Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Athiesm as an escape from reality?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#46    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• I am an agnostic, don't like atheist much, well some of them, they can be worse than any die in the wool believer.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 02 October 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

Agnosticism is the only resonable position for most people. It's not at all "wishy washy". Faith without reason and faith in flawed methodologies is just blind.

I agree.

View PostTiggs, on 02 October 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

Not believing in a higher power doesn't make you a God, regardless of how you'd like to capitalize it.

sez who?

If you must have  finale absolute answers, then become an  hard nosed atheist or a fundie of any religion, both seem to be black and white thinkers, and have only contempt for those who think differently.

#47    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• I am an agnostic, don't like atheist much, well some of them, they can be worse than any die in the wool believer.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

View PostEuphorbia, on 02 October 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

I truly believe that you aren't agnostic as you say you are......almost all of your posts are anti-atheist. You have zero credibility with me.......not that you care or anything what with me being an atheist!

Well since you are a village atheist, no I really don't, anymore that I would take anything seriously from those who belong to the Westboro Bapt. Church.

doug

Edited by dougeaton, 02 October 2012 - 11:18 PM.

If you must have  finale absolute answers, then become an  hard nosed atheist or a fundie of any religion, both seem to be black and white thinkers, and have only contempt for those who think differently.

#48    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,133 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:19 PM

View Postdougeaton, on 02 October 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

sez who?

Said every Agnostic never.

#49    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

View PostTheDarkEnergy, on 02 October 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

Okay, let me explain.

One day, after coming back home from work, you noticed that your door is broken and your TV is missing.

Theist: "God broke my door and took my TV. I dont care what others say. I believe that god did it and I wont listen to anyone".
Agnostic: "I am not sure who took my TV, and I dont want to know either. I will better spend rest of my life with doubts regarding who took my TV"
Atheist: "I think some burglars broke into my apartment. Let me find evidence. Let's check the CCTV footage. Oh it's not a group of goons, it's only one single thief. Okay now I know who took my TV"

Now what's closer to reality?

This is nonsense.  Believers have commons sense and would not look upon life in that kind of childish way....you need to look more closely at others.  Believers would seek the last option.  Also your take on agnostic's is also shallow.

View PostTiggs, on 02 October 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

Said every Agnostic never.

LOL like that.

#50    LiLToOnZ

LiLToOnZ

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

wheres waldo

#51    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

View Postdougeaton, on 02 October 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

Well since you are a village atheist, no I really don't, anymore that I would take anything seriously from those who belong to the Westboro Bapt. Church.

doug

More anti-atheist BS........why do you have so much hatred for us? Did an atheist push you down in the schoolyard as a child?

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#52    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,219 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:53 AM

doug

and here you loose all credibility. Has Euphorbia ever called for the death of anyone have they caled believes evil and should rot in dirt, NO so your example tells more of your extrimism no one elses.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#53    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,164 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:37 AM

View Postdougeaton, on 02 October 2012 - 11:10 PM, said:

The below, what you said was just you telling me and those who believe how superior you are and strong and yes how you face reality while believers don't....in other words you believe that theist are crazy or worse.  I am not a believer but I do have a an understanding of faith that you seem to be missing.....I would suggest that you tear down your straw man and start to look at things a bit more objectively.  You atheist are just as much a problem as fundie believers.  Even you last sentence is condescending.  I don't expect you to see it, atheist after all have no soul to look into.
I'd suggest you not make straw men, but then the majority of your posts wouldn't exist.

#54    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,380 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:55 AM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 03 October 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

and here you loose all credibility. Has Euphorbia ever called for the death of anyone have they caled believes evil and should rot in dirt, NO so your example tells more of your extrimism no one elses.

I think the description is more apt for the original poster.

#55    Arbenol

Arbenol

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:57 AM

"If you must have  finale absolute answers, then become an  hard nosed atheist or a fundie of any religion, both seem to be black and white thinkers, and have only contempt for those who think differently."

doug

Comparing the first quote with the second (both yours), I think maybe that it's you that has "contempt" for those that think differently. You call yourself agnostic (maybe you are) but you clearly have a huge problem with atheism. If you can deal with that you may be able to generate more useful discussions, rather than resorting to name-calling. I don't know what a 'village atheist' is, but I'll bet it's not a compliment.

#56    seishin

seishin

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 179 posts

• The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:01 AM

"There is no stronger drug than reality." Nevermore

Crush the industry, No security
Capital is worthless now
Your life I inside trade

#57    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:15 AM

Atheism is an escape from reality, but not a very successful one for the usual supects around here, who seem compelled to argue the point interminably. Why would you bother ? To save the world from superstition ? I can think of more pressing problems in the world. But, hey, if it makes you feel better......we all have our nagging doubts to contend with.

#58    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:46 AM

It is the THEISTS who are escaping from REALITY. I mean like do you  believe that you were created from mud and dust and that when you die you will rise up to the sky majestically and grow wings living in eternal happiness?

"If god doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." "A believer is not a thinker and a thinker is not a believer." - Marian Noel Sherman, M.D.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

#59    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,203 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

I think they think that since they are a theist and you are not, then you are escaping their reality of them being superior.

Thomas Paine wrote in The Age of Reason that “Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous execution, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the word of God."
Jewish gematria # 629:
The holy bible
Demonic inspiration

#60    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,203 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:53 AM

View PostHabitat, on 03 October 2012 - 03:15 AM, said:

Atheism is an escape from reality, but not a very successful one for the usual supects around here, who seem compelled to argue the point interminably. Why would you bother ? To save the world from superstition ? I can think of more pressing problems in the world. But, hey, if it makes you feel better......we all have our nagging doubts to contend with.

Take a look at the drunk with blood link in my signature, do you honestly believe "god" to be sane?

Thomas Paine wrote in The Age of Reason that “Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous execution, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the word of God."
Jewish gematria # 629:
The holy bible
Demonic inspiration

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users