Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

dantes map of hell

LucidElement

Where is the original map of hell Painted by Botticelli , recounting Dantes Inferno ?

From my little research it is in the Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana, the Vatican Library. I could be mistaken, of course.

• Like 1

SMK is right, but you can always visit the Vaitcan website to double check ;). Also Cambridge and Oxford have amazing resources as well.

Wikipedia!

Where is the original map of hell Painted by Botticelli , recounting Dantes Inferno ?

Are you by any chance, reading Dan Brown's Inferno?

• Like 4

Are you by any chance, reading Dan Brown's Inferno?

....that's the scariest question I've ever seen posted here.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 4

....that's the scariest question I've ever seen posted here.

--Jaylemurph

Why is it scary? :o

Why is it scary? :o

It suggests someone might have picked up and read Dan Brown.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

I read the review, it talked about Botticelli's Mappa De L'Inferno .

I did the horrible mistake of reading his The Lost Symbol, I really wanted to tear the book in half.

• Like 1

Awful books with subjects deliberately chosen to cause controversy so people will buy the book to find out what all the fuss is about. Only to then find themselves reading complete drivel, badly written and with characters that are too 2 dimensional for even a graphic novel.

• Like 3

Awful books with subjects deliberately chosen to cause controversy so people will buy the book to find out what all the fuss is about. Only to then find themselves reading complete drivel, badly written and with characters that are too 2 dimensional for even a graphic novel.

Well said!

--Jaylemurph

i enjoy his books. He brings a lot of research to light but of course twists in his theories. But, I was at the vatican last summer and didnt really know about the map of hell at the time. I tried researching on the internet where it was and came up blank. So, where is it at???

i enjoy his books. He brings a lot of research to light but of course twists in his theories. But, I was at the vatican last summer and didnt really know about the map of hell at the time. I tried researching on the internet where it was and came up blank. So, where is it at???

He researches on his work, yes. But he tries a tad too hard to turn it into a fast paced thriller. The twists that he writes are too cliche.

And as for the map of hell ;its in the Vatican archives, you can't access it unless you're an academic researcher and the map revolves around your subject of research. Or you're an university student writing a thesis or a dissertation on that subject, you'd need an undertaking on your university's letterhead signed by your professor and stuff for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Atlantis-Newsletter 58: Atlantis in Dante's Inferno?!

http://www.atlantis-...wsl_archive.htm

Dante talks of submerging continents ... the fall of Phaeton? ... "king" Atlas?

This is interesting!

In Dante's Divine Comedy there are numerous ring structures in hell, purgatory and heaven. Yet these ideas have clearly other sources than Plato's Atlantis account. Nothing fits: The number of circles, their order, their function, etc. Only by force one could see a correspondance, here.

This is valid, too, for the three rivers in hell (Acheron, Styx, Phlegeton) and the hell's city Dis which in no way can be linked with the three water circles of the Atlantis city center. It would be purely arbitrary. There is by the way a fourth river in Dante's Inferno, the Cocytus.

http://www.atlantis-scout.de/atlantis_dante_engl.htm

Post #719, Doggerland thread:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=179840&st=705#entry4007449

And I have mentioned "ring structures" many times in that thread about a submerged area many (not me) think was the original Atlantis, or may have inspired Plato to make up a story about it (and that's what I think is somewhat possible - oral tradition).

It would be interesting to see a map of Dante's hell. Especially since he went into such detail about the specifics of the circles.

Thanks for the link! I had never seen that in all the Dante material, so that is definitely cool to see. Or should I say hot? :D

I would prefer this map, here:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Z4Bhp8nDYdA/SviXxJ7UDGI/AAAAAAAAAME/g0YHmrWL7gA/s1600/dantesInferno

And ... this map shows in small the globe which is the basis for the "Atlantis-in-Dante?" article, here:

http://www.atlantis-scout.de/atlantis_newsl_archive.htm

Enjoy!

He wanted to see the original, not an interpretation of it.

And why do you keep posting that link? It's YOU who owns that website, right?

• Like 2

He wanted to see the original, not an interpretation of it.

And why do you keep posting that link? It's YOU who owns that website, right?

You surely realized that there is no "original", the "original" is the *text*, not any map.

Each and every map is an interpretation.

And since this is not a Dante poetry forum but a "Ancient Mysteries & Alternative History" forum. Atlantis is fully fitting, here.

Especially, when I add value to the discussion concerning Dante's Aristotelian views which highly influenced his depictions.

• Like 1