Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Can you see a way to prevent global warming?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

Can you think of an idea that might be a step in the right direction? i dont think one idea can make a effect but many peoples ideas used in unison might. if you see that someone else has your idea, like it or try to think of a way that you can improve their idea.

heres a question i wrote earlier but thought id use it to get the ball rolling

are there plants that convert more CO2 than others, i think in the future we should harvest plants for their ecological benefits. recently found out that plants respire oxygen when out of a light source and produce CO2.
havent thought on commiting to testing this out but if i did, i would place the plants in glass airsealed containers to see which one turned yellow first under a uv light to see which one uses up it carbon dioxide first. (chlorophyl is green so colour discolouration would mean lack of co2 to synthesize.
thoughts on this? any obvious flaws that i might of missed that could be pointed out would be appreciated. my thoughts probably wont come to fruitition as im capricious in my pondering but thanks anyway :)

Edited by Armchair Educated, 30 April 2013 - 12:06 AM.

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#2    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:42 AM

Get Earth's human population to live like cavemen, or the extinction of humankind.

Other than that, I've got nothing.

Maybe we should look at the root of the problem, first, and not the problem itself. What's producing the increasing CO2 levels? Maybe if we cut down on CO2 production, it would help somewhat? I don't know.

Are we looking to a solution to a problem that we are responsible for? If that's the case, maybe if we just need to remove the problem, then we won't need a solution. Just my own thought...

Edited by Mnemonix, 30 April 2013 - 12:51 AM.

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,522 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:08 AM

Either we're doing it, or it's something natural.
Either way there's sod all we can do to stop it from happening. So what we need to do is adapt our thinking to a warmer world.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#4    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,261 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:49 AM

View PostArmchair Educated, on 30 April 2013 - 12:02 AM, said:

Can you think of an idea that might be a step in the right direction? i dont think one idea can make a effect but many peoples ideas used in unison might. if you see that someone else has your idea, like it or try to think of a way that you can improve their idea.

heres a question i wrote earlier but thought id use it to get the ball rolling

are there plants that convert more CO2 than others, i think in the future we should harvest plants for their ecological benefits. recently found out that plants respire oxygen when out of a light source and produce CO2.
havent thought on commiting to testing this out but if i did, i would place the plants in glass airsealed containers to see which one turned yellow first under a uv light to see which one uses up it carbon dioxide first. (chlorophyl is green so colour discolouration would mean lack of co2 to synthesize.
thoughts on this? any obvious flaws that i might of missed that could be pointed out would be appreciated. my thoughts probably wont come to fruitition as im capricious in my pondering but thanks anyway :)
I've heard the Pot people over and over again say that hemp absorbs like 4 times the carbon as other plants. Not sure if that is true or not. But surely there are some plants that do collect more CO2 then others.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#5    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,554 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:53 AM

So what we need to do is adapt our thinking to a warmer world.

This, while doing all we can to slow down CO2 production.

#6    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,261 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:04 AM

It is just another Engineering project. I can think of lots of things to do.
1) Create more cloud cover...There are several methods. Reflects more sun = cooler ground = cooler Earth
2) Build chemical plants to draw carbon dioxide out of the air = Less CO2 = cooler Earth
3) Build giant heat exchangers that take the heat and sink it away somewhere, or convert it to electricity.
4) Make all blacktop surfaces, and rooftops white. More reflective = cooler surface = cooler Earth
5) Encourage (controlled) algae blooms in the ocean. The algea takes the carbon to the bottom of the ocean when it dies.
6) Possition an asteroid between the Earth and the Sun. Less light hitting the Earth = cooler surface = cooler Earth.
7) Individual efforts... http://environment.a...balwarmtips.htm
8) Supposedly burning Fossil Fuels, such as gasoline in cars and coal in electric plants, is the #1 contributor to Global Warming. So anything that would cut that fossil fuel usage would help.
-  Electric cars
-  Clean coal plants

But supposedly there is enough greenhouse gases that even if we stopped burning fossil fuels right now, it might be too late to prevent rising sea levels and lots of Climate change.

The engineering challenge is not even very hard. It is simply Expensive. And no one wants to be the nation that builds the scrubber plants to clean the air, when their neighbor is still using dirty coal plants.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#7    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,595 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:12 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 30 April 2013 - 03:04 AM, said:

It is just another Engineering project. I can think of lots of things to do.
1) Create more cloud cover...There are several methods. Reflects more sun = cooler ground = cooler Earth
2) Build chemical plants to draw carbon dioxide out of the air = Less CO2 = cooler Earth
3) Build giant heat exchangers that take the heat and sink it away somewhere, or convert it to electricity.
4) Make all blacktop surfaces, and rooftops white. More reflective = cooler surface = cooler Earth
5) Encourage (controlled) algae blooms in the ocean. The algea takes the carbon to the bottom of the ocean when it dies.
6) Possition an asteroid between the Earth and the Sun. Less light hitting the Earth = cooler surface = cooler Earth.
7) Individual efforts... http://environment.a...balwarmtips.htm
8) Supposedly burning Fossil Fuels, such as gasoline in cars and coal in electric plants, is the #1 contributor to Global Warming. So anything that would cut that fossil fuel usage would help.
-  Electric cars
-  Clean coal plants

But supposedly there is enough greenhouse gases that even if we stopped burning fossil fuels right now, it might be too late to prevent rising sea levels and lots of Climate change.

The engineering challenge is not even very hard. It is simply Expensive. And no one wants to be the nation that builds the scrubber plants to clean the air, when their neighbor is still using dirty coal plants.

I heard that if we made all new roads, rooftops and man made structures white, it would reduce the gloabl temperature levels more than CO2 has increased them in the last 100years

#8    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,406 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 30 April 2013 - 03:12 AM, said:

I heard that if we made all new roads, rooftops and man made structures white, it would reduce the gloabl temperature levels more than CO2 has increased them in the last 100years
That is only a temporary fix which eventually makes matters worse as you run out of surfaces to paint and the planet resumes warming - but faster due to the increased concentration of CO2.

Plant **** loads of trees - every available surface. Use this as your primary heating fuel source (carbon neutral).
Invest massively in alternative energies such as wind, biogas and solar.
Re-localize agriculture - only a tiny amount of our food should travel more than 100miles.
Carry on using education and cross support to reduce overall fertility rates in all corners of the globe.

It is my belief that massive reforestation could produce a complete stop in Global Warming and represent a foundation for a sustainable energy future.

Br Cornellius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#9    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,260 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

Nothing will happen, and global warming will proceed.  It is possible that natural processes will step in at some point and establish an equilibrium at a higher temperature than now, it is possible this won't happen, and at some point human action on a global scale will intervene, and it is possible that some horrid threshold will be crossed, and we will almost overnight become a duplicate of Venus.

#10    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 30 April 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

Nothing will happen, and global warming will proceed.  It is possible that natural processes will step in at some point and establish an equilibrium at a higher temperature than now, it is possible this won't happen, and at some point human action on a global scale will intervene, and it is possible that some horrid threshold will be crossed, and we will almost overnight become a duplicate of Venus.

Global warming will proceed, and so will global cooling. (In fact, right now predictions are that we are in for a prolonged cooling period.) The whole premise of this thread is wrong. There has never been such a thing as a stable global climate. The only constant is that the climate is always changing,

The current "global warming" hysteria is a manufactered scam by interest groups to collect grants and other tax money.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,260 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

It is true that there has never been such a thing as stable global climate, but you draw an entirely erroneous conclusion from it.  We are now in a pattern of global warming when in fact we should be entering an ice age, and the scientific evidence is convincing that this is human caused.  

Therefore, I reject your paranoid assertion that it is hysteria and your assertion that those supporting the idea are being dishonest for monetary reasons.

I think the probable consequences have here and there been exaggerated for political purposes, but the scientific base of the conclusion is accurate.

#12    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 30 April 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

That is only a temporary fix which eventually makes matters worse as you run out of surfaces to paint and the planet resumes warming - but faster due to the increased concentration of CO2.

Plant **** loads of trees - every available surface. Use this as your primary heating fuel source (carbon neutral).
Invest massively in alternative energies such as wind, biogas and solar.
Re-localize agriculture - only a tiny amount of our food should travel more than 100miles.
Carry on using education and cross support to reduce overall fertility rates in all corners of the globe.

It is my belief that massive reforestation could produce a complete stop in Global Warming and represent a foundation for a sustainable energy future.

Br Cornellius

Researchers pinpoint how trees play role in smog production

After years of scientific uncertainty and speculation, researchers at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill show exactly how trees help create one of society's predominant environmental and health concerns: air pollution.

It has long been known that trees produce and emit isoprene, an abundant molecule in the air known to protect leaves from oxygen damage and temperature fluctuations. However, in 2004, researchers, contrary to popular assumptions, revealed that isoprene was likely involved in the production of particulate matter, tiny particles that can get lodged in lungs, lead to lung cancer and asthma, and damage other tissues, not to mention the environment.
But exactly how was anybody's guess.

The study found that isoprene, once it is chemically altered via exposure to the sun, reacts with man-made nitrogen oxides to create particulate matter. Nitrogen oxides are pollutants created by cars, trucks, aircrafts, coal plants and other large scale sources.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news...uction.html#jCp

http://phys.org/news...production.html

So if we were to follow your advice we would be killing ourselves on a much larger scale. Unless you're proposing we just stop using any form of transportation, just like that.

#13    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,406 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 30 April 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

Global warming will proceed, and so will global cooling. (In fact, right now predictions are that we are in for a prolonged cooling period.) The whole premise of this thread is wrong. There has never been such a thing as a stable global climate. The only constant is that the climate is always changing,

The current "global warming" hysteria is a manufactered scam by interest groups to collect grants and other tax money.
Global cooling, as predicted by the solar scientists (those who know) is estimated at just 20% of the climate, that is a relatively small proportion of the overall climate change. That means that if the predicted grand minima happens it will only offset some of the warming we have already experienced, and meanwhile the other factors will carry on driving up temperatures - but at a reduced rate. Only a major volcanic erruption can upset this trajectory and send us into a serious medium term cooling regime.

The climate operates on centuries basis and small perturbations will not effect the overall trajectory of AGW (as demonstrated by the majority of scientists in the field).

Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#14    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,406 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

View PostRender, on 30 April 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

Researchers pinpoint how trees play role in smog production

http://phys.org/news...production.html

So if we were to follow your advice we would be killing ourselves on a much larger scale. Unless you're proposing we just stop using any form of transportation, just like that.
Did you notice the critically important part which you didn't point to - man made NOx caused predominently by fossil fuel burning are essential for the formation of smog. Smog only occurs where there is a mix of sunlight, man made pollution and a mix of organic chemicals in the atmosphere. The primary form of condensate nuclea is diesel and coal smoke emissions.

To quote the article;

"We certainly can't cut down all the trees," Surratt adds, "but we can work on reducing these man-made emissions to cut down the production of fine particulate matter."

A strong case then for reducing our dependence on fossil fuels.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 30 April 2013 - 08:49 AM.

Robert Anton Wilson

#15    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 30 April 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

Did you notice the critically important part which you didn't point to -

Br Cornelius
Eum, i put it in bold ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic