Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How do plants grow toward the light?

plants light auxn photosynthesis

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,019 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

Plants have developed a number of strategies to capture the maximum amount of sunlight through their leaves. As we know from looking at plants on a windowsill, they grow toward the sunlight to be able to generate energy by photosynthesis. Now an international team of scientists has provided definitive insights into the driving force behind this movement—the plant hormone auxin.

http://phys.org/news...ototropism.html

Posted Image

#2    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,615 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

A friend of mine lives in a mobile home. The underpinning around the bottom of the trailer had a 1mm hole in it and some plant had grown under the trailer and was sticking out of this small hole into the sunlight.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#3    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

inadequate

• 10,540 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

ain't Nature wonderful?! I was thinking about this(the growing-towards-light thing), yesterday, when I was moving my indoor plants outside for the first time this year ........ so thanks for posting!

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

Imagination, the real and eternal world of which this Vegetable Universe is but a faint shadow. by William Blake, Jerusalem

#4    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,277 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

fields of sunflowers face the sun all day   .. it's fun to see.     hmmm   i wonder when they turn east again ?  lol   overnight?  first thing in the morning?    Now i have to observe them at sunrise sometime  and see !

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#5    _Only

_Only

• 6,672 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

View Postlightly, on 01 June 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

fields of sunflowers face the sun all day   .. it's fun to see. hmmm   i wonder when they turn east again ?  lol   overnight?  first thing in the morning? Now i have to observe them at sunrise sometime  and see !

Now I'm imagining every sunflower in a field all making an extreme turn back to the Sun's direction a second after it peeks out.. then one slow flower joins the rest a second later.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#6    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,121 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 01 June 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

Plants have developed a number of strategies to capture the maximum amount of sunlight through their leaves. As we know from looking at plants on a windowsill, they grow toward the sunlight to be able to generate energy by photosynthesis. Now an international team of scientists has provided definitive insights into the driving force behind this movement—the plant hormone auxin.

http://phys.org/news...ototropism.html

I thought it was already proven many decades ago that auxine was responsible. I remember doing experiments in high school (40 years ago), something like in the next drawing:

Posted Image

Also tagged with plants, light, auxn, photosynthesis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users