Sugar' is truthful yet misleading.

Edited by acute
  • Like 2

If Ribena was banned altogether, another drink would take its place.

Many high fat products can truthfully claim to be low in sugar, while many high sugar products can truthfully claim to be low in fat. Clever marketing will always be one step ahead. Even 'No Added Sugar' is truthful yet misleading.

The problem is when you eat a meal that's high in fat or even high in simple carbs, then wash it down with a drink that has over 10 spoonfuls of sugar. Instead of burning the fat or carbs, the body goes for the easier option which is the refined sugar. What's left over is then stored as fat.

There is simply no reason to eat anything with sugar at all. No reason whatsoever.

• Like 1

http://www.huffingto..._n_7885776.html

Wow!

Since when was it down to stores to police people's eating habits.

Nanny state is creeping onto us.

• Like 1

Since when was it down to stores to police people's eating habits.

Nanny state is creeping onto us.

Tesco are losing trade and closing many stores in the UK... this story is just their hype to redeem themselves

• Like 2

The problem is when you eat a meal that's high in fat or even high in simple carbs, then wash it down with a drink that has over 10 spoonfuls of sugar. Instead of burning the fat or carbs, the body goes for the easier option which is the refined sugar. What's left over is then stored as fat.

There is simply no reason to eat anything with sugar at all. No reason whatsoever.

Yes your body goes for the sugar first and when your sugar levels are low it lowers your metabolism to try and make its sugar stores last. Only when it is left with no choice does it burn fat. The main reason people are fat is that they never let their bodies burn the fat they eat by eating sugar. Even worse your liver can not provide fat as an energy source when their is alcohol in your systems. Some surprising things are alcohols include some of the artificial sweeteners used.

The dietary advice going around where fat increases your bad cholesterol is wrong. It only does it when you aren't getting Omega-3 because the alternative your body makes produces bad cholesterol as a side product. Those muppet doctors saying don't drink whole milk miss the point where a pint of whole milk has the same amount of Omega-3 in it as a portion of oily fish. There is even b******s about that going wrong where some want you to believe the cow has to be grass fed or live a natural lifestyle. All whole cows milk is high in Omega-3.

My advice is switch the sugary food and drinks for diary.

Tesco are losing trade and closing many stores in the UK... this story is just their hype to redeem themselves

No they aren't, they are the market leader here in the UK and in many other nations around the world.

• Like 1

No they aren't, they are the market leader here in the UK and in many other nations around the world.

Tesco closing stores

Troubled Tesco

43 unprofitable stores to be closed

£250m of cost cuts planned

49 planned new stores to be cancelled

0.3% fall in like-for-like store sales over the six-week Christmas period

Source: Tesco

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-31023136

http://www.cityam.co...stol-nottingham

Edited by seeder

Well, someone has to pay for the accounting scandal. As usual it is the employees.

My advice is switch the sugary food and drinks for diary.

My advice is switch them with water.

• Like 1

Hey dont forget Tesco's scandal with horsemeat....

And the foods they 'then' banned :lol: