Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Intruder dies in home invasion

glorybebe

Police responded to a 911 call just after 12:30 a.m.

When they arrived, the suspects were gone and 22-year-old Ibrahim Abukar was found dead. He was alleged to have broken into the home along with the two other men.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/12/07/mississauga-shooting.html

I wonder if the owner(s) will be charged with anything?

Well the guy has a wife, 2 kids, a tenant and was invaded by 3 burglars. I think shooting one down is a reasonable deterrent to scare the others off.

One less criminal is the world to rob someone others in the future.

• Like 4

What are the gun ownership laws in Canada? If they had legal firearms I can't imagine not being able to defend one's life in a home invasion.

Intruder shot dead during home invasion? There are news stories out there with no bad endings~ Hope the home owner doesn't get in trouble though.

• Like 2

Let's recap this: Armed criminals break into a man's home and the home owner is able to shoot one sending the others fleeing.

Sounds like a very good outcome IMO. We could be reading about an entire family being slaughtered. Criminals choose their behaviour, people defending themselves are forced to act.

• Like 5

Sounds like the exact description of what is supposed to happen due to homeowner gun ownership.

• Like 2

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...a-shooting.html

it doesn't say who shot the guy. if the two intruders were the armed men it would follow that they shot him in the scuffle. if the homeowner was armed, and the bullet came from his gun they would have to figure out if indeed there was a scuffle or if the homeowner just shot the guy and the other two took off or what.

What are the gun ownership laws in Canada? If they had legal firearms I can't imagine not being able to defend one's life in a home invasion.

i'm, not up on the actual laws pertaining to this but i do know that it's not a simple matter here if you shoot an intruder as it might be in places in the usa.

your guns have to be locked up at all times when not in use so it's not like we all have a gun in the bedside table on the ready. it would be more likely a baseball bat or a tire iron under the bed

your guns have to be locked up at all times when not in use so it's not like we all have a gun in the bedside table on the ready

technically all you need is a trigger lock on your gun (if its non-restricted - ie, most rifles and shotguns). and trigger locks take about three seconds to remove, depending on how close the key is to your hand :whistle: and then it would simply depend on how quick the man can load it... so...

Edited by Bavarian Raven

I don't condone killing people but if an armed assailant breaks into my home I wouldn't think twice abut saving my family and friends. :gun:

• Like 2

technically all you need is a trigger lock on your gun (if its non-restricted - ie, most rifles and shotguns). and trigger locks take about three seconds to remove, depending on how close the key is to your hand :whistle: and then it would simply depend on how quick the man can load it... so...

i remember there being more restrictions on it that just a trigger lock. they couldn't be stored in an unlocked area. my ex had many firearms and those that weren't in a safe had to be in an inaccessible room (meaning locked)

edit to say, it could be the handguns specifically i'm referring to - sorry didn't register that you were talking about rifles/shotguns

also, if i remember correctly the ammunition cannot be stored in the same place as the firearm

Edited by JGirl

i remember there being more restrictions on it that just a trigger lock. they couldn't be stored in an unlocked area. my ex had many firearms and those that weren't in a safe had to be in an inaccessible room (meaning locked)

edit to say, it could be the handguns specifically i'm referring to - sorry didn't register that you were talking about rifles/shotguns

also, if i remember correctly the ammunition cannot be stored in the same place as the firearm

When it comes to restricted firearms (in canada), its a whole different ball park. but unrestricted like most rifles and shotguns, all you need is a trigger lock (or something akin to it), and its all good. :yes: (well, unless you were the thieves in this story, then its not all good :innocent::whistle: ). Guns laws for rifles and shotguns are not that strict in Canada (not that I am complaining :yes: ).

When it comes to restricted firearms (in canada), its a whole different ball park. but unrestricted like most rifles and shotguns, all you need is a trigger lock (or something akin to it), and its all good. :yes: (well, unless you were the thieves in this story, then its not all good :innocent::whistle: ). Guns laws for rifles and shotguns are not that strict in Canada (not that I am complaining :yes: ).

most of my ex's collection were handguns which is probably why i wasn't aware of the different laws on rifles etc. thanks

From the article: "Peel police said that the men, two of whom were armed, were confronted by the homeowner. A struggle ensued, resulting in Abukar's death."

It sounds like Abukar was shot with his own gun. If so, I think that the other two might be charged in his death.

Let's recap this: Armed criminals break into a man's home and the home owner is able to shoot one sending the others fleeing.

Sounds like a very good outcome IMO. We could be reading about an entire family being slaughtered. Criminals choose their behaviour, people defending themselves are forced to act.

By breaking the law, the perps have knowingly taken someone else's rights away. In this instance, they took away the right of this family to be safe in their own home. Maybe if the punishments were harsher, then maybe the would be perps wouldn't bother trying.

• Like 1

Dang, you can't have a loaded, ready-to-go gun in your nightstand in Canada?

What a shame, I would do it anyway.

Exactly - as long as it's safe to keep one in that manner (i.e. kids, etc.) - it's your word against nobody that the gun wasn't stored appropriately.

Exactly - as long as it's safe to keep one in that manner (i.e. kids, etc.) - it's your word against nobody that the gun wasn't stored appropriately.

I grew up in the country where dad had to protect our animals from being prey. We always had a loaded gun near the door. We were raised not to touch it. Only aim at something you plan to kill.

• Like 1

Good for the homeowner. What will make this more amazing is if actually did get a hold of the intruders weapon and shoot him with it. It would just be plain ol' boring if he shot him with his own gun.

Stay the hell out of my country, please.

Stay the hell out of my country, please.

LOL! I agree!

Not exactly to you, Palladin, just those who truly believe that guns are the answer and everyone should have one.

Edited by glorybebe

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...a-shooting.html

#1.....Good Job Home Owners!!!!! ......If this happened more often, dumb asses would think twice about breaking in.

In Nevada, this would be fine.....It is prefectlly legal to kill someone in your home...( intruder )

This states Las Vegas, but it is State wide...

If someone enters my home, can I kill him in self-defense in Las Vegas, NV?

In certain circumstances. If someone enters your home with the obvious intent to commit a felony (such as burglary) or to physically hurt someone in the house, it is justifiable to kill the intruder. (NRS 200.12)

Also.....

What is self-defense in

Las Vegas, NV?

Self-defense is a legal defense in Nevada that excuses violent behavior that otherwise would be criminal. As long as you're reasonably trying to protect yourself, the law recognizes that you shouldn't be penalized for hurting or even mortally wounding someone else.

http://www.shouselaw.com/nevada/self-defense.html

Nevada law, NRS 200.120, ........... “justifiable homicide is the killing of a human being in necessary self-defense, or in defense of habitation, property or person, against one who manifestly intends or endeavors, by violence or surprise, to commit a felony ... in a violent, riotous, tumultuous or surreptitious manner.”

I am glad to hear no one other than the robber was harmed in this case...

The loss of human life is sad, but the man made his choices. And that included threatening the potential safety of those children.