Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Deepest undersea vents discovered

Still Waters

UK scientists exploring the ocean floor in the Caribbean have discovered an "astounding" set of hydrothermal vents, the deepest anywhere in the world.

Deploying a remotely-operated vehicle (ROV) in the Cayman Trough, they stumbled across a previously-unknown site nearly 5000m below the surface.

Video pictures relayed live back to the research ship mounting the operation show spindly chimneys up to 10m high.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21520404

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr.United_Nations

• Sundew

• regeneratia

• Starseed hybrid 1111

It is kind of fascinating that still now we have so much to discover on this planet.

It is also kind of scary because as we increase our reaches in the ocean deeper and deeper I hope we don't start eating the deep sea creatures also.

I mean I can clearly see that they are not meant to be part of our food chain naturally, but anyways, many things weren't.

What I also found strange that the name of the machine that was discovering these things deep down the ocean was "Predator", I have no idea why they named that. Maybe I am thinking too much.

I hope they don't start eating these creatures also.

We'd rather go to other planets than properly explore the oceans. More media hype and money available.

It is kind of fascinating that still now we have so much to discover on this planet.

It is also kind of scary because as we increase our reaches in the ocean deeper and deeper I hope we don't start eating the deep sea creatures also.

I mean I can clearly see that they are not meant to be part of our food chain naturally, but anyways, many things weren't.

What I also found strange that the name of the machine that was discovering these things deep down the ocean was "Predator", I have no idea why they named that. Maybe I am thinking too much.

I hope they don't start eating these creatures also.

If the base of this food chain is sulfur digesting bacteria, I would imagine that these creatures (if edible) would not be very tasty.

i agree its not about the science although i love discovering new info/knowledge real knowledge not the B.S we hear from the news stations like NBC and etc.i don't listen to the mainstream media and news stations anyway but its just an example.but that is true we think we know a lot about the ocean but the truth is there's like 95% of the oceans we haven't discovered or even yet don't know what there.mother earth and nature is amazing though.and humans treat it such a negative way and such bad ways that we think there are no negative consequnces or effects

I always find this particular subject fascinating. I don't know any science for it. However it is so intriguing.

Edited by regeneratia

we no doubt will destroy that part of the planet as we are the rest of it.

Can't really destroy it, the vents will still be there for thousands of years