Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

400-year-old witchcraft trial resumes

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,473 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

www.telegraph.co.uk said:

The trial of a woman burnt at the stake 400 years ago for witchcraft resumed in Germany on Monday in an effort to clear the woman's name.

Katharina Henot suffered her fiery fate in Cologne in 1627 after being found guilty of practicing black magic. Arrested, and tortured to such an extent that the right-handed woman had to scrawl her last letter of defence with her left hand, she was eventually paraded through the city in an open cart before being tied to a stake and burnt.

Now the panel on the city council whose predecessors found her guilty of witchcraft hundreds of years ago will review the evidence.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Robbie333

Robbie333

"Seek and you shall find"

• 2,790 posts

• Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there; I do not sleep.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

Simply amazing this is going on. I hope her name is cleared. All witch trials were a farce society should be ashamed of. The only real witch I ever met was my ex-wife--lol, Sorry.

Robbie James

#3    Jen369

Jen369

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

• The cloth of reality is woven from the thread of dreams. Dream on.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

View PostRobbie333, on 13 February 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

The only real witch I ever met was my ex-wife--lol, Sorry.

HA!

But in all seriousness...this is a really good thing! Hopefully her descendants will be able to see her name venerated.

#4    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 12,464 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

Just see if she wieghs the same as a duck, if so........WITCH!

#5    angi chiesa

angi chiesa

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

I understand that this was done because the catholic church wanted control of the people. If a woman cured your warts then she was a witch . Only Jesus cured the sick .Only he could work such miraclesAnd of course there was the Spanish inquesition

#6    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

View Postangi chiesa, on 14 February 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

I understand that this was done because the catholic church wanted control of the people. If a woman cured your warts then she was a witch . Only Jesus cured the sick .Only he could work such miraclesAnd of course there was the Spanish inquesition
Then that would just defy the churches logic. My appologies if I'm mixing up 2 completely different parts of Christianity (I've never quite learned the difference between them); but if the Catholic church murdered people for being able to cure the sick, then why arent the priests who have supposedly removed demons from men and women, and cleansed babies from being tainted even glanced at?

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

#7    randym23

randym23

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

• the question IS the answer

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

View PostSkeptic Chicken, on 14 February 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

Then that would just defy the churches logic. My appologies if I'm mixing up 2 completely different parts of Christianity (I've never quite learned the difference between them); but if the Catholic church murdered people for being able to cure the sick, then why arent the priests who have supposedly removed demons from men and women, and cleansed babies from being tainted even glanced at?

because they were priests. This was WOMEN curing people. One fundamental element of Christianity (especially Catholicism is that women are inferior and the source of evil) I personally think the hole thing was just eliminating the competition. Most old religions had a strong matriarchal aspect.

and visit my site:
Posted Image

#8    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,142 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

Would be cool if she was found guilty... again.

:lol:

#9    Octans

Octans

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

This is only a publicity stunt, a poor one at that. Unfortunately, their posturing won't bring this poor woman back to life.

To gaze upon the firmament with wondrous, vast consciousness; and for a moment to live amongst the stars as if I had a thousand years thence—to expunge mortal anxiety and to simply marvel in that instant of existence—is the nearest I shall ever come to eternity.

#10    dharma warrior

dharma warrior

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 237 posts

• "Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

Better yet, lets put the Kardashian sisters on trial. A more demonic bunch of witches has never walked the earth.
Fire up the stake!

#11    MJNYC

MJNYC

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 150 posts

• The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

rqandym23, hogwash - way too many female saints in the catholic religion for women to be "inferior".  And let's  not for gete The Blessed Mother.  

Stop blaming the Catholic church for everything.  They aren't infallible, but please.

#12    MJNYC

MJNYC

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 150 posts

• The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

View PostEldorado, on 14 February 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

Would be cool if she was found guilty... again.

:lol:

LMAO - let's hope not! :)

#13    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

I agree with Jen this is a good thing. We should correct our past mistakes if for no other reason than to remember them and not repeat. And angi the disciples went out and healed also. It's well chronicled. Jesus said to them of His miracles "you will do these things and more" ...

#14    Robbie333

Robbie333

"Seek and you shall find"

• 2,790 posts

• Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there; I do not sleep.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

View Postangi chiesa, on 14 February 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

Yes, us Catholics are horrible people. We should all be done away with.

Robbie James

#15    Baldisar

Baldisar

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

the only reason it was mostly the catholics was the catholic church was the predominant church of the time.  All religions have their idiots, but the catholic church did start the crusades which was the attempt at Genocide of the pagan communities

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users